GM Volt Forum banner

Openings for rodents in base of Bolt EV

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  phil0909 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I went to the Boston Auto Show today and asked the question as to whether there are openings for rodents to get into the "engine" compartment as well as the battery area of the Bolt. As most people know rodents and other critters love to get into very small areas and chew on wiring and other things. A real issue for a vehicle that relies so heavily on electric wiring.

They couldn't tell me. I hope some of our new owners could answer this question.

On a positive note, the car was everything I hoped it would be.

#2 ·
I bought a 2013 Volt Premium that was so infested with mice that the owner's manual was entirely consumed for nesting materials in the air ducts. Subsequently, I was dispersed camping one night at Handies Peak and Redcloud Peak trailhead on Cinnamon Pass. A mouse found the same openings in the floor and air ducts of the Volt. I set traps that the mouse did not spring. The mouse complained about my driving and, being a country mouse, sneaked out of the Volt in the night and ran away to join the mice of the Eaglesnest Wilderness Area.

#3 ·
IMO, this would not be an unique issue that would be unique to the Bolt. I believe every car parked outside has this potential. I've known neighbors who parked cars outside and had issues. One neighbor said he spent nearly a grand getting his truck back to working condition.

At this early part of production, there is probably only a dozen or two Bolt owners on this forum, so you might not get the data you are looking for. However, if you're more curious if an EV is more of a magnet or what the cost might be for a repair then you should do a search on the G1 Volts and you might get a little more data and info. Maybe start a poll on that forum, "where do you park your car: inside, outside with no rodent problems, outside with rodent problems, or I'm old and can't remember where I parked it."

Good luck.

#5 ·
A mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a nickel if it wants to, not to mention a garage door. You're never going to seal up any car well enough. I'm thinking the only way to completely avoid the problem is to not attract them, either by the choice of materials or some kind of repellant.

#8 ·
Peppermint oil placed strategically will help keep them away. Your car may smell like a tube of traveling toothpaste, but it's better than mice.

I had mice in my Prius a few years ago. A service manager recommended putting a few drops on the engine block and inside the car. It worked well.

Best,
Rick.

P.S. Getting jealous of all you Bolt owners!! Bought '16 Volt last year. I am pretty sure my next car will be a BEV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.