GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As near as I can tell there is no way to do this. Anyone else think it would be helpful to be able to open the hatch from the driver's seat in order to improve rear visibility while backing up? Visibility out the back of the Volt it not too good. The backup camera helps, but I'd like to have a way to open the hatch without getting out of the car everytime I want to back up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nah. The back up camera works just fine, even with its crap resolution.

Rear window is completely useless. I never use it. I can easily do without a rear window overall.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bet you haven't tried backing up a utility trailer yet? I have, and could use the increased visibility of an open hatch.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
For that matter, it would be nice to have a power open and close feature (like an SUV), but I'm betting that was another cost and weight issue.

This is a Chevy after all. When the Cadillac version comes to market, look for all these niceties -- at a commensurate price premium.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nah. The back up camera works just fine, even with its crap resolution.

Rear window is completely useless. I never use it. I can easily do without a rear window overall.
I remember drivers ed class, it was exciting when we jumped on the back of that Dinosaurus for the first time. We were instructed to use the mirror with "some" assistance by looking back over the seat. The windows were small and pretty much crap.

The Drivers ed Dinsaurus had left and right side mirrors installed and we were particularly trained on using those mirrors.

I have backed utility trailors as well as boat trailors and my training kicked in from the stone age of using the side mirrors. I seldom if ever use the rear window to back up as the side mirrors offer all the visability that is needed. I find I can easily back up any van, box truck, RV etc as the side mirrors are giving all the view that you need. But I have to say this, the ability to use those side mirrors comes from practice, practice, practice.

I agree, the back window is limited but I don't understand why you want to look out of that junk anyway when you have the rear view and side mirrors to use. The VOLT was designed with some interesting limited viewing from almost all angles. Even the front prevents you to see what is low and in front of your car. Hopefully, the sensors will see something and warn you before you hit it.

My driving experiences with other vehicles have been a huge help, particularly with backing the vehicle with side mirrors, But then again, that is just me......

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too, @ 66 years old, have alot of experience. I just retired from over 35 years in the marine industry and have many hours at the boat ramp backing trailers down the ramp. But my neck doesn't twist the same anymore and I really have to be careful backing my Volt into my garage, which is full of equipment and a fairly tight fit. The sensors are constantly warning me that I am "close" to objects. I have even gone so far as to set up a "path" to follow using some 4 x 4's. I use the power mirrors to angle down so that I can see the blocks and slowly guide the rear tires to line up with the blocks. Now I have a small utility trailer that I have to maneuver into my back yard. It would just be easier with the hatch open.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Wth the volt, I pretty much always pull through perpendicular parking spots so I don't have to back up when leaving. At my previous job where parking was perpendicular to a sidewalk next to the building, I would back into the parking spot as I was an early bird and could easily get pole position. So just avoid backing up at all costs even with the rear camera. And ah place that has diagonal parking, just park way out in the boonies a teflon some mud needed exercisewe all need to shed a few pounds away

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Actually before asking for a interior power hatch release button I wish we had a real HATCH BACK design. I have a dog and there is no way she can jump up into the hatch area of our Volt. To bad the designers couldn't have lowered the hatch to open at floor level.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Actually before asking for a interior power hatch release button I wish we had a real HATCH BACK design. I have a dog and there is no way she can jump up into the hatch area of our Volt. To bad the designers couldn't have lowered the hatch to open at floor level.
Yes, my 110 pound Great Pyranese is starting to get a bit too big and heavy to lift into the hatchback. But he loves the little back window in the gen1, just stares at the other cars behind us.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wth the volt, I pretty much always pull through perpendicular parking spots so I don't have to back up when leaving. At my previous job where parking was perpendicular to a sidewalk next to the building, I would back into the parking spot as I was an early bird and could easily get pole position. So just avoid backing up at all costs even with the rear camera. And ah place that has diagonal parking, just park way out in the boonies a teflon some mud needed exercisewe all need to shed a few pounds away
Yea, I don't like backing up anymore and will go out of my way to find a parking slot that I can just drive straight out of. Love my Volt, but the visibility out of it is tricky. Don't want to get in the habit of parking by "braille".

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
With the backup camera and cross traffic alert, it's really no problem at all. Same for a big SUV where you can't come close to seeing anything directly.

And as for the physics of it, it's actually easier to back out of a space than pull out. You have more maneuverability. When you pull out, your tail follows a shorter arc, and if you get lazy you could clip something. And as far as I'm aware of, there aren't "side" sensors yet.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Yea, I don't like backing up anymore and will go out of my way to find a parking slot that I can just drive straight out of. Love my Volt, but the visibility out of it is tricky. Don't want to get in the habit of parking by "braille".
Having just taken a day trip to Chicagoland and attempting to park in a parking deck in lincoln park, I feel bad for anyone trying to drive anything bigger than a volt in city congestion. I had several instances where I was driving down a narrow street, with cars parked on both sides, and just barely enough space for 2 cars going opposite directions to pass each other without taking out a mirror or fender. I'm so glad I live in corn and bean fields where parking is plenty and free. Sadly, I got too close to a curb and did a nasty number on my 18" rims. I'll be plastidipping them soon to at least cover up the rash. Stay tuned for some white pearl wheels coming to a forum near you.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bet you haven't tried backing up a utility trailer yet? I have, and could use the increased visibility of an open hatch.
Did you take the side mirrors off or something? Why would a view out of the open hatch help back up a trailer? I back up trailers every single day and have no need to see through them. Lol

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
And as for the physics of it, it's actually easier to back out of a space than pull out. You have more maneuverability.
Not really. It's easier to back in for a plethora of reasons. Visibility is a main one, especially with my 25.5' long lifted mega cab Ram. Less likely to hit anything. Get more centered in the space. Can see easier to pull out.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Agreed, backing into a space is much easier. When leaving, you just pull out and you can actually see better than any parking assist sonar/radar/camera. Short of a crawling baby or dog, though, parking perpendicular with your head out IMO best.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Agreed, backing into a space is much easier. When leaving, you just pull out and you can actually see better than any parking assist sonar/radar/camera. Short of a crawling baby or dog, though, parking perpendicular with your head out IMO best.
Oh, the fun elemental would have with this... you must mean "with the nose of the car out" not hanging your head out of the driver's side window... although given your forum user name, maybe you mean something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts