GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off my disclaimer - I have no beneficial interest in the OpenEVSE group, my only intention here is to let Volt/Bolt owners know about a very good value and great quality product you may not know about.

OpenEVSE provides open source hardware for EVSE charging station manufacturers. But it also provides complete kits (or fully assembled) Level 1 and Level 2 charging stations. The kit form ones are incredibly good value and I can attest to the quality of the hardware they are using. With minimal technical skills and following their guides they can be assembled in about 30-60 minutes.

Building your Level 2 charger from a kit teaches you about how the system works and gives you a bit of fun at the same time. I can highly recommend it. You can also start with just the basic kit and then add WiFi energy reporting later if you wish.

The LCD panel provides a useful menu, lets you know what is going on with the system, how many amps your vehicle is drawing and the total kWh used. This is much more information than provided by many chargers.

If you have the skills to build this kit then you quite probably have the skill to connect it to your electrical panel for 240VAC - assuming you follow your local electrical code properly. Together this makes for a very reasonably priced Level 2 charger purchase and install.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
You may find a lot of us here in the early day were looking for something to do with that extra Arduino computer board :)

Only negative for me was finding out we were limited to just 6-8-12 Amps at 120 volts on the volt.

Lots of old links with picture ( the butter cookie biscuit tin housing was the best )

·
Registered
335 Posts
OpenEVSE is awesome. Met Chris (engineer behind OpenEVSE ) and he is a true electric vehicle and solar believer and a very good engineer. He open-sourced the OpenEVSE source code as well - unfortunately competitors started using it. My OpenEVSE charger been working flawlessly for two years. It is the most advanced and smallest wall mount charger that happens to be cheapest as well... Real time charge current display, programmable max current, over temp shut off, wifi connectivity... And it happens to be engineered and assembled in USA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts