GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in my garage with the volt plugged in. It was fully charged. i opened the trunk and all of a sudden the engine turned on. Is this normal? Can I prevent it from happening?

·
Registered
520 Posts
So I was in my garage with the volt plugged in. It was fully charged. i opened the trunk and all of a sudden the engine turned on. Is this normal? Can I prevent it from happening?
Are you sure the engine actually started (i.e. exhaust pipe was flowing exhaust), or did the radiator fan just kick on?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Volt will start the engine if you open the hood and it is turned on (car is "started"), opening the hatchback? No, it should not start.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Please post model year so we have something to work with.

Also, when you closed the trunk did it shut off?
Was this reproducible (can you make it happen repeatedly)?

As stated above, if the car is "ON" and you open the hood the rEX is supposed to start, it's a safety warning that the car is ENERGIZED. but this shouldn't be happening with the hatchback.

However, if the car is "ON" while you were outside of it, it may still have gone into an engine maintenance mode or fuel maintenance mode while you were out of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Which end of your Volt did you open to have the gas engine start? If you opened the Hood at the front, rather than the Hatch at the back, the engine does start. As mentioned in the 2016 manual:

Forced Engine On: Some vehicle conditions that force the engine to run: ...The hood is open or not completely latched.

There are some conditions when the battery charge is high enough to provide Electric Mode operation, but the engine still runs. They are: ...The hood being open or not completely closed and latched.

Here’s an interesting note in the 2016 Volt manual that does not appear in the 2015 and below manuals:

In either Electric Mode or Extended Range Mode, when the hood is open and the vehicle is moving at low speed or stopped, the engine will run without turning off if the vehicle is on, except when the electric drive unit is in N (Neutral). The engine will turn off or remain off when the hood is open in N (Neutral). The high voltage battery is neither charged nor discharged when this occurs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure the engine actually started (i.e. exhaust pipe was flowing exhaust), or did the radiator fan just kick on?

That's a good question. I'm not sure if it was the engine or radiator now that you say it. I'll have to keep an eye on it and pay attention next time to see if it was the engine or radiator fan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the car "On" at the time? Unless your trunk is under the hood, there is no logic in this.

The car was in the off position. I went inside the car and it was definitely off. The only way I was able to turn it off completely was turning the car to ON and then to OFF again. After I did then, everything finally turned off again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Volt will start the engine if you open the hood and it is turned on (car is "started"), opening the hatchback? No, it should not start.

I opened the hatchback and then I started hearing a sound from under the hood. It sounded like the engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please post model year so we have something to work with.

Also, when you closed the trunk did it shut off?
Was this reproducible (can you make it happen repeatedly)?

As stated above, if the car is "ON" and you open the hood the rEX is supposed to start, it's a safety warning that the car is ENERGIZED. but this shouldn't be happening with the hatchback.

However, if the car is "ON" while you were outside of it, it may still have gone into an engine maintenance mode or fuel maintenance mode while you were out of the vehicle.
I have a 1 week old 2017 Volt LT.

When I closed the trunk, the engine remained on. I went inside the car and the car was definitely in "off" mode because I had to put my foot on the brake to turn the car on. I got inside the car and turned on the car (the engine remained on) and turned off the car, and everything finally turned off again including the engine. I attempted to reproduce but no luck.

The car was plugged in and inside my garage. It was fully charged.

I don't know if this will matter but the night before, I drove home and the car was completely drained of battery so I drove home with the extender. I did not lock the car over night. Maybe the car thought it was still out of juice when I opened the trunk so the engine turned on to generate power for the interior lights? Just a wild guess. Seems like an anomaly..not sure if I should worry about it.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
I opened the hatchback and then I started hearing a sound from under the hood. It sounded like the engine.
Was the car plugged in?

Also, try turning the car on, then popping the hood to hear what the ICE actually sound s like in your garage. Compare that with what you heard. The hatch does not control the engine. Whatever sound you heard was a coincidence rather than connected to opening the trunk.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If the battery is hot, it will run the coolant pump and the radiator fans(s). It is kind of noisy. If you force the actual gas engine to start, it is pretty obvious. you hear the exhaust pipe burble at the rear and the direct injection is quite tickety-tack sounding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the battery is hot, it will run the coolant pump and the radiator fans(s). It is kind of noisy. If you force the actual gas engine to start, it is pretty obvious. you hear the exhaust pipe burble at the rear and the direct injection is quite tickety-tack sounding.
I'll just have to be on the lookout for this. I'll try popping the trunk again tomorrow morning before work to see if it happens again.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Yes, this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I couldn't replicate it today. But now that I think about it, I do remember the car was JUST finished charging when I opened the trunk. Do you think it was because the battery was still hot from charging for 12 hours. So perhaps when I opened the trunk, the car started drawing power for the interior on a hot battery so the coolant pump and radiator fans had to kick in?

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
I couldn't replicate it today. But now that I think about it, I do remember the car was JUST finished charging when I opened the trunk. Do you think it was because the battery was still hot from charging for 12 hours. So perhaps when I opened the trunk, the car started drawing power for the interior on a hot battery so the coolant pump and radiator fans had to kick in?
Were you also breathing or standing or using your eyes at the time? These too have been known to sometimes trigger the cars battery thermal management system. :)

There is a difference between causal and two things that simply happen at the same time. Opening the hatch does not affect the TMS. If it did, you could replicate it again and again, as well as it opposite: the TMS never goes on unless you open the hatch.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
From the manual if anyone cares to read it (but who am I kidding, no one does that do they :) ) :

"The charging system may run fans and pumps that result in sounds from the vehicle while it is turned off. Additional unexpected clicking sounds may be caused by the electrical devices used while charging."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts