GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been addressed already, please tell me...

... when I open windows to let fresh air in, I can't find a configuration of open or closed, front or back windows that doesn't make that irritating air pressure noise and feeling. Usually in other cars I've owned, open back windows do this, but all you have to do is crack a front window and it goes away.

Does anyone have a solution? I'd like to open the windows whenever possible, but I haven't been able to at speeds above 30 mph.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Does anyone have a solution? I'd like to open the windows whenever possible, but I haven't been able to at speeds above 30 mph.
Yeah, it does that. Best I can suggest is set the climate control to fan only, and make sure neither of the recirc options are selected (you can select "outside air" by pressing whichever of the two recircs are lit, if one is lit). Then fan up to as much noise as you want.

Running the fan probably uses far fewer miles of range then the aerodynamic hit of driving with a window open.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes this buffeting noise and feel, can be disturbing, and can mess with your air drums. Get the speed and windows aranged into the right configuration and the air pressue creates a resonance that vibrated back in forth. I 1st noticed this when I drove the new Buick Enclave. Cars today are very air-tight and seal extreamly well, they also have hidden pop vents to allow air to exit the cabin but not enter. These "flaps" allow air to exit for different reasons including an "Airbag Deployment". Interesting fact: early test cases of airbag deployments caused windows to shatter due to the violent compression of cabin air, these flaps corrected the issues.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If this has been addressed already, please tell me...

... when I open windows to let fresh air in, I can't find a configuration of open or closed, front or back windows that doesn't make that irritating air pressure noise and feeling. Usually in other cars I've owned, open back windows do this, but all you have to do is crack a front window and it goes away.

Thanks,
John
This is GMs eco enforcement buffeting noise. At speeds above 30 mph the EEBN is so great as to induce the driver to roll up the windows, thereby helping them to achieve greater efficiency. Resistance is futile you will be assimilated. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I open the windows about one to two inches.......seems to work well and offers pretty good circulation.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Are vent visors available yet ? Do you think they would help ? I would want to have the circulation of outside air also and not because I don't use Beano.

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
I remember a Myth Buster episode that tested the fuel economy effects of open windows vs. A/C. As I recall, A/C won because open windows great drag, and the drag increases dramatically the higher the car's speed. Apparently windows open on a slow drive will trounce using AC, but using A/C at high speed will beat windows open. I wonder if GM has any data on this? Regardless, that open "fluttering" can border on painful.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah but there will be times we want the windows open. Like when we see someone we know buying gas so we can wave at them. The window shades are always great for me. But I never did put them on my Prius. The stick on type are bulkier so I have always used the smaller ones from WeatherTech.com. They cost more but made in the USA and are more aerodynamic.

Volt # ???? (just ordered)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. When I first got my Cobalt I started up the freeway with the windows partially down. It set up a "flutter" that was so loud and intense that I was sure I had a flat tire. I actually pulled over to check. Finally the penny dropped and I rolled up the windows. Noise gone.

Finally, I decided to just bite the bullet and turn on the AC on the freeway, consoling myself with the theory put forth by Steverino. Plus, did you know that you can hear the radio a lot better? Who knew?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts