1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It’s PSA , that’s all that needs to be said on the matter

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
The stated reason for the Opel loss: "Costs for the Ampera-e are higher because it is subject to different expenses: shipping, obviously, as well as a tax for not being assembled in the EU."

The article goes on to explain that his per unit loss on the Ampere-e doesn’t mean that the Chevy Bolt program here in the U.S. is losing money. That whatever the negative gross margin there is is due mainly due to a lack of scale, and it is before accounting for ZEV credits.

"That’s why you shouldn’t ask like why, well, GM appears to be losing $10,000 a car on the Bolt. No, they’re not. They are making it up on CARB credits.” -Elon Musk

·
Registered
692 Posts
Exactly as I've stated before. BoltEV in not a loss for GM only due to ZEV credits and as I've stated before, without them it's making a loss for GM.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
That's Opel's problem, not GM's. Too bad, so sad.

And as pointed out above, that $10k loss is a bunch of unsubstantiated conjecture.

GM should become more like Tesla and clear 25% gross profits from all the vehicles they make, because we know how much $$$ Tesla makes every quarter....oh snap, nevermind.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Caveat emptor.:p

·
Registered
692 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking. The European Union charges a flat rate of 10 percent on imported automobiles.
How much does USA charge for imports from Europe?

BTW, GM should produce original Ampera and AmperaE in Europe as well. Nissan does it with the Leaf, why couldn't GM do it?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
How much does USA charge for imports from Europe?

BTW, GM should produce original Ampera and AmperaE in Europe as well. Nissan does it with the Leaf, why couldn't GM do it?
The standard tariff for importing cars to the U.S. is 2.5 percent of their value. For pickup trucks and commercial vans, the tariff is 25 percent.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Then Europe's tariff is to high. How is GM going to profitably sell it's own cars without a plant here? Has GM lost interest in Europe and are betting everything on China (outside of US)?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Then Europe's tariff is to high. How is GM going to profitably sell it's own cars without a plant here? Has GM lost interest in Europe and are betting everything on China (outside of US)?
Dude, GM is OUT of Europe. Pulled out with the Opel sale to PSA.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Has GM lost interest in Europe and are betting everything on China (outside of US)?
GM's been losing money in Europe for decades. It's about time someone put an end to it. They shut down the Holden plant in Australia too.

China? Big market there. Is it profitable? Ask Mary. I can't look at the books. Neither can UBS, which is why I'm a bit dubious on their per-unit Bolt loss claims.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Then they were doing it wrong. How so every other car maker makes profit in Europe and I'm not talking about European car makers, but South Korean and Japanese, for example.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hello KonaEV!

When compared to the Chevrolet Bolt EV, the Hyundai Kona Electric has some advantages.

1. It’s a Hyundai, this means that its warranty will be much better (5 years bumper to bumper compared to 2 years for AmperaE).
2. The Kona Electric will be more efficient. It’ll have more recent battery cells (NCM 811), which will make the battery pack at least 150 kg lighter than the one present today in the Bolt EV – with NCM 622 cells. Furthermore, it’ll have a heat pump, especially important in colder places.
3. Being lighter not only makes it more efficient, but will also contribute for better performance (faster acceleration) and increased safety (less stopping distance).
4. Adaptive cruise control. It’s unbelievable that the Bolt EV has the radars needed for AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) and it’s lacking adaptive cruise control…
5. Having a entry-level battery option (39,2 kWh) will make it cheaper.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Very sad for the European Bolt...we have to admit Mr Trump is right about how the European and Chinese markets punish USA exports in unfair trade.

·
1,027 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts