GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls!
Today while returning home I noticed a kind of burning smell/hot electric motor smell in the cabin. After parking I sniffed around the car only to find the smell came from the rear, near the wheels. It was not tyres or brakes, those smelled just hot. Anyone has any ideia?
A few months back I noticed something while I was changing a wheel. The collant pump (the one at the rear) was on even after turning off the car. It ran continuously until it started to smell the same way as today. I turned the car on and off and it turned off. But today it was running normally I guess. I bought the car used. Is it normal to hear the pump while driving?
I really appreciate any insights. Also I'm new to the forum, so please forgive any errors or lack of know about.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't think any kind of burning smell is normal except for one. It is the one made the first time you run the engine after it has not been run for a long time. This seems to burn off a certain amount of some substance like road film, dirt, debris, etc. Owners often comment that it comes into the cabin smelling like burnt popcorn. It goes away after a little while (15-30 minutes of running the engine?).

If that is not the smell you have, check for hot brakes. If the engine was running, check for debris stuck next to the exhaust system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Barry.
It's not the engine smell, I know that one, almost moldy.
Today I lifted the trunk floor and I didn't smell a thing. The smell comes from underneath the car and only after being on for a while. Not necessarily driving, just on. So I think it really is the circulation pump or some circuit nearby. The brakes were fine.
Another thing I noticed today and want to know if it's normal: when the car is on, i can year a electrical noise from the LED DRL at the front. When off, the noise goes away. Could it be the 400 to 12v inverter giving up and injecting noise into the 12v system?
I booked a visit to the dealer, but they can only receive the car by the end of January.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I'm not sure which pump you are referring to.

I have seen a cooling fan located under the trunk floor that forces air through a duct that appears to cool the DC-DC converter, which is also located under the trunk floor. I don't know if that cooling air is then vented to the exterior of the vehicle, but if so, and if your converter is very hot, maybe that is related to the odor you noticed, and also the sound you heard back there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you check the 12V battery and all the wires comes out of it? My Ampera had a problem that the plastic box on top of the 12V battery melted and almost catches fire. It was hard to find that sometimes it was making a bad connection, but I advise you to check well. I was telling to the service employee that I smell something like burn and they told me everything it's fine until third time we've noticed the problem. Noise from the pump under it's normal. Did you change the 12V battery until now. There are known problems with 12V battery in general with Ampera and Volt.
Also check this post:
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?113913-Issues-from-loose-12V-Battery-connections-FAQ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm yeah I've seen that fan. It was not it. I've used the car in the last few days and the smell gradually went away. Everything it normal. I hope it was just some dirt or something like that. Thank you for all the help. I'll post any news.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts