GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Page 195 - Using Cruise Control on Hills

"If a lower gear is being used while going downhill, this causes the vehicle to have improved control of vehicle speed by using a combination of engine and regenerative braking depending on vehicle conditions."

Last time I checked the Volt's engine had no effect on slowing a moving vehicle. :D

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
There are times when the ICE is connected to the wheels.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Much of the gen1 manual was copy and pasted from other vehicles.
Including features the vehicle never had! ;)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There's tons of it. Some of it is simply what I call "historical baggage"
Case in point, the Bolt still has a formal "engine compartment" AND an "Engine Control Module" (ECM) and (as someone pointed out in another thread) a 12V battery in order to be able to "crank the engine"
You can't expect them to re-write history I guess
WOT

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see there is a section on how to remove a flat tire and install the non-existing donut too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I see there is a section on how to remove a flat tire and install the non-existing donut too.
With the mixing and matching of Volt and Bolt info I am not sure if you are talking about the Bolt or the Volt here. If you are talking about the Volt, then that section of the owners manual is needed due to the donut spare being optional equipment. If it is for the Bolt, I wonder if a spare donut is a possible option we are not yet aware of?

Keith

·
Registered
34 Posts
WOT
Actually, I do expect Chevy to put out a manual that applies to the $40K car they have sold me, not an aggregate of a bunch of older cars with different technologies. When I buy a $10 digital watch, I am not surprised if it is written in fractured English, but for a device that is not only extremely expensive and that I trust with my life, correctness matters. Having said that, I don't remember finding anything that would have an impact on safety in my gen2 manual.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The Consumer Reports' first drive of the 2017 Chevy Bolt has the reviewer saying "gas pedal" twice. It is hard for gas-heads to remember that they are driving a vehicle without a gas engine. Probably the owner manual editor is another gas-head!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
There's tons of it. Some of it is simply what I call "historical baggage"
Case in point, the Bolt still has a formal "engine compartment" AND an "Engine Control Module" (ECM) and (as someone pointed out in another thread) a 12V battery in order to be able to "crank the engine"
WOT
I would redefine the "engine compartment" or "engine bay" as the "front compartment" or "front bay", so even the Model S "frunk" can be classified as the "front compartment" and when GM produce a new EV that has no motor up front. And the ECM should be now defined as the PCM (Propulsion Control Module) to cover gas engines or electric motors. The "crank the engine" definition did crack me up, though!

·
Registered
118 Posts
"If a lower gear is being used while going downhill, this causes the vehicle to have improved control of vehicle speed by using a combination of engine and regenerative braking depending on vehicle conditions."

Last time I checked the Volt's engine had no effect on slowing a moving vehicle. :D
The car also doesn't have multiple gears per se; certainly not in any way that the driver can select. The "L" gearshift setting doesn't affect gear ratios. I don't know offhand how it would affect speed and control when going downhill.

knodal said:
Actually, I do expect Chevy to put out a manual that applies to the $40K car they have sold me, not an aggregate of a bunch of older cars with different technologies.
I have experience in the publishing industry (with over 20 books on computers to my name), so I understand the technical writing and editing process pretty well. No doubt they've re-used materials from older manuals for a number of reasons:

• It's cost-effective to cut-and-paste from older manuals.
  • It's UN-BLEEPING-BELIEVABLY boring to write the same thing over and over and over and over again! They'd either be sending people to the loony bin or have horrible turnover if they had to write 100% new manuals for every car.
  • Writing the same thing multiple times means there's a greater chance of errors appearing -- on the 3rd time writing, some detail might be overlooked; on the 5th time, another detail will be stated wrongly or in a confusing manner; and on the 8th time, a typo will creep in that will turn a sentence into utter gibberish. Re-using the same well-tested paragraphs, by contrast, means they can be fairly certain it's accurate -- until, of course, the technology changes radically, as it has with the Volt.

Another factor is that the authors and editors are probably not the engineers who designed the car. The manuals may cross the desks of those engineers, but they've probably got more important things to do than to scrutinize every word of a rather dense and boring manual. Thus, something obscure like the reference to gear ratios could easily slip through. The reference to a spare tire might be a little more surprising, since I'd expect that to be on a manual-preparation checklist. ("Does any version of the car come with a spare tire? Does any version of the car have a sunroof?" Etc.)

Speaking as an author, I'm utterly unsurprised that the Volt's manual has a few references to technologies that the car doesn't use. Putting together an owner's manual is not a glamorous and exciting job, and no amount of money thrown at it will guarantee a document with no mistakes.

That said, anybody concerned about these issues should certainly contact GM. If the people who put together the manual are professionals, they'll be collecting errata to be incorporated into the next printing or revision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts