GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-to-spend-7-billion-in-sweeping-climate-change-plan/article30029081/

$285 million for electric vehicle incentives:
* up to $14k rebates for electric vehicle purchase or lease
* up to $1k for home charging install and unit
* take the provincial portion of the HST off in EV sales
* extra subsidy program for low- and moderate-income households to get scrap older cars off the road and replace with electric
* free charging overnight (!!!)
* more charging stations - gov buildings, LCBO outlets, infrastructure in place for plug-ins on all new buildings
* plan to increase EV sales to 5% of all vehicles sold by 2020, 12% by 2025, and aim to get an EV or PHEV in every multivehicle driveway by 2024, ~ 1.7 million cars.

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
How would they give free charging overnight in someone's home..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would they give free charging overnight in someone's home..
Work with hydro companies to provide a modified TOU for EV owners? Or have the person's L2 charging station on a different meter and have the kWh credited back to you every billing cycle? Not sure.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ontario is an example of how to reduce carbon with its low carbon grid system. I can see why GM sold 2016 Volts in Ontario and Quebec when there were only about a dozen states in the US that could buy them.

Here is a look at the Ontario ISO (Independent System Operator), which controls the flow of power in the province.

http://www.ieso.ca/

At 7:40, about 7300 MW is from nuclear, 4560 from hydro, 1650 from natural gas, and 2000 from wind. This is definitely a low carbon grid!

The current wholesale power price is 0.53 cents per kWh. Note that at night (about 3 am this morning), the power price was zero! This is because the nuclear plants want to run at full power 24/7. Their fuel core lasts longer if they operate this way. So to meet the low power demand at night, other power plants must cut back or shutdown. This can be inefficient.

Thus, by offering free charging during the early morning hours, the power demand increases, the power plants can operate more efficiently and the EVs save money.

I think what we see here is the model grid/EV system of the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whatever you do don't model your energy economy on that of Ontario. Wholesale is one thing. We are building unnecessary capacity, green or otherwise, that costs a fortune to produce and then sell it below wholesale to neighbouring States while ratepayers are footing the bill. Not to mention the record amounts of debt the province has incurred and seems in no hurry to pay off.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The current wholesale power price is 0.53 cents per kWh. Note that at night (about 3 am this morning), the power price was zero! This is because the nuclear plants want to run at full power 24/7. Their fuel core lasts longer if they operate this way. So to meet the low power demand at night, other power plants must cut back or shutdown. This can be inefficient.
I fully agree with your post however keep in mind the whole sale price is actually the Global adjustment (currently @ 11.13 cents/KWh) plus the hourly price. The hourly price does often go negative at night.

I will also add that in 2014 green energy in Canada employed more people than the oil sands. Today it's likely more like 2 to 1 at least.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/clean-energy-provides-more-jobs-than-oilsands-report-says-1.2857520

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Whatever you do don't model your energy economy on that of Ontario. Wholesale is one thing. We are building unnecessary capacity, green or otherwise, that costs a fortune to produce and then sell it below wholesale to neighbouring States while ratepayers are footing the bill. Not to mention the record amounts of debt the province has incurred and seems in no hurry to pay off.
Not true. Not in the slightest.

The latest wind contracts put those costs below that of the projected costs from a refurbished nuclear.
http://environmentaldefence.ca/2016/04/26/cost-competitive-renewable-energy-has-arrived-in-ontario/

The investments we have made in green energy are starting to pay off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Red herrings in the referred article aside. Their claims might hold water if wind power were actually displacing nuclear, but it's not. The wind generators have guaranteed access to market which means any power over the baseload is wasteful and thanks to those guarantees expensive wind generated. To lower the baseload relatively cheap, 4.4¢/kwh, hydro power is jettisoned. Replacing cheap green power with more expensive green power doesn't help anyone.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I'll take free power from midnight to 4am. Thx Wynne.

I can't see them installing second meters for every EV if they want such a large number.
Cheaper to just wipe out certain TOU hours (which they have full computerized records of) in a rebate than pay to install new meters.

This also solves the problem with having excess at night they have to pay to get rid of (which is ridiculous in itself) - they're technically saving money with such a plan. Instead of earning -$ they're earning $0 to get rid of the electrons.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll take free power from midnight to 4am. Thx Wynne.

I can't see them installing second meters for every EV if they want such a large number.
Cheaper to just wipe out certain TOU hours (which they have full computerized records of) in a rebate than pay to install new meters.

This also solves the problem with having excess at night they have to pay to get rid of (which is ridiculous in itself) - they're technically saving money with such a plan. Instead of earning -$ they're earning $0 to get rid of the electrons.
They can easily see who qualifies for "free power" by using the information from the Ontario home charger and installation $1000 rebate program database. If you didn't go through that program, I'm sure you can register your charger to qualify.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
That sounds like exactly what they're planning to do. In the details of the plan it says it will be an enhanced TOU plan, likely only available to verified EV addresses

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts