GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The New Ontario conservative gov’t just killed the EV rebate program that provided a $14,000 rebate (at the dealer level) last night. The program was funded by the hated carbon tax/ cap and trade deal that Ontario was in with Quebec and states like California. This was a much hated tax on any use of carbon. Gas prices will now go down. It was one of the few good programs provided by the previous Liberal gov’t who believed in big gov’t tax and spend programs.

Really going to hurt all the model 3 Teslas that people are waiting for as well as the Bolt and Volt.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ontarios-new-government-kills-ev-rebates-lowers-gas-prices

·
Registered
35 Posts
The New Ontario conservative gov’t just killed the EV rebate program that provided a $14,000 rebate (at the dealer level) last night. The program was funded by the hated carbon tax/ cap and trade deal that Ontario was in with Quebec and states like California. This as a much hated tax on any use of carbon. Gas prices will now go down. It was one of the few good programs provided by the previous Liberal gov’t who believed in big gov’t tax and spend programs.

Really going to hurt all the model 3 Teslas that people are waiting for as well as the Bolt and Volt.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ontarios-new-government-kills-ev-rebates-lowers-gas-prices

Yep, and Ford worded it to sound as accommodating as possible, there haven't been any bolts/volts readily available on lots in > 2 months now, so he looses nothing in doing so.

Looks like I'm among the stuck, dealer I was talking to had found one in Quebec, and said they could pull it in for me. They strung me along for a couple weeks, then had nothing to show for it, by which point pretty much every last drop evaporated.

With a sudden $13k price hike, and dealers demanding MSRP[+] across the board, looks like I may be looking for a different vehicle when turning in my '10 golf tdi. Shame really, simply too late to the party :\.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Prices will come down at the manufacturer and dealer levels to compensate, assuming they have any desire/need to sell the cars.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I suspect once the dust settles, there will be some deals on the cars.
And don't expect the gas prices to come down, despite what Ford and his cronies are saying.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just was in at my dealer, despite showing some Volts on their website the reality is that they sell anything that they have been allocated before the car lands at the dealer. Saw one new Volt being prepped for delivery, which may have been one of those. Dealers stopped swapping Volts long ago because of the demand, so not surprised they could not steal one from Quebec.
Yep, and Ford worded it to sound as accommodating as possible, there haven't been any bolts/volts readily available on lots in > 2 months now, so he looses nothing in doing so.

Looks like I'm among the stuck, dealer I was talking to had found one in Quebec, and said they could pull it in for me. They strung me along for a couple weeks, then had nothing to show for it, by which point pretty much every last drop evaporated.

With a sudden $13k price hike, and dealers demanding MSRP[+] across the board, looks like I may be looking for a different vehicle when turning in my '10 golf tdi. Shame really, simply too late to the party :\.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
663 Posts
so any one that bought one with the rebate can drive around for free for the first year and sell it for what they paid for, because a new one is 14000.00 more now -timing is everything

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just was in at my dealer, despite showing some Volts on their website the reality is that they sell anything that they have been allocated before the car lands at the dealer. Saw one new Volt being prepped for delivery, which may have been one of those. Dealers stopped swapping Volts long ago because of the demand, so not surprised they could not steal one from Quebec.
It's a shame dealers lack the basic respect for their customers. Any other business wouldn't list goods on their site they know they cannot sell at the advertised terms/price/etc. (since it's pretty clear anybody who was buying a volt/bolt was entirely intent on getting the incentive, if you don't have any stock to give people, you can't honor that deal).

Timing is indeed everything, had I known my original dealer would waste my time to that extent, I could have picked one up from the states, and still qualified for the incentive, given I originally had > 1 month to play with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so any one that bought one with the rebate can drive around for free for the first year and sell it for what they paid for, because a new one is 14000.00 more now -timing is everything
I just did that because it was going to be canceled.
On my second Volt now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
re-reading the notice, I can't help but wonder one thing...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-incentive-program.shtml

"Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.", I wonder if that's limited to Ontario dealers (who haven't had sh*t on the lot for months now), or one could get a BC volt for example, off the lot? :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Shame on Ford and his knuckle dragging cronies. Ontario was on the right track and the stupid PC Government will now take us back to the dark ages. Forget the future. Lowering gas prices just encourages people to buy the wrong vehicles and live farther from where they work. Someone has to lead - Ontario will now stumble and follow.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Honestly surprised it took as long as it did to be axed.
This is only the beginning, a fun 4 years ahead!

On a federal level, if this tarriff BS continues with the US, GM could actually come out way ahead in Canada if they built the fabled V-quinox and assembled it in ON (gas model already is). Instantly 25% cheaper than EVs assembled in the US.
And when you're talking $40k+ vehicles, that's basically the value of this rebate right there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For anybody in Ontario curious about my suggestion about cheating the rule (IE: getting a car that's already on a lot, before Sept-10th, just not a lot in Ontario): I ran this question by the Ministry of Finance, and this was the official response:

You had requested communications for the dealership inventory lists. I have received this response for you.

The vehicle has to be on the approved list by MTO for on lot stocks - this only applies to vehicles on an Ontario lot as of July 11, 2018 of an Ontario auto franchise dealer. Vehicles from another jurisdiction are not eligible

Thank you

Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP)

Ontario Ministry of Finance

Accounts Management & Collections Branch

Regional Tax Administration Program Delivery
Looks like there's no way to dance around it, this statement goes one step further, indicating the vehicle had to be on the lot on the 11th (as I see some dealers are still receiving new 2018's into their stock, maybe deals that feel through? very confusing).

Hope that helps somebody out there!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Looks like my 6 year old 2013 will be around for a few more years now. I was considering a 2019 or perhaps something of an EV SUV if it surfaced in the next year or so. Without an incentive and if the prices remain at a significant premium, it just will not be worth it on paper. Having said that, it will certainly be tough to give up the electric ride as it so so superior to traditional ICE.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is really bad news for EV enthusiasts in Ontario. It's a shame.
The ONLY upside to this, (If we can call this an upside...) will be that dealers in Quebec / BC will maybe have less difficulty to get some cars to sell since the demand from Ontario will reduce for sure.

They could have reduced the rebates instead of shutting them all.
The worst decision IMO is the complete stop on the expansion of the charging stations network. That will have a very very long term negative effect on EVs adoption in OR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Much hated tax by who? It was the best deal we could get if we actually wanted to encourage green energy and make polluters pay. It was definitely cheaper than having the federal tax forced on us - but of course Shiny Head Ford won't wear politically even though he is the cause.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts