GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to set up Onstar wifi to get performance comparable to using cell phone directly on LTE?

In a weak signal area (1-2 bars signal)
Car wifi download 1.86 Mbps, upload 1.41 Mbps (iPhone on car Wifi)
iPhone download 5.43 Mbps, upload 1.55 Mbps (iPhone on LTE)

In a strong signal area (5 bars signal)
Car wifi download 8.90 Mbps, upload 16.0 Mbps (iPhone on car Wifi)
iPhone download 22.9 Mbps, upload 15.4 Mbps (iPhone on LTE)

Onstar support claims the car wifi is much faster than cell service due to rooftop antenna and so on, but not sure how to configure for that. Otherwise what is the value of an Onstar wifi subscription?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Keep in mind that your car is on AT&T. Unless your phone is also AT&T, you may not be hitting the same cell tower.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'll guess that it's related to the frequency bands being used. Presumably the iPhone cell chipset is newer than the one in your car. What year is your Volt and what model is your iPhone?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll guess that it's related to the frequency bands being used. Presumably the iPhone cell chipset is newer than the one in your car. What year is your Volt and what model is your iPhone?
Good point. Volt=2018 (Premier) iPhoneX=A1901 (intel modem)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Another question is "how fast do you NEED?" 1 Mbps will feed two kid show video streams, leaving nearly that for whatever else you need to do while you're driving around....

·
Registered
678 Posts
When we had the WiFi free for the first three months (we did not renew it), my Samsung S7 Edge hotspot on Verizon was constantly at least twice as fast...

·
Registered
133 Posts
It isn't worth the money. My phone on AT&T via Cricket (which restricts download speeds to 8 Mbps) will usually run two to four times faster than the On-Star service. On-Star says there's a problem with the car but I don't believe it. I think they are reselling a low speed service. When this month is up--it's over for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts