GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 volt. I understand that there is a basic 5-year free OnStar service, and there are other additional services that need monthly subscription. I did go through the initial set up call with onstar after I got the car, but I insisted and did not give out my credit card to renew these "additional" services (like LTE service and roadside/safety services). The rep REALLY wanted my credit card info.

My 1-month free trial is ending in two weeks.

1. Do I lose out remote-starting and preconditioning the car from the app and website when that happens?
2. Also, I won't be able to use any of the (bloatware,built-in) apps that requires data? Not that I'd miss them, just want to know. Good thing we all have smart phones nowadays.

Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You only received 30 days for your free trial? I received 90 days. Sorry, I can't help with your question as I just got my Volt.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 70k+ Miles
522 Posts
The plan has changed over time, so I would recommend pushing the On-Star button and ask to ensure you have the correct information.

If the 5 year free section is the same, this does include the remote key fob function. I personally have kept everything including weather and traffic, but minus navigation as I have this built in.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
From Chevy Website: http://www.chevrolet.com/electric/volt-plug-in-hybrid

• Chevrolet Connected Access† with 10 years of standard connectivity, including 5 years of mobile app EV and Remote Key Fob commands
  • Enjoy a 1-month trial of Chevrolet Connected Services and 1 month of OnStar® Safety & Security Coverage†

5 years of mobile app EV and Remote Key Fob commands (aka OnStar Basic) is free and includes Unlock/Lock, Precondition Start/Stop and Horns & Lights Start/Stop. These will continue to work even after OnStar paid/trial subscription expires.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one month free must be a brand new deal - I got 90 days free 'everything' (including WiFi) when I bought my used 2017. They've been bugging me regularly to renew as it expires the end of this month. I haven't used anything related to it so far, so I'm guessing i won't need to renew

Same thing with the Siruis XM - 90 days free, but I've never accessed it during the trial, so I guess I won't miss it either

Don

·
Registered
659 Posts
If Chevy really wanted to "hook" a few more of us they really should offer the full OnStar program at least until the vehicle warranty is up. More of us would probably get used to having the features and then maybe willing to pay for at least some of them down the road.
I enjoy the features that came with my car, but I don't really need to pay for features that I haven't missed because I have not used them.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If Chevy really wanted to "hook" a few more of us they really should offer the full OnStar program at least until the vehicle warranty is up. More of us would probably get used to having the features and then maybe willing to pay for at least some of them down the road.
I enjoy the features that came with my car, but I don't really need to pay for features that I haven't missed because I have not used them.
They used too. When I bought my 2017 in February of 2016, I got 3 years of 'full strength' Onstar.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From Chevy Website: http://www.chevrolet.com/electric/volt-plug-in-hybrid

• Chevrolet Connected Access† with 10 years of standard connectivity, including 5 years of mobile app EV and Remote Key Fob commands
  • Enjoy a 1-month trial of Chevrolet Connected Services and 1 month of OnStar® Safety & Security Coverage†

5 years of mobile app EV and Remote Key Fob commands (aka OnStar Basic) is free and includes Unlock/Lock, Precondition Start/Stop and Horns & Lights Start/Stop. These will continue to work even after OnStar paid/trial subscription expires.
Thanks. I was on that page several times, I swear. But I totally missed it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one month free must be a brand new deal - I got 90 days free 'everything' (including WiFi) when I bought my used 2017. They've been bugging me regularly to renew as it expires the end of this month. I haven't used anything related to it so far, so I'm guessing i won't need to renew

Same thing with the Siruis XM - 90 days free, but I've never accessed it during the trial, so I guess I won't miss it either

Don
Yeah, 1-month is the standard now. When i talked to the OnStar rep, she said she will extend to 3 months if I give her my cc info.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, 1-month is the standard now. When i talked to the OnStar rep, she said she will extend to 3 months if I give her my cc info.
. . . . so they can 'auto-renew' you without needing your permission

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I let the Onstar trials expire will they still call 911 if the airbags go off?

I tried Onstar navigation. There is no reason to use it instead of google maps. Are there any Onstar features worth trying?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if you never get an OnStar subscription (for those on a used Volt), what service do you get for free if any (serious accident reporting)?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In my experience, they cancel without issue and will refund any partial amounts prepaid. They are pretty good that way. They may offer you a good deal down the road. I currently have the full plan at half price on one of my cars. I consider it expensive roadside assistance insurance with a few extras. Even with that, I don’t use the features at all on any regular basis. I have never made a call, and I only have used the turn by turn navigation maybe twice just because I could. I still seem to want to use my garmin for nav.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My car's a week old and I got just one month of OnStar. The plans are a little confusing. The two questions I have are:

1. Can I tell how much my car is charged on the web or the iphone app with just the 10 year plan that comes with the car?

2. Will the weather app on MyLink still work when my trial subscription runs out?

·
Registered
347 Posts
You are right. That's exactly why I didn't give her my cc info.
Good move! In my case OnStar was free for 5 years. By the time the free period expired I had forgotten that they have my cc number. Of course it had expire by then, but they found my current card and started charging it anyway without notifying me (they emailed a message to an email account that was no longer valid). Think I paid for a service i didn't use for at least 3 months, maybe long before I detected the charges.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good move! In my case OnStar was free for 5 years. By the time the free period expired I had forgotten that they have my cc number. Of course it had expire by then, but they found my current card and started charging it anyway without notifying me (they emailed a message to an email account that was no longer valid). Think I paid for a service i didn't use for at least 3 months, maybe long before I detected the charges.
That's quite hecky what they did and am not even sure it is legal to go ahead and charge your new card without your permission. I thought the permission you gave was tied to the old (expired) card, and when it expired, I thought they needed to "renew" your permission on the new card?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car's a week old and I got just one month of OnStar. The plans are a little confusing. The two questions I have are:

1. Can I tell how much my car is charged on the web or the iphone app with just the 10 year plan that comes with the car?

2. Will the weather app on MyLink still work when my trial subscription runs out?
Same here with a 1-week old volt.

For Q1. I think it's free service that you don't need to pay for those "Chevrolet Connected Services", and I thought it was five years, but when I checked mychevrolet.com, it is indeed 10 years, like you said.

For Q2., I am still trying to get answers from other veteran voltians.

·
1,027 Posts
That's quite hecky what they did and am not even sure it is legal to go ahead and charge your new card without your permission. I thought the permission you gave was tied to the old (expired) card, and when it expired, I thought they needed to "renew" your permission on the new card?
The credit card companies SELL the new cards to merchants so they can explicitly do that "out of convenience" for you.

From VISA,
The Visa Account Updater (VAU) service enables the electronic exchange of updated account information among participating merchants and card issuers, providing cardholders with uninterrupted service when enrolled in recurring bill payments. Issuers decide when to provide merchants with updated account information, either when cardholders activate their new cards or within two business days from the date of the changes. VAU participants must also meet certain qualification requirements, including Visa security requirements for data transmission. In addition, no transactions can occur until cardholders have activated their new cards.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got the 10 year number from the small print in the sales brochure so nice to know it's being published in more than one place.

From what I can tell so far, the infotainment manual implies that the weather data associated with the navigation function comes from Sirius XM (Sirius TravelLink Weather).

I guess I'll know what services I have left in a few weeks when I let everything expire. Hope I can still drive the car around without all this stuff! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts