GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onstar SOS spontaneously activated in my 2015 Volt yesterday when I opened the passenger door to put some items in the seat, then climbed in and turned the car on. I did not bump or touch the Onstar buttons. There wasn't any significant impact to the car other than opening and closing the doors with normal force. There was a "hang up" button on the main screen, but it didn't work. The Onstar operator came on and asked if I had been in an accident and if there were any injuries. When I told her I was fine, she asked if I was SURE I hadn't been in an accident today! :confused: Yes, quite sure I told her! :D

Anyone else have issues with spontaneous activation of the SOS feature?

·
Administrator
21,247 Posts
There is a rumor that it's a predictive algorithm based on your passed driving (acceleration, braking, g-forces, etc.). The cars is giving you high odds of having an accident today and simply jumped the gun. Oh wait, it's turn the clock back day, not April 1. :)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
So WHICH activation -did they say ? only a call onstar or a crash detection - was there any error codes ?

may have been a 311 not a 911 :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
A very similar thing just happened to me, tonight. I left work and went to a local restaurant/bar to meet a co-worker for a meeting.

About an hour later, the police came into the restaurant looking for the owner of a Volt. I spoke with the officer who was concerned that I did a hit a run.

Apparently, the OnStar system thought I was re-ended and placed a call to the advisors. They then decided to geolocate the vehicle and call the police.

Not a fun way to test the system. Actually, makes me think I should disable it.

Anyway, called OnStar. They said, matter of factly, these are a problem -- the 2015 Volt. Said to take back to dealer. Will do so in the morning. But, take warning. You might find the cops coming to do a sobriety test on you. ;-)

Hope they can sort this. I won't trust the car until it's confirmed fixed and I know what caused it or the OnStar module has been removed.

Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I would like more information as i thought most crash sensors were front and side

Removing a safety device seem over kill

leave a cell number with onstar and a note in their online records of past problems.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
About an hour later, the police came into the restaurant looking for the owner of a Volt. I spoke with the officer who was concerned that I did a hit a run.
The police obviously found the car if they came into the restaurant to find the owner. Did they actually LOOK at the thing to see if it had any damage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts