GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Onstar SOS spontaneously activated in my 2015 Volt yesterday when I opened the passenger door to put some items in the seat, then climbed in and turned the car on. I did not bump or touch the Onstar buttons. There wasn't any significant impact to the car other than opening and closing the doors with normal force. There was a "hang up" button on the main screen, but it didn't work. The Onstar operator came on and asked if I had been in an accident and if there were any injuries. When I told her I was fine, she asked if I was SURE I hadn't been in an accident today! :confused: Yes, quite sure I told her! :D

Anyone else have issues with spontaneous activation of the SOS feature?

·
Administrator
21,124 Posts
There is a rumor that it's a predictive algorithm based on your passed driving (acceleration, braking, g-forces, etc.). The cars is giving you high odds of having an accident today and simply jumped the gun. Oh wait, it's turn the clock back day, not April 1. :)

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
So WHICH activation -did they say ? only a call onstar or a crash detection - was there any error codes ?

may have been a 311 not a 911 :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
A very similar thing just happened to me, tonight. I left work and went to a local restaurant/bar to meet a co-worker for a meeting.

About an hour later, the police came into the restaurant looking for the owner of a Volt. I spoke with the officer who was concerned that I did a hit a run.

Apparently, the OnStar system thought I was re-ended and placed a call to the advisors. They then decided to geolocate the vehicle and call the police.

Not a fun way to test the system. Actually, makes me think I should disable it.

Anyway, called OnStar. They said, matter of factly, these are a problem -- the 2015 Volt. Said to take back to dealer. Will do so in the morning. But, take warning. You might find the cops coming to do a sobriety test on you. ;-)

Hope they can sort this. I won't trust the car until it's confirmed fixed and I know what caused it or the OnStar module has been removed.

Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I would like more information as i thought most crash sensors were front and side

Removing a safety device seem over kill

leave a cell number with onstar and a note in their online records of past problems.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
About an hour later, the police came into the restaurant looking for the owner of a Volt. I spoke with the officer who was concerned that I did a hit a run.
The police obviously found the car if they came into the restaurant to find the owner. Did they actually LOOK at the thing to see if it had any damage?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Correct. The officer was parked behind my vehicle and we both inspected it, together. It's just ridiculous that OnStar would give my Geolocation data without first trying to call me. Nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts