GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with OnStar tech support. Got lucky, got a chance to talk to someone who knew what's going on for a change.

Since the system upgrade fiasco, some of the stuff is still not working right. In my case it was wifi screen error in RemoteLink, can't login to OnStar.com at all, Chevy volt driver challenge login fails and myvolt.com still can't pull any data.

The tech I spoke with told me that the upgrade was done to prepare for the rollout of a new version of RemoteLink. Apparently some of the back-end systems got already upgraded and are not backwards compatible and are causing all kinds of problems. Once RemoteLink 2.0 is rolled out, everything will be switched to that and all issues "should" be resolved. The tech told me that he just went through training on the new version and he thought it was very nice and they are looking forward to it going live and resolving all ongoing crap issues. He did not know the exact date of release, but told me "very soon after New Year". I volunteered to be a beta customer tester for them. Doubt they will take me up on the offer, but they really should. Clearly their internal test process is lacking severely.

I suspect that there will be some system issues around the time the app goes live. OnStar's track record is quite sad.

Now a quick note to the "OnStar social media team". You are welcome. I don't mind doing your job at all. I clearly am wrong to expect that you share information with your customers here. Or respond to PMs...

/sarcasm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
476 Posts
Originally Posted by NicksatxJust got off the phone with OnStar tech support. Got lucky, got a chance to talk to someone who knew what's going on for a change.

Since the system upgrade fiasco, some of the stuff is still not working right. In my case it was wifi screen error in RemoteLink, can't login to OnStar.com at all, Chevy volt driver challenge login fails and myvolt.com still can't pull any data.

The tech I spoke with told me that the upgrade was done to prepare for the rollout of a new version of RemoteLink. Apparently some of the back-end systems got already upgraded and are not backwards compatible and are causing all kinds of problems. Once RemoteLink 2.0 is rolled out, everything will be switched to that and all issues "should" be resolved. The tech told me that he just went through training on the new version and he thought it was very nice and they are looking forward to it going live and resolving all ongoing crap issues. He did not know the exact date of release, but told me "very soon after New Year". I volunteered to be a beta customer tester for them. Doubt they will take me up on the offer, but they really should. Clearly their internal test process is lacking severely.

I suspect that there will be some system issues around the time the app goes live. OnStar's track record is quite sad.

Now a quick note to the "OnStar social media team". You are welcome. I don't mind doing your job at all. I clearly am wrong to expect that you share information with your customers here. Or respond to PMs...

/sarcasm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nicksatx,

I am glad to hear you were able to contact our technical team and have your questions and concerns directly addressed. As you noted, we are in the process of enacting some major changes for not only our website, but the RemoteLink application as well. Understandably, sometimes these changes have unforeseen consequences, so we have our technical assistance team in place to not only enact resolutions for those issues, but to gather data on new emerging issues as well. We would like to thank you and all of our subscribers for your continued patience as we continue to resolve these issues, and migrate to our new functionality as it becomes available.

With regards to not responding to private messages, I reviewed my inbox for the last 6 months, and have never received any PMs from you. I would be more than happy to address any remaining concerns you may have if you would like to send me another PM. Thank you!

~Sara, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
About time they do something.

The MyVolt site hasn't had a refresh (or even 'news' updates) since 2012! The myVolt and RemoteLink apps are the weakest part of the Volt experience. The DC app is just plain crap. I deleted it from my phone months ago.

Testing is fundamental. There wouldn't be 'issues' with proper regression testing. Staying ahead of smartphone upgrades and O/S updates (even browser versions) is an ongoing customer service 'issue'. Not being backward-compatible with APIs for sites like Volt Stats is just plain Customer Experience dumb.

Do you even check the ratings for your apps? Dismal. Hint. OnStar = 2.5/5. DC=1.5/5. These are pretty bad. That's a 'D-' and an 'F' in elementary school.

Even us old guys are social media aware. Get with the program, GM, or all younger buyers will go with Kia. Oh wait... Kia Motors OptiMap is 4.5/5. hmmm...

·
Registered
142 Posts
About 2 hours ago, I called the OnStar advisors to inquire about problems with RemoteLink - I hadn't been able to access the App on my iPhone for the past 3 days.....kept getting error messages! I was told about the update being implemented at this time with NO idea as to when the new software would be up and running? It should would be nice to send out message when these long-drawn out upgrades are being done!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am able to login, but about 90% of my refresh requests time out with an error "unable to determine status of command". This is significantly worse than the usual 50% failure rate.

I share the frustration of others on this forum. I've had my Volt for 3.5 years now, and love every aspect, EXCEPT the app. I thought for the first few months that they just needed to work out the kinks. Now 3 years later it is just an incredibly sour point for me. I have maybe 40 apps on my phone. This app takes 10 times longer than ANY OTHER app to login. This app fails 100 times more often than any other app I have. The most frustrating failure is that 3-4 times a week, it forgets my userid / pw even though I have the checkbox checked, and I have to type it all in again. I hate having to type my pw in public places; that's specifically why I bought a phone with a fingerprint reader. The cool new "locate vehicle" function was exciting at first, but in the several months it has been out, it has only worked for me about 3 times.

As someone said above, "testing is fundamental". I could have spent 5 minutes with the app and given them a list of 10 issues to fix before they should have ever released the app. This isn't rocket science.

Anyway..... thanks for letting me vent.

David

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Remotelink now has -- for fuel range and not the large numbers we saw yesterday. ( so that is new)

-- total range and lifetime numbers still old values and not updating as reported before.

Still can't get VoltDC to log in after the redirection via the browser where you select your VIN number - Which is a validation problem which prevents the app from even starting ( ie before you tell it it get new data)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just bought my Volt in September (and my Cobalt didn't have any power features at all) so I haven't been using the app that long. I do have the same issues as others - forgetting my login info, not being able to connect to the car, etc. I would say they happen occasionally - I usually have both apps open multiple times a day, and I probably run into an issue every few days. The most annoying is when I'm trying to do a remote start and it can't find the car, telling me to go drive it. The DC app was most problematic when I first got the car, and only seemed to work properly the first time I opened it after a reinstall (leading to a period of daily reinstalls).

However, I've not had any additional problems around this upgrade. I've had the standard random issues with the app like I always do, but I haven't had any major interruptions to functionality or displayed data like others have. I believe there's plenty of room for improvement in the apps (I just responded to an OnStar survey email letting them know), but I just wanted to point out that the issues people are experiencing are not universal across all owners/cars.

An intermittent problem can be exponentially harder to track down than one that happens every time. It might be possible for the people having lots of problems to supply their VIN, so OnStar can track their usage and hopefully get a better idea of what's going on. It's a lot easier to solve problems like this if you have a good specimen to look at - you're wasting less time trying to find someone having the problem, and getting more occurrences to actually be able to investigate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.