GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 hours ago I got an update to the OnStar RemoteLink app on my Android phone (Galaxy S7).

Screenshot_20171102-000859.jpg

It now looks identical to the "MyChevrolet" app once you login.

I spoke with OnStar today about issues with "MyVolt.com" not showing Efficiency and Charging information. I was informed that that information is updated monthly (and only monthly) and should be available on MyVolt.com after you receive the "Monthly" diagnostic report e-mail. Since I have yet to have my Volt for one month (I've had it three weeks), that is why I don't see that info on the "MyVolt.com" website.

When I was on the phone with them, prior to the App being updated, I asked about Lifetime EV km/miles. She said the App would display (or should) whatever is displayed on the screens in the car. I took a quick look and I did not find lifetime EV km/miles on any display in my car (again it was just a quick look, maybe it's somewhere...). So she said if it's not displaying in the car it won't display in the App.

Curiously, no one told me about the update to OnStar's RemoteLink app. In fact the lady on the phone told me just to use the "MyChevrolet" App. So it's interesting that just 3 hours ago the OnStar "RemoteLink" app gets an update, and now it looks exactly like the MyChevrolet App.

BTW, this App still doesn't always return information from my Volt. Logging out and back in can help, but if often takes me multiple tries over 10-30 minutes to get it to update. It eventually does but ....it's still a bit frustrating.

I asked on the phone with OnStar how many times you should refresh the app. She said "up to 50 times per day", and "it uses the 12V battery" [of the car].

Anyway, at least some new info/progress. My 1st month of ownership hits on November 11th, so I will be looking for the OnStar monthly diagnostics email then I will check MyVolt.com to see if charging and efficiency data is present. Mileage info has always been present.

·
Registered
248 Posts
0n the updated app I'm still seeing both lifetime EV and odometer data for lifetime and since last charge.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine just says -- where it should list Lifetime EV kms...it's never displayed a value there. Do you have a gen2 volt? Sorry the Lifetime EV km/miles is actually still there, but mine still displays just a "--". I've edited my original post.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a Gen2 and the data is showing correctly in the updated OnStar app. Are you in an area with spotty AT&T cell coverage? Perhaps the car is having a problem phoning home to OnStar with the data.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
MyChevrolet app stopped displaying Lifetime EV Miles and percentage on Oct 19th. All I see are two dashes -- It only display EV Miles Since Last Charge.

I have called OnStar three times and all they say is they had a major hardware failure and are working to get it fixed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My Gen 1 with the updated Onstar Remote Link app still shows the lifetime EV and total miles, as well as a percent electric for both lifetime, and "since full charge", which is more information than it displayed before the app update.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I got the remotelink update as well. However a couple months ago they said that it would be deprecated and to use mychevrolet app. That was a surprise update.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In Canada there has not been a RemoteLink update yet for my Android Samsung S5.

On my RemoteLink app I have been getting the total lifetime EV miles (km) for 5 continuous years (with a few hiccups) ... until some time in October 2017 when I started to get "--" as described by others above. Very frustrating.

There is no place on a Gen 1 where total lifetime EV miles (km) is displayed.

The GM person who said that the app will only display what the car displays (see DarrenHD above) is simply wrong.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In Canada there has not been a RemoteLink update yet for my Android Samsung S5.

On my RemoteLink app I have been getting the total lifetime EV miles (km) for 5 continuous years (with a few hiccups) ... until some time in October 2017 when I started to get "--" as described by others above. Very frustrating.

There is no place on a Gen 1 where total lifetime EV miles (km) is displayed.

The GM person who said that the app will only display what the car displays (see DarrenHD above) is simply wrong.
Nothing on my Canadian LG phone either. OTOH my car is only a week old, so I could be convinced that it just hasn't updated yet. My lifetime EV miles shows --.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I also received the notice of the update for the OnStar RemoteLink app. I installed the update but did not note any changes. FWIW the MyChevrolet App now supports Touch ID and the MyChevrolet Apple Watch app includes remote functions. Apple Watch support is not currently available the OnStar RemoteLink app.

With the Apple Watch MyChevrolet App you can now store your OnStar PIN in the MyChevrolet app and use the watch app to perform remote link functions to lock, unlock, precondition and sound the horn on the Volt. To use the MyChevrolet remote functions via the Apple Watch the iPhone must be powered on, able to connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth, else the Apple Watch MyChevrolet App will not function. Now that the Apple Watch 3 is available with LTE support I hope that GM/Chevrolet updates the MyChevrolet app to work over an LTE connection.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have never used the RemoteLink app; I've only used the myChevrolet app. I did notice, however, that today, I was able to enter the "Vehicle Information" section and successfully load all the data on my car (charge state, remaining range, tire pressure, oil life, odometer, etc) even though I'm only on the free Basic OnStar plan. I have not been able to get this data from the app since my trial expired, so I'm quite pleased that it's apparently available for Basic plans now.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
RemoteLink used to be a great app with a very nice looking interface. Beautiful in fact. Then at some point got an update that turned it into a run of the mill app with white blinding background and cheap looking graphics.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Crazy that the app is working for some on lifetime messages and not others. I'm in the "no lifetime EV miles" camp. This is a basic fail of programming. Pre-update, no problem. Post-update, problem. So the problem is...duh, the update!

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's odd the new permissions it requires include Camera. Wonder why.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's odd the new permissions it requires include Camera. Wonder why.
I have Android 8 (where permissions are requested the first time they're used, instead of during installation) and it's never requested them. It could have been a mistake, or some unknown feature to be implemented in the future (taking a picture of where you park, maybe, to remember later?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts