GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So five years and three months ago I purchased my Volt and it came with five years of free OnStar. Nice, but I rarely used it so when the time ran out I never noticed it had expired. Apparently in the OnStar agreement there is an automatic renewable agreement that requires that you cancel the service. So for three months I had been auto charged for OnStar. Fair enough, but here's the thing I never received notification by email, again my fault as my email account was hacked a few months ago and I had to create a new account. What really bothers me is OnStar took it upon themselves to find a credit card in my name (the card on my account had been deactivated years ago) to charge me without ever contacting me in any way (my home, cell and OnStar number, nor my home address had not changed).

Just blowing off steam. I'm sure all of this is legal but it leaves a really bad taste. I've cancelled OnStar and the credit card. Word of caution, check your credit card charges if you think your finished with OnStar.

BTW, they refused to give me the free 3 years of basic service now that I'm no longer an OnStar customer. I think that might be the best thing for me anyway, I don't want to have anything more to do with them.this

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Automatic subscription renewal is a common business practice that justifies the use of free or reduced rate introductory pricing. Whenever I initiate a subscription I either put a tickler in my calendar just prior to the renewal date or remove the auto renewal 'feature' a few days after beginning the subscription. BTW, if you call to cancel a few days before renewal you can often negotiate a very favorable renewal rate. Companies often prefer to retain some contribution to cash flow rather than lose a customer.

KNS

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't understand how they can "find a credit card" in your name. You must have given GM a card number at some point and permission to use it. I suggest you ask them to refund those charges, unless they can provide you a copy of an agreement you signed allowing them to charge your card.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I suggest you take your rant to the Federal Trade Commission. Apple was raked for taking credit card numbers for their "free" apps at the Apple Store.
As to the basic Onstar, you can sign up at the Onstar website with the option of not supplying a credit card.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand how they can "find a credit card" in your name. You must have given GM a card number at some point and permission to use it. I suggest you ask them to refund those charges, unless they can provide you a copy of an agreement you signed allowing them to charge your card.
According to OnStar they accesses and used information from my GM retiree files. I never actually worked for GM, but they briefly owned Hughes Aircraft so I am technically a GM retiree. They charged to a GMFamilyFirst credit card that was opened only a few months ago. My beef is not with the charges but rather with the fact that they accessed this information and charged the card on file without contacting me. Probably legal, but just because its legal doesn't mean it wasn't a sleaze move.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Were you receiving the monthly diagnostic email for your Volt? That report, under "Packages and Services" shows your current OnStar subscription information, including your account number, level of service, when your current service expires, and if you are on auto renewal (continuous coverage).

I also had 5 free years of OnStar with my 2011 Volt, and was contacted by both email and snail mail several months before my subscription was to end.

Very strange you were not notified at all when your subscription was about to renew again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do not believe I would accept this answer. OnStar had no right to that information, GM/Hughes retiree or not. This does not sound legal to me at all.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Larry, did you by any chance accept an offer of free carphone minutes and provide them your cc number at that time. If you never gave them your number, it certainly sounds like somebody violated your privacy -- you might ask to speak to somebody in their legal dept and just ask what they think about the action. I'm guessing we're talking about ~$110?

I also failed to cancel but caught it quickly because they billed a cc that I rarely use anymore. I actually love the OnStar stolen vehicle recovery and navigation address downloads while traveling, but can't justify the high monthly charge. I called and they offered to refund the monthly charge when I said I didn't remember having received notice of expiration, but long story long, they also offered me a year at half price and I took it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That stinks :(

Stuff like this is why I usually don't Auto-Pay via any method (bank account or CC), either have to deal with the potentially shady practices, lack of transparency... or the mediocre security theatre of the agency. I have a couple exceptions that are easy to monitor. Trust agencies with financial info very little and verify often those that you do...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Larry, did you by any chance accept an offer of free carphone minutes and provide them your cc number at that time. If you never gave them your number, it certainly sounds like somebody violated your privacy -- you might ask to speak to somebody in their legal dept and just ask what they think about the action. I'm guessing we're talking about ~$110?

I also failed to cancel but caught it quickly because they billed a cc that I rarely use anymore. I actually love the OnStar stolen vehicle recovery and navigation address downloads while traveling, but can't justify the high monthly charge. I called and they offered to refund the monthly charge when I said I didn't remember having received notice of expiration, but long story long, they also offered me a year at half price and I took it.
Nope, no offer of free minutes. No letter advising of renewal. The card they charged to was a GM card. In my name but used by my daughter. The card was reissued a month or two before the incident due to fradulant charges. OnStar or the GM card (not sure which) told my wife they were able to find my GM card number because I'm a GM retiree and the charge was legal. As I said I have no issue with the charge, but why couldn't they turn ask for a valid card number via mail or phone instead of charging to one of my cards without asking?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks to this thread when I was setting up my new Volt two days ago I declined all the special offers, extensions and discounts the OnStar rep offered to sell me. When it expires, it expires.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If it was a reissued card and the old card was associated with onstar then the bank would process it to the new card automatically because of the "auto pay" and it being a relative short time since the reissue. Your old card number is technically still active for about 3 to 6 months.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
My free 5 year OnStar subscription ended last month. I just signed up for the free 3 year extension. They did ask for my CC to cover any extras I might want to add later on. I, uh, declined. :)

BTW, here is the section in the OnStar agreement you agreed to when you activated the service (bold and italics are mine):
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

5. Payment. If You have a credit or debit card account or similar payment account on file with us, we’ll automatically charge it monthly if You have not otherwise pre-paid for Services You have requested. Once You place your payment account on file with us, we may receive automatic updates of that account information from the financial institution for that account in order to keep that payment information current.Applicable fees for the Services, if any, must be paid in advance. If You do not have such an account on file with us You must provide us with payment monthly (or other payment period offered by us and chosen by You) in advance. We’ll continue to charge the payment account You provided monthly (or You must continue to make payments monthly) until You or we cancel or terminate your service as allowed in this Agreement, or You choose another payment period offered by us. The price of your Services may change over time, and we’ll use the rates then in effect for the applicable payment period for those charges.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Crap like this is why I love using one-time credit card numbers that expire after the one purchase... Most credit card companies offer them and they are great for shady operations like this, XM radio, and the like...

Stuff like this is why I usually don't Auto-Pay via any method (bank account or CC), either have to deal with the potentially shady practices, lack of transparency... or the mediocre security theatre of the agency. I have a couple exceptions that are easy to monitor. Trust agencies with financial info very little and verify often those that you do...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Crap like this is why I love using one-time credit card numbers that expire after the one purchase... Most credit card companies offer them and they are great for shady operations like this, XM radio, and the like...
YEP.. Especially XM and home warranty companies - They are the hardest company to cancel service with and they go all out finding your Credit Card numbers to continue charging.

I got all kinds of emails, letters, and when I started our Trax, OnStar blares out that my subscription is expiring.

I had to put a block on a home warranty company as even though I cancelled the service because I sold my house and no longer own one (and they sent me emails to that effect) they kept charging the card. I got my money back from the credit card company and they put a permanent block on them from re-charging the card.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Yeah, this sounds like really dirty, illegal business practices to some how find a CC in you name and use it and then not communicate with you at all.

I use it everyday, though. I have a Chevy BEV. It's awesome to have your car txt you daily to say "Come and move me. I'm full of electrons."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts