GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like OnStar is finally going to open up their APIs, albeit to a closed developer community at first.

http://www.dealerscope.com/article/at-ces-onstar-opens-api-app-developers-improve-in-car-apps/1

The first service they displayed was a rental car service which seems kinda cool but there's no way in hell I'm going to let a stranger rent my brand new Volt!

On the plus side, we may get a lot of new cool apps heading out way, perhaps something like voltstats.net on the mobile device.

Oh, and the article even mentions using Skype in the backseat of a Volt which they demoed at CES.

Good things heading our way soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, it looks like OnStar is finally going to open up their APIs, albeit to a closed developer community at first.
Good catch!

It sounds like the article is talking about two different things -- first, enhancements to new cars that would allow things like Skype (and somehow "being green"; I'm not sure how an API helps with that). The second is the actual API, which sounds like it's just the API they have today that voltstats.net uses that would then be re-opened. Note that the first app, RelayRides (which is a pretty cool concept, I have to admit) has VERY strong ties to GM (I thought it was run by GM until I just checked now), with GM sponsoring them (ads, etc.).

It will be interesting to see what the API offers, whether it is limited to what you get on the website, or if more details are included.

Oh wait; there's more: check out http://www.extremetech.com/computin...r-your-center-console-but-is-it-worth-300year .

"The information includes status about the car such a its exact GPS location, whether doors are locked, condition of the battery if it’s a hybrid or EV, even the ability to remotely unlock the car." That isn't new information (you could get the information with OBD2, and unlock the car with a program pretending to be surfing the onstar site), but much more convenient. And it looks like you would get access to the console, but likely would have to have your app tested first (e.g. no movies or games).

I will be anxiously awaiting to see what they say when I contact them...

·
Registered
962 Posts
That's exciting! Thanks for posting.

I'm a bit of a wannabe programmer. So the thought of an open OnStar API gets me salivating for sure.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I will be anxiously awaiting to see what they say when I contact them...
It's been 24 hours so far, and no response. It sounds like the API may be more a marketing ploy at this time than a top priority, as they were making it seem. We'll see.

My hunch is in a couple years, they will have an API that allows access to the touchscreen. If they offered that now, well, it would be a game changer. But I doubt that would be possible (GM would need to be directly involved and give permission/access, it might not be possible with the existing cars, etc.). Same with accessing all the data that can be accessed via OBD2; my hunch is that some of it is sent to (or can be requested by) OnStar, but that not all would be accessible, and certainly not realtime (e.g. updates every second or so).

If I am right, that would limit the applications quite a bit. However, there may well be a lot of possibilities, depending on what is available.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's been 24 hours so far, and no response. It sounds like the API may be more a marketing ploy at this time than a top priority, as they were making it seem. We'll see.
3 full business days, no response. Not even a "We'll get back to you when we open up the API", or a response unrelated to what I sent (as is often the case with outsourced E-mail handlers).

So I now suspect they are really looking for perhaps 2-3 Internet startups backed with venture capital chasing the next big thing, rather than hundreds of developers coming up with great ideas. <sigh>

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Same thought here. I sent in a "sign me up" email and have gotten back bupkis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts