GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Free Driving Assessment, and Insurance Discount
An optional driver-assessment program in the US that studies your skills over 90 days and offers not only feedback, but also lower insurance rates (through Progressive) for good driving. Available to try in the summer, 2015.

Available for all 2016 GM vehicles, most 2015 models and a handful of 2013 and 2014 cars.

AtYourService
Uses your requested OnStar destinations to deliver targeted discounts. Ask for directions to Dunkin' Donuts and it'll give you a discount on your upcoming snack; a deal with Priceline will even let you book a hotel when the service goes live in early 2015. Optional and requires that you talk to a person.

http://media.gm.ca/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/Jan/0104-smart-driver-gm.html

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The driver assessment sounds very cool. I'd definitely do it. I think I can tell you what the verdict will be but should be interesting.

As for the Priceline idea, I know where the doughnut shops are!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hmmm, Progrssive has the OBDII dongle to collect max speed, avg speed, avg distance per trip, etc. Does that mean that OnStar can collect the same categories of information - and you agree to let them pass-thru to Progressive?

Now I wonder what all is included in the profiler..

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just got an email invitation to join Smart Driver. The invite says that participants get a monthly statement showing the following:
[After joining] OnStar will then begin to provide you with information on driving events, including.

Hard braking instances and where they took place
Hard acceleration instances and where they took place
Speeds over 80mph
Distance driven
Late night driving (driving between 12am and 4am)
Plus, average miles per gallon, miles per hour and total idle time

I note that it does not say that it will not collect more information than this.

Anyone using this?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I just got an email invitation to join Smart Driver. The invite says that participants get a monthly statement showing the following:
[After joining] OnStar will then begin to provide you with information on driving events, including.

Hard braking instances and where they took place
Hard acceleration instances and where they took place
Speeds over 80mph
Distance driven
Late night driving (driving between 12am and 4am)
Plus, average miles per gallon, miles per hour and total idle time

I note that it does not say that it will not collect more information than this.

Anyone using this?
Was the offer from your insurance company or OnStar?

State Farm's [my carrier] discount is offer just for having an active OnStar account on the covered vehicle. No dongle, no reporting.

·
Registered
502 Posts
oOnStar made the offer and did not name a specific insurance company.

Edit: Here's an Evernote link containing the "exclusive offer" I got!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks--Fixed it!

Edit: Fixed the VIN in the window sticker link in the sig block as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts