GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - a month or two ago I looked into this as I was going to be traveling in Mexico. I can't remember the full conversation, but at the time I had thought that there was information on the GM OnStar plans page, or near it, that a small number of the services could be bought a la carte for around $4 or $5 per month rather than the pricier plans. However, that information does not seem to be clear now. Can anyone clarify? Has something changed on the GM presentation of things, or was I mistaken in thinking I could buy certain things a la carte?

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/safety-security/
https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing/compare-plans/

Note that my vehicle has not been stolen, but I just want to pay for that one location service and not others. Note also that, if I recall, the idea is that GM will not actually help me locate a stolen vehicle if I am not already paying for something like that. Is that true? It sounds a bit much.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
I believe that currently the vehicle locator service requires a paid subscription to the OnStar Safety and Security plan.

The Remote Access service, including remote start, is free with the Volt and Bolt vehicle for the first 5 years.

The OnStar data plans are separate, either capped at 2GB/month or unlimited data service. A data plan is not required for either the Safety and Security plan or the Remote Access Service.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that currently the vehicle locator service requires a paid subscription to the OnStar Safety and Security plan.

The Remote Access service, including remote start, is free with the Volt and Bolt vehicle for the first 5 years.

The OnStar data plans are separate, either capped at 2GB/month or unlimited data service. A data plan is not required for either the Safety and Security plan or the Remote Access Service.
Ok thanks. I'm going to have to call back in to them some other time better to understand what's my least expensive long-term play here. What I want is the service to locate, remotely disable, and work with the authorities and my insurance company to retrieve the vehicle in the case it is stolen.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Ok thanks. I'm going to have to call back in to them some other time better to understand what's my least expensive long-term play here. What I want is the service to locate, remotely disable, and work with the authorities and my insurance company to retrieve the vehicle in the case it is stolen.
There is another issue in that Volt vehicles prior to 2015 had 3G CDMA data service, not 3G LTE service. After December 2019 the CDMA service for NA will no longer be offered by the wireless carrier.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OnStar is mostly a US/Canada service. You might first want to ask if OnStar is available at all for your Volt in Mexico. It does not seem to be in this OnStar coverage map:

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/coverage_map/
Interesting, thanks. I can't remember the whole conversation, but part of what I was supposed to be doing was testing whether OnStar worked as I drove across the line to Mexico, and unfortunately I didn't do it, so I don't know the answer.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is another issue in that Volt vehicles prior to 2015 had 3G CDMA data service, not 3G LTE service. After December 2019 the CDMA service for NA will no longer be offered by the wireless carrier.
Good to know, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts