GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my 2013 Volt:
Day 55 since Saturday October 21 Purchase.
As far I know, I have never seen my EV miles data at my.chevrolet.com or myvolt.com. Today's screenshots:
Text Product Font Line Web page Text Web page Product Website Font
Have probably spent about 2 hours on phone with OnStar support, across about 4-5 calls (plus one brief dealer conversation, but I didn't have time to leave it there), plus a bit of my own time in followup, trying to fix this since 21 October purchase.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
What about the MyChevrolet app? Data started showing up last week for the folks that stopped receiving data on/about Oct 19th. Looking at VolrStats it appears most Volt's are now receiving data.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You have the free 3 month trial and 3 years basic offered on older cars?
Get the monthly diagnostics report email from Onstar. I have never got a complete report on my 2015. EV miles and gas miles were there until the Oct 19 update/outage. Just was missing CO2 and lifetime mpg.
Sign up for Voltstats and download the csv data for your car. They have data like EV miles and gas used to five decimal places. You will only get the latest data since you became a Voltstats member. If Volstats is pulling your data twice a day I wouldn't bother tearing apart your car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Day 56, nope, not working at my.chevrolet.com, myvolt.com, voltstats.net

Text Web page Product Font Line Text Web page Product Font Website Text Font Line Screenshot Document

iphone mychevrolet app also not working.

Some indication that the OnStar diagnostics and maintenance and such check one week ago worked ok, including that the mileage on the vehicle at that point in time does come through as a stand-alone data point (no history).
Product Text Web page Motor vehicle Website

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I am experiencing the exact same thing as well. Just spent a hour on the phone with Onstar. All they could do is escalate the call up the chain and say they are sorry. They did extend my plan by 3 months so I guess that's something. I 'll let you know if I hear anything next week.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Stonegate Volt - thanks for this post.

When did you buy your car? Are you aware of this and other similar threads?

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?303217-VoltStats-and-missing-OnStar-EV-miles

When I first started having issues, many weeks ago, I think it was Bazinga who helped point me toward that thread and helped me to realize that many other drivers were having issues. This made all the difference. There is a major difference between a tech issue that looks like it is specific to my vehicle and one that so many others are experiencing. After reading through and considering, my position became:

- Minimize the amount of time I spend on this. I already did 3-4-5 sessions with Onstar and one brief discussion at the dealer. Until I see OnStar get its act together on this issue, I would not spend over-much time trying to get it fixed. I made one exception about a week ago when they called me on my open ticket and explained that they wanted to do a software update on my vehicle and could I please take it out later and get in touch with them and have them do it. This seemed reasonable, but did not help the issue.

- I won't get pushed into trying to say I know that the issue is with my car or with a broader set.

- some of the comments were dismissive toward Gen1 Volts since at one point it was clear that the Gen2 Volts at Volstats were having issues. However, in my view, the logic was (obviously) flawed. We had seen a small number of reports of Gen1 Volts having issues in that thread and it was improper in my view just simply to ignore those reports. Also, it was not clear that all Gen1 data was coming through on voltstats, just that much more of it was coming through than Gen2. The polls I set up afterward seemed to buttress that some Gen1 Volts were also having these EV Mile data issues. These are the polls:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...V-miles-and-other-data-Through-which-channels
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-Miles-and-other-data-through-the-web-or-apps

The polls are imperfect, such as they probably should have included the ability to change your vote once fixed, and-or had a better date stamp and near-term finishing date. Oh well.

- I'm keeping in mind that it sounds like Voltstats is dependent on GM data. So, I'm not going to bother as much about them as I will about the official GM data handling sites and apps.

- Yes, there are indications that many drivers are now seeing things clear up. This may help some of us who are trying to figure out still if it is something to do with our specific vehicle or not. I'm going to give it another few days until I have time. (Yes, I know this diary and screenshots are time-consuming, but it's just background discussion to me, not painful trouble-shooting).

Yeah, I am experiencing the exact same thing as well. Just spent a hour on the phone with Onstar. All they could do is escalate the call up the chain and say they are sorry. They did extend my plan by 3 months so I guess that's something. I 'll let you know if I hear anything next week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is a 2017, probably built in April. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm torn between seeing this through and forgetting about it. I will most likely keep Onstar either way. I like the other features and the web connectivity was not what sold me in the first place. However they should not promote features that do not work consistently. I guess I will see if they call back and listen to what they say and go from there. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Day 57:

Text Font Web page Product Line Product Text Screenshot Web page Font

Also, this one shows better that the popup to chat with someone at myvolt.com has not seemed to work.
Web page Text Font Product Website

I did perform a ritual which seems to have something to do with supernatural intervention over limited technology, and involves lighting some candles and reciting things in an ancient language, but that didn't seem to help. [Just kidding!]

Also note, lest there be some misintepretation - I am not at all that butt-hurt over my miles not working well, .... overall really enjoying the car... .but posting here does seem like a quick way to document that it's not working, without having to go around in circles on the phone..... I'll probably give customer service another try in a few days given that a lot of the owners have seen theirs clear up over the last few days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW, I got a used 2014 on 10/3, contacted OnStar on 10/23 to enable OnStar. It's never worked. I've been on the phone with OnStar multiple times for "updates" and other remote access things they wanted to try. I will not be paying for a service that does not work when the trial period ends.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Notes from the last few days -

1. No change in what I am able to pull from the car. To mix it up, here is from this morning, at the onstar.com website:

Text Font Product Line Document Product Vehicle Web page Website Font

2. I'll up my estimate from 2 to 3 hours now that I have spent in total speaking with OnStar over the last two months, and maybe an additional 1 hour offline on my own own messing with the app, installing/reinstalling, checking, etc. These are I think conservative numbers.

This week OnStar contacted me a couple of times on two open tickets they apparently have for me (one for app, one for web?). Then when I had time, in the evenings after work I did one or two extended sessions (push the blue button, speak with them, go through the updates to the car, etc.)

All of the reps were professional, and I love the car (this OnStar thing is just a minor annoyance), but there was no progress. Will be away from my car in coming days. It would be nice to be able to check it once or twice while it is at the airport (and it will likely be plugged in at 120 Volts), but I don't know if I can do that.

edit/addendum:

also from today:

Product Text Website Web page Font

the tire pressure is from a couple of weeks ago (it's been cold for this area, those are definitely not the tire pressures I've been seeing when I go out).

Additional Overview/summary points:

- It has been valuable to me to be able to see from this forum that others are experiencing issues. This allows me to let support know that although I have no complaints with them, until they get a firmer handle on the broader issues that seem to be going on across many cars, it seems logical to hold off on spending too much more time trying to go through steps on my own car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
today's error message (note, today is different in that the car is parked at the airport while I am a few thousand miles away. Also noting, the parking spot was covered, and I left the vehicle plugged in at 120 Volts in a conventional plug via the EVSE that came with the vehicle.

Text Font Product Line Screenshot

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
20180101 myvolt.com unable to update:

Product Technology Electronic component

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some improvement

some improvement:

my.chevrolet.com:
first time I've seen this since vehicle purchase (used) October 21:
Text Product Font Bottle Brand
but still no detailed recent information:
Text Font Web page Product Line

similar issues at myvolt.com, I am able to read charge status for the first time , but no recent EV miles information:
Web page Product Text Website Font
Web page Product Text Website Font

I'm not sure if I've mentioned, for the record, previous owner has not indicated to me these sorts of issues, though I may be able to double-check with them at some point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, OnStar tec support called today and said my car is connected. They left a message so I did not actually talk to them to ask what the problem has been for the last few weeks. I logged into both sites, myvolt and my.gm and both show me charge status and detailed efficiency data. The numbers seem to look correct. Each site has certain deficiencies with different fields and certainly both need huge improvements but I suppose it's a start.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, OnStar tec support called today and said my car is connected. They left a message so I did not actually talk to them to ask what the problem has been for the last few weeks. I logged into both sites, myvolt and my.gm and both show me charge status and detailed efficiency data. The numbers seem to look correct. Each site has certain deficiencies with different fields and certainly both need huge improvements but I suppose it's a start.
Thanks, good to know there is someone else who saw some progress today on this. I hope they are able to complete the job and get me up and running with all my data before my OnStar trial runs out (do I have to have some sort of OnStar account for the EV miles to show up? I've been thinking probably I do).

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More progress:

my.chevrolet.com and myvolt.com both have been (for the first time since I got the used 2013 Volt on 21 October) been displaying some sort of charge status. When I try to find some sort of EV Miles vs. gasoline miles breakdown, they only go back 7 days and not one day, and they say the information is not available. However, this does leave open the possibility that maybe they will start displaying the data when 7 days are accumulated (January 11-13, somewhere in there).

Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

I thought maybe Voltstats.net might not be subject to that limitation, and might display information that is available for my car but which my.chevrolet.com and myvolt.com don't display. This turned out to be right.

Text Green Font Line Screenshot

So, for the first time ever, I have seen my EV Miles (for one day only, but I'll take it) thanks to OnStar data seemingly getting back on track, and thanks to VoltStats.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My.chevrolet.com seems not to be pulling in anything, and OnStar.com data seems in part stuck on 9 December
Vehicle Car Product Automotive design Website Text Font Product Line Document

myvolt.com seems at least aware of charging, but hard to see if that's up to date. The tire data seems again from 9 December.
Product Web page Text Font Website

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my.chevrolet.com looks better today, I can see the charge status and lifetime EV miles updated through today. This is good.

Web page Text Product Font Website Text Web page Product Font Line

I am anticipating that the 7 day EV miles history may update once 7 days have passed since OnStar data seemed to kick back in.

The total miles displayed at the top of one of the screenshot doesn't jibe as it was from 2017-12-12. I'm not sure why that doesn't update. That may have been around the time OnStar support contacted me and had me press the blue button to get them to do some sort of software update (or some-such?) when I had the time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, I count 82 days since October 21 when I bought the car, and it appears (tentatively) the issue is fixed. I'll say maybe it was fixed a few days ago, but then there were signs of an issue, but the last couple of days seem stable. I'll give it a few more days and then, if it holds, will call OnStar to ask them to close the two tickets (one for web, one for apps - their choice to do it that way) they had open for me as having been resolved successfully.

As for broader issues, 66% of people in the latest poll I posted indicated that they can get their EV Miles data and related through web and apps. In a few days once the dust has settled, I'll post another poll (unless someone else wants to do it). 66% is a good improvement over previous numbers (and of course acknowledging that these polls are not scientific) but will want to check what percent of fellow Volt drivers here report still seeing issues.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke to someone at support today because I was seeing notifications when logged in to my.chevrolet.com (something about which warranties were expired, and something about my OnStar account expiring). I did not aggressively pursue an extension of my trial, but it was clear that for most of the trial (until a week ago or so) I was not able to access my EV Miles data, which is an important thing to me, and they did extend it. I appreciated that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts