GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just got my monthly onstar email of my 2014 report they send us. This time they said specifically a recall for my VIN number vehicle. Anyone have this or know anything about what the issue was? Web site only shows this info.

GM Program #: 14274
Date Issued: Dec 12, 2014
Program Title: LIFTGATE STRUT ROD DETACH
Program Status: INCOMPLETE

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cust satisfaction recall 14274 just released on the 23rd. Dealer to replace both hatch struts on INVOLVED 2011-2015 Volts and 2010- 2015 Cad SRX. For all I know they are all involved. Usually doesn't involve multiple years with no inspection procedure. Unless it is all of them. They say the piston could seperate from the tube and cause body or trim damage.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Confirmed this is an actual legit recall by going over to https://recalls.gm.com/ and pluggin in my VIN...

Thanks for point this out!:D
Rather surprised no one else has mentioned this specific recall yet!?:confused:

So the streak of no official recalls affecting the Chevy Volt is really over!?:eek:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. My 2014 is listed. I have not received anything in the mail but the recall link is great.

I will get this checked out on my first tire rotation / visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just an fyi. A program # is not officially a recall.

Other Programs for Your Vehicle
What's this?
Other programs are initiated by GM to remedy a condition not subject to a recall.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Cust satisfaction recall 14274 just released on the 23rd. Dealer to replace both hatch struts on INVOLVED 2011-2015 Volts and 2010- 2015 Cad SRX. For all I know they are all involved. Usually doesn't involve multiple years with no inspection procedure. Unless it is all of them. They say the piston could seperate from the tube and cause body or trim damage.
Well, that worked out pretty well as mine were getting kind of weak ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just checked, my '12 is showing as "Incomplete" so I will call soon and schedule the replacement. We have noticed that the hatch closes really heavily as if it is not being held up well by the struts. It has never fallen on it's own, but it takes very little effort to close it and it comes down quickly with a THUD! Thanks for posting this info. again, what a great resource this forum is.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
476 Posts
I went to GM's recall site (link below) and typed in my VIN. Presto, my 2013 volt will need some updating.

My only gripes with the hatch is that you need to forcefully close it otherwise it kinda half closes; still locked but not flush with rest of body. My wife can't properly close the hatch 50% of the time :).

https://recalls.gm.com/#/

·
1,308 Posts
I went to GM's recall site (link below) and typed in my VIN. Presto, my 2013 volt will need some updating.

My only gripes with the hatch is that you need to forcefully close it otherwise it kinda half closes; still locked but not flush with rest of body. My wife can't properly close the hatch 50% of the time :).
That's not normal. Perhaps the adjustable rubber doodads are set too high that the hatchback door rests on when it is closed.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The site seems to say this is a recall. Why would GM call a customer service action a recall?

I haven't noticed anything wonky with the air springs on 2011 MY, but since I'm close to needing a bi-yearly oil change I'll definitely call and schedule a fix. Wonder what the issue is? The door is certainly heavy, and if one rod broke or detached I could see how that would be dangerous. Hopefully it's a five or ten minute fix.

Nice to know the Volt share parts with Cadillacs. LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is a customer satisfaction recall. It shows OPEN in GM Global Warranty Management site which is where your dealer will check and verify.
Customer Satisfaction Program N140274 14274 LIFTGATE STRUT ROD DETACH 01/23/2015 Open

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It is a customer satisfaction recall. It shows OPEN in GM Global Warranty Management site which is where your dealer will check and verify.
Customer Satisfaction Program N140274 14274 LIFTGATE STRUT ROD DETACH 01/23/2015 Open
So this "recall" was officially posted on the 23rd? That sucks, because I just got my Volt serviced a couple of weeks ago. Now I'll have to take it back in at some point to get this new one done.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Both my cars show needed this update, even though I had the struts replaced over a year ago. It's interesting it shows up under a heading that says "Recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below.", then it says "Other Programs for Your Vehicle". So as others have said, its not really a recall.

I ran my VINs on safercar.gov, and neither one shows as having an open recall there.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wonder if these are the part numbers needing to be replaced:

http://www.gmpartsnow.com/chevrolet/volt/25978709/
http://www.gmpartsnow.com/chevrolet/volt/25978710/

Here's my "notice" at recalls.gm.com. Funny thing is I checked this recently, certainly after Dec.12 and there was no notice.

GM Program #:
N140274

Date Issued:
Dec 12, 2014

Program Title:

LIFTGATE STRUT ROD DETACH

Program Status: INCOMPLETE

safecar.gov does not have it (yet), but do have a complaint:

Date Complaint Filed: 02/28/2014
Component(s): STRUCTURE
Date of Incident: 02/27/2014
NHTSA ID Number: 10566434
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents

Crash:No
Fire:No
Number of Injuries:1
Number of Deaths:0

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 1GIRD6E46CU...
SUMMARY:
THE HATCH FELL DOWN ONCE I HAD IT UP AND LEANED INTO THE VEHICLE. THIS HAS INJURED MY BACK AND I AM NOW FEELING TINGLING IN MY LEFT ARM AND LEG. I HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE WHERE THE HATCH FELL ONCE LIFTED AND IT WAS REPAIRED. THE DEALER SAID THEY REPLACED THE SUPPORT STRUTS. THIS SEEMS TO HAPPEN IN COLDER WEATHER. *TR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad I started reading these forums..just picked up a 2011 Volt w/27k miles and loving it! I just emailed my dealer to see if they have the replacement struts/repair kit in stock to do this repair and how long it'll take!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
So this "recall" was officially posted on the 23rd? That sucks, because I just got my Volt serviced a couple of weeks ago. Now I'll have to take it back in at some point to get this new one done.
Similar situation here. I just had the power steering module reprogram this morning, but they didn't have any struts in parts so they're on order now. They were surprised that I was asking about it 3 days after it hit the system. That's okay though - I like these guys. The Starbucks coffee, not as much.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Similar situation here. I just had the power steering module reprogram this morning, but they didn't have any struts in parts so they're on order now. They were surprised that I was asking about it 3 days after it hit the system. That's okay though - I like these guys. The Starbucks coffee, not as much.
Don't tell me you're a DD guy.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
My 2011 is included as well. Contacting the dealer with my VIN and GM Program # to see if they have the parts in stock before I take it in.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts