GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read some recent discussions that a failed OnStar battery might cause you to have to take your Volt into the dealer if 12 V battery power is removed from the vehicle.

Got to ask the question, is there even a backup battery in the Volt OnStar unit?
As I understand it from a previous thread, OnStar has a little non-rechargeable battery in it.
I was interested in hearing more discussion about this.
Does this just throw an error code or are there worse side effects?
If you aren't using OnStar can you just ignore it and continue driving?
Is the OnStar battery only dealer replaceable?
Is all of this true across all GM vehicles with OnStar?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
And another question: Why is it "only" dealer replaceable? I don't take my laptop in to a dealer when it needs new batteries. Why do they assume people are stupid and can't do anything for themselves (although this is true in more situations than past). I've always fixed my own cars, fixed my computers, did my own roof, electrical, plumbing and dry wall. Why can't I change a battery?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
FWIW: My Gen1 was in the body shop for days with the 12V AGM removed a couple years back and suffered no OnStar battery issues. Can't remember if this specific problem has been reported prior here in these forums so I would consider this to be one of those very rarely occurring issues...

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Volts don't have Onstar backup batteries.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved.
Who knew?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him."

It is worse than that. If the OnStar module detects an error condition with loss of 12V power it will set a code and start to use the backup battery. Unless you can reset the OnStar module right away the backup battery is not rechargeable, will need to replace the module. A non-rechargeable lithium battery should have shelf life of ~ 10 years. These have been used on computer motherboards and also on the latest home smoke alarms. No way to remove the battery from one of these smoke alarms, the unit must be replaced after X years.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Conflicting realities.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The ELR doesn't have one, either.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
If there is a battery in the OnStar unit, mine is still working after 7.5 years and over 97k miles. Of course, so is my 12V battery and my main battery.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is a test you can do on my behalf: connect your Li-ion jumper battery at the jumper points up front. Disconnect the 12v battery in back (do insulate the cable ends) and use the car for a week normally, except always fully powered up. The car should perform normally.... I think.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Not sure that will prove the point.

You can run your home computer with out the PRAM/CMOS 3.3 volt battery as other system keep the voltage on the buss.

also many home internet telephone devices have a build in battery to allow call during a power loss.

At least now I HAVE A good reason to take my Volt apart and see it there really is an onstar battery.

·
1,027 Posts
If there is a battery in the OnStar unit, mine is still working after 7.5 years and over 97k miles. Of course, so is my 12V battery and my main battery.
See, now you did it. Your day is coming. Every time I talk about something, it seems life uses it as an excuse to kick me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Volts don't have Onstar backup batteries.
Seems to be no dissent on your comment.
In support of it, I did a little searching on ebay and I can not find any replacement OnStar batteries for a Chevy Volt.
I did find replacement batteries available for every other Chevy Car, and SUV.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Seems to be no dissent on your comment.
In support of it, I did a little searching on ebay and I can not find any replacement OnStar batteries for a Chevy Volt.
I did find replacement batteries available for every other Chevy Car, and SUV.
Wouldn't they be in a parts manual?? Anybody have one of those?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts