GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OnStar Basic No Longer Available? [update, remote keyfob thru 2023]

I bought my car CPO back in September of this year (2018). I had OnStar's demo for a month, then intended to switch to the basic plan, which from what I've read is supposed to be free but allow access to charge data.

I've called OnStar multiple times over the past month, and each time am told that they will put it on my car. Finally today, my plan was set to renew tomorrow, so I called in an asked the same thing. It was explained by the cancellation rep that as of May 1st, any new OnStar activation would only be allowed to get their "Connected Access" plan, while those who activated before May 1st were grandfathered. Since I bought my car in September, I don't qualify.

I've heard tale of some people still retaining access to the key fob function in the app anyway after canceling, I'll take a look after my plan expires I guess.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Check your owner's manual. My 2015 manual clearly states that Remote Access is free for 5 years.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I recently picked up a 2015 Spark EV from Carvana and OnStar said I get 3 months free and 5 years of standard connectivity.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
This showed up this week, and shows Basic as existing. And not chargeable, which implies it just happens.

IMG_20181212_105000.jpg

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Check your owner's manual. My 2015 manual clearly states that Remote Access is free for 5 years.
Check the OP. It was a CPO vehicle, not a new vehicle, and he didn't specify year.
My 2012 only came with 3 years free, and I don't know if OnStar will transfer the free promotion to a new owner.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Check the OP. It was a CPO vehicle, not a new vehicle, and he didn't specify year.
My 2012 only came with 3 years free, and I don't know if OnStar will transfer the free promotion to a new owner.
I bought my pre-owned 2015 Volt in May from CarMax, and the OnStar package transferred to me, the 2nd owner.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The basic plan only gives you Remote Key Fob functions. No vehicle statistics. If you want that, it is available through the My.Chevrolet.com site. Once your setup the account and register the vehicle. You can see vehicle stats just basic ones. No tire pressures, etc.

I just checked mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads-up. That page in particular didn't work for my car.
However, it took me to another page that explained the new tiers again, and stated that "Connected Access" is supposed to be free for 5 years on a 2015.

For laughs, I decided to hit the OnStar button while driving home and ask to have my 5 years of Connected Access activated.
Guess what they turned on? The "Basic" plan :rolleyes:
I'm good until 2023 now. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The basic plan only gives you Remote Key Fob functions. No vehicle statistics. If you want that, it is available through the My.Chevrolet.com site. Once your setup the account and register the vehicle. You can see vehicle stats just basic ones. No tire pressures, etc.

I just checked mine

Does that only work on the mobile site?
I've tried viewing the data through the my.chevrolet.com before, and it just spins forever (much longer than the stated 3 minutes).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Does that only work on the mobile site?
I've tried viewing the data through the my.chevrolet.com before, and it just spins forever (much longer than the stated 3 minutes).
It’s only available through my.chevrolet.com which is the Online website, not a mobile app.

I’ve had issues in the past where it was hit or miss on pulling the data. Not sure what the issue is. OnStar is horribly slow. I just tried pulling my data again with no luck after two attempts that ended with a red error message. All I can do is what the message said, refresh browser window or try again later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s only available through my.chevrolet.com which is the Online website, not a mobile app.

I’ve had issues in the past where it was hit or miss on pulling the data. Not sure what the issue is. OnStar is horribly slow. I just tried pulling my data again with no luck after two attempts that ended with a red error message. All I can do is what the message said, refresh browser window or try again later.

Thanks for the heads-up! I've always ended in that red error message, either on my phone or on my laptop, assuming I let it run long enough.

If you say it's worked after a few more tries, I'll give that a shot too. (I'd put a thumbs-up here, but I don't seem to have that in my palette on this forum)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. That page in particular didn't work for my car.
However, it took me to another page that explained the new tiers again, and stated that "Connected Access" is supposed to be free for 5 years on a 2015.

For laughs, I decided to hit the OnStar button while driving home and ask to have my 5 years of Connected Access activated.
Guess what they turned on? The "Basic" plan :rolleyes:
I'm good until 2023 now. Thanks everyone!
Yep, it's spelled out on page 14-4 of the 2015 Volt owner's manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts