GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my OnStar plan expired this March on my 2013, I got on the Basic plan (I believe for 3 or 5 years) which allowed me to get charging interruption notifications and keyfob functionality. A few weeks ago I got an email from them saying I "did not accept the OnStar®1 User Terms and Privacy Statement" and my service was cancelled.

I don't recall getting any kind of email from them saying I had to agree to new terms, and I poked around their website and don't see any mention of the Basic plan. Clicking on the Contact Us links just brings me back to the main page which says that I don't have service. I don't need any of OnStar's paid services, but I did like getting the charging interruption notifications and the voltstats data. Does anybody know if there is a way to get the Basic Plan on a 2013?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 3 year included free plan ran out in October. I called to cancel and told them I saw that basic was offered for 3 years on a vehicle that doesn't have Onstar. They cancelled the auto-renew plan and signed me up for 3 years on basic. I would talk to the cancel department and see if they can offer you the 3 year free basic plan since your vehicle won't have Onstar.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
I actually called onstar before my 3 years were up, told them I wanted basic they gave it to me for 5 years, but for some reason it didn't take and they tried to auto renew my plan to an expired credit card. I had to call customer service to get that reversed and have them really set me up in basic after getting some emails and a snail mail to pay my account. Their records showed that i called in sept, but it didn't note why so thecustomer service rep had to trust me.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I ensured my cc was taken off to prevent renewal back in late October. Basic continues and for my 2014 yes the fob functions should work for 5yrs per the app fine print you can read. The volstats still seem to be part of the basic. I don't know when I had them remove the CC if they did something in their records to make the basic continue. You would think this would happen automatically but who knows unless you call them and probably expect a sales pitch.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
For model year 2013 and newer, in order to get the basic plan, you have to be upgraded to LTE from 3G. This involves removing the old cellular module and replacing it with a new one. If you did not have this done, I doubt the 5 yr basic will work.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
For model year 2013 and newer, in order to get the basic plan, you have to be upgraded to LTE from 3G. This involves removing the old cellular module and replacing it with a new one. If you did not have this done, I doubt the 5 yr basic will work.
Canadian Volts will get 4G LTE hardware upgrades!

The 4G update was avail for Canadian Volts so you folks up north are good but once the 2G plug is pulled so to speak for us in the U.S. I suppose OnStar will simply cease to function for us in pre-LTE Gen1s...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Perhaps you should push the blue OnStar button the next time you start your car, and discuss your issue with the OnStar person who takes that call.

Just to clarify, the free Basic Plan should allow you to use either app (the older OnStar Remote or the newer Mychevrolet app) for the basic remote functions such as remote start/stop and remote lock/unlock, but to access the Vehicle Status subsection of the app to see the charge status, total/ev miles, tire pressure and gas level, you need a paid OnStar plan.

Notifications (text/ e-mail charge completed/ interrupted) would be under Vehicle Status. Some have indicated that notifications activated under a paid plan have remained active after switching to the Basic Plan (but that also means there’s no way to change or stop them).

The Basic Plan includes vehicle diagnostics, which is the monthly e-mail describing the diagnostic results, not the app functions telling you charging status, etc.

Much of your stats data can also be viewed by logging onto the www.myvolt.com and www.mychevrolet.com websites. Those sites remain active to you with any active OnStar account, including the free Basic Plan (also applies to a Volt registered on voltstats.net).

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not so. I just signed up for the 3 on us basic plan and key fob and status both work, showing EV miles, charge status, tire pressure, fuel level, oil life. Free for 3 years. You do have to go online and accept the user agreement before the plan will activate.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not so. I just signed up for the 3 on us basic plan and key fob and status both work, showing EV miles, charge status, tire pressure, fuel level, oil life. Free for 3 years. You do have to go online and accept the user agreement before the plan will activate.
Perhaps the offer has changed, but if you received the same "free Basic" offer I did after my original service ended, the deal is three years of free Basic, and it also includes a free three-month trial of an enhanced plan that does include access to the Vehicle Status section of the app. You should be able to view your current plan status on the OnStar website to check this. If this 3-month access is also what you have, they will contact you as the three months comes to an end to try to convince you to upgrade, and if you decline, you then lose access to the Vehicle Status section of the app.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well, you're right, it did include 3 months of the full-meal deal. So maybe they will neuter the app functions after 3 months. All I wanted it for really was the remote start function. It is nice to view total EV miles though. Somebody here created a chart of lifetime mpg vs approximate EV miles. I'm at 94 lifetime, and my EV miles are roughly 38k out of 59k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts