GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

i think this already been answered but I can't seem to find the thread. My Onstar app is showing my 2017 Volt total combined range for Full Charge & a full tank of gas is about 380 miles. I thought the volt should have 420 miles in total range. Am i reading the app wrong? How can the car reach 420 miles combined range?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Your car is using a "guessmeter" based on your driving habits over a few weeks, my 2015 volt uses the same system.
I have had a full fuel tank for several month's now, and it shows that my fuel tank is 3/4 full with 160 mile range.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Probably fill the tank until you get gas on your shoes or drive slower! Only sorta kidding. As mentioned, the range shown is just an estimate. In my experience with Volt 1.0 I am never able to put as much gas in the tank as the spec suggests. Usually a little short.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have to refresh the Onstar app every time. The upper right corner of each field should show "now". You have to pull down the "pull to refresh" about an inch. It will reveal an Onstar logo which will slowly flash while refreshing.
Now your app should say the same thing as your car.
Are you getting 60 to 70 miles EV range showing in the app? If you are getting good EV range it must be a gas mileage problem.
How much do you use the gas engine? If you don't use the gas engine very much the car may have little history to determine a mileage estimate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh! Its only a estimate? My estimate for electric is 52 miles and gas is 336 miles according to OnStar. Has anyone here been able to hit the 420 total mile range that GM claims?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Oh! Its only a estimate? My estimate for electric is 52 miles and gas is 336 miles according to OnStar. Has anyone here been able to hit the 420 total mile range that GM claims?
The 420 total mile range is also an estimate. Just like any ICE you buy that gives you estimated MPG on the window sticker.

But yes I am sure some have. But the key is, how often does someone drive the full 420 unless you go on a trip. Most fill up the tank and then just drive on electric with multiple recharges rarely using gas.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The 420 total mile range is also an estimate. Just like any ICE you buy that gives you estimated MPG on the window sticker.

But yes I am sure some have. But the key is, how often does someone drive the full 420 unless you go on a trip. Most fill up the tank and then just drive on electric with multiple recharges rarely using gas.
Have frequently seen 400+ guesses on total range in 2012, when I was driving 100+ miles per day on country highways in 80F instead of 10 on city streets around freezing... (Still below 45F this morning here.)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Your car is using a "guessmeter" based on your driving habits over a few weeks, my 2015 volt uses the same system.
I have had a full fuel tank for several month's now, and it shows that my fuel tank is 3/4 full with 160 mile range.
Are you the only driver, and, are you certain that the tank is full? If the answer to both is "yes", then I think you have a systems issue that needs to be resolved/addressed.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

How accurate is the guessometer?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I can't vouch for the person that stated it, but I listened to an interview once where the interviewee stated that the Volt based its estimated range on using an algorithm that looked at the totality and efficiencies of the last ~150 miles driven.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I guess what I am trying to say is that you will not really know what your actual total range will be unless you start out with a full charge and full tank and don't refill either one until you are basically empty. Other than that it is always an estimate. The estimate could be 380 total miles but is based on passed driving. Drive it to empty and you may get your 420 total miles.

Same thing for an ICE vehicle. Let's say that on average your get 30 MPG. You start with a 20 gallon full tank of gas. Your estimate is 600 total miles. But you don't know how far you might go. A lot of in town traffic driving may only yield 550 total miles. All highway, maybe closer to 650 total miles.

Point is, it is an estimate. Your mileage may vary.

I have 2 2013 Volts. My wife and I take turns driving each one. No matter which one she drives eventually her estimated EV miles is usually 3-4 miles more than when I am driving the same vehicle.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I can't vouch for the person that stated it, but I listened to an interview once where the interviewee stated that the Volt based its estimated range on using an algorithm that looked at the totality and efficiencies of the last ~150 miles driven.
On mine, at least, it seems to keep two figures, too. A guess for AER and a guess for gas range. It's been all ERDTT and EMM since November, so it's thinking that the 6.7 gallons in the tank are good for about 155 miles. Last fall, when I was putting a hundred miles a day on, that same amount of gas would have been good for 250-275. Since the weather got above freezing (I can't claim Wisconsin is actually "warm" yet), AER's recovered to its normal MY2012 high 30s, but the gas estimate hasn't refigured.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
On mine, at least, it seems to keep two figures, too. A guess for AER and a guess for gas range. It's been all ERDTT and EMM since November, so it's thinking that the 6.7 gallons in the tank are good for about 155 miles. Last fall, when I was putting a hundred miles a day on, that same amount of gas would have been good for 250-from5. Since the weather got above freezing (I can't claim Wisconsin is actually "warm" yet), AER's recovered to its normal MY2012 high 30s, but the gas estimate hasn't refigured.
We visited relatives in and around Houston for Thanksgiving [~220 miles one-way] and have yet to burn off the most recent 8 gallons that VoltStats uses for its per-tank calculations. But what i've noticed is that when we do run a little short on battery during an errand, the estimated range on gasoline does a recalibration.

I've also discovered that if my first few miles on gasoline begin while i'm already at freeway speed, the estimated range tends to increase - probably because i'm not in the worst portion of the efficiency curve; starting from a full stop. I hate it most when it transitions within the last 3 miles from home which are all uphill and on surface streets from all but one direction.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Yep, many, many times. Very easy if you travel long trips on country roads. Not quite as easy on the interstate at 75MPH+ ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts