GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded both these apps on my iPhone. They have mostly identical features.

So which one do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
383 Posts
My understanding is that My Chevy is for those cars with older OnStar systems and is a crippled version of the OnStar app. If your car is compatible with the OnStar app, use that. Pro tip: Volts are compatible with the OnStar app.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Remote Link

·
Registered
28 Posts
OnStar app has the locate-my-vehicle option, MyChevy app does not. Otherwise, they are the same with only cosmetic differences (as far as I can tell)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
OnStar app has the locate-my-vehicle option, MyChevy app does not. Otherwise, they are the same with only cosmetic differences (as far as I can tell)
In the MyChevy app it is called "Parked Location" on the Location Services tab. (You may have to scroll down a bit to find it unless you have rearranged to home page lists.

However, the MyChevy app does not tell you how many gallons for gas are remaining while the Onstar app does.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MyChevrolet has more features

On Android, MyChevrolet has more features than RemoteLink:
- Parked location
- some excerpts from the owners manual
- roadside assistance

They both seem to work equally inconsistently. In particular, remote starts seem to require 2 attempts before success - maybe because we have spotty ATT coverage at my workplace (and I have an ATT phone, car uses ATT as well).

You have to swipe down on the status page to get the charging status to update, and it seems to take several (15?) seconds to update.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The latest revision to the MyChevy app has all the info and functions of the OnStar app (except for gallons of gas remaining, but it does show gas range remaining), while adding a few more.

MyChevy also includes an abbreviated Owner's Manual, one-click connection to Roadside Assistance, to a Volt Advisor, to Onstar Advisors, for making a service appointment.

I have both on my phone, but have found myself using the MyChevy app rather than OnStar. I find the MyChevy app more stable than the OnStar app, which had a tendency to freeze up or shut down when trying to refresh vehicle info.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
- Parked location
- roadside assistance

They both seem to work equally inconsistently. In particular, remote starts seem to require 2 attempts before success - maybe because we have spotty ATT coverage at my workplace (and I have an ATT phone, car uses ATT as well).

You have to swipe down on the status page to get the charging status to update, and it seems to take several (15?) seconds to update.
RemoteLink also has the vehicle location.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Been using the onstar App for my 2017 volt. Seems to work pretty smooth. Vehicle updates when I swipe to refresh are pretty quick (20-30 seconds) this is the same whether I'm 100 feet away from the car, or 40 miles away from the car if I took the motorcycle to work.

The remote start for climate control feature has never failed me actually... and it's quite useful right now seeing as how we are hitting 100-103F here in Texas.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Been using the onstar App for my 2017 volt. Seems to work pretty smooth. Vehicle updates when I swipe to refresh are pretty quick (20-30 seconds) this is the same whether I'm 100 feet away from the car, or 40 miles away from the car if I took the motorcycle to work.

The remote start for climate control feature has never failed me actually... and it's quite useful right now seeing as how we are hitting 100-103F here in Texas.
The vehicle status updates occur through the OnStar data network so distance from you to the car is irrelevant.

·
Registered
476 Posts
- Parked location
- roadside assistance

Hello knodal,

If you’re having any problems with either your RemoteLink App or myChevrolet App, please do not hesitate to send us a private message with your account number. We’d be happy to review this further with you and if necessary, get the support of our Technical Advisors for additional assistance.

Best,

Amber G.
OnStar Customer Care

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny thing happened today.. I had my keys inside my backpack, which I left in the trunk and closed it. Now, I could not open the trunk nor any of the doors. I guess the hatch door locks automatically. Luckily I had my iPhone and was about to call OnStar. then I remembered the app that I had installed. I used OnStar to unlock the door. Worked like a charm. I am sure you could do the same with MyChevy app. Days of calling AAA are over finally .. And I do not miss it at all .. ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
However, the MyChevy app does not tell you how many gallons for gas are remaining while the Onstar app does.
But it does tell you how many miles you can drive on the remaining gas. May not be exact, but you get a rough idea.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I played with both and decided that I liked the OnStar app better on Android... What little the Chey app offered in addition I had no need for and I disliked what it took away and how it presented the data...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It's a little easier to switch between cars with the Chevy app...but I like the Onstar one better still.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been using the Onstar app for about a month. I did not realize there even was a MyChevrolet app. I just downloaded and did a quick comparison. From what I can see, there are only two real practical differences. For me the MyChevy app is much slower and it seems to crash and freeze more. The MyChevy app allows you to change the charge settings (time of departure and charge mode but not amperage). The biggest problem I have with both apps is that they don't update the charge level even after refreshing. I have to close the apps and restart them to get the correct charge level. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate both these apps a '5' or lower. They are okay but pretty clumsy. I compared them to the Ford app my nephew uses with his Energi and the Ford app seems to be much better; does not crash and gives more info and control.

·
Registered
677 Posts
One nice thing on the OnStar app is that it displays both the location of the vehicle and the phone making the inquiry on the same map.
I could find no way to get the Chevy app to do this...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I downloaded both apps when I bought the car a few days ago.

I like how MyChevy lets you see the charge status with 1dp %age. It is more pleasing to the eye as well (mine at least).

I have stopped using Remote Link.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts