GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Volt to get the recent 20% off sale, and to replace my VW diesel. However, I'm now driving my VW exclusively, to save miles on the Volt until I sell back the VW. I will drive my Volt only once a week or so...maybe to church and back only. Should I leave the Volt plugged in or unplugged? The Volt will be in our garage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is my understanding that there is communication between the car charger and the esve on the wall in your garage. If the car says "I don't need any more electricity" then a physical relay opens in the car which prevents electrons flowing into the battery. In addition to that, the car sends a signal to the ESVE on the wall and it opens its relay. So you can you leave the car plugged in all the time and if no charge is needed, then no electrons will flow into the car. If on the other hand, something happens in the car (like pre-conditioning) the car may ask for more electrons and gets them if it is plugged in ( by sending signals to close the relays). This is also how the time based charging/rate based charging works. My explanation is not Volt specific. I think it is true for any car that uses a J-1772 plug.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I bought my Volt to get the recent 20% off sale, and to replace my VW diesel. However, I'm now driving my VW exclusively, to save miles on the Volt until I sell back the VW. I will drive my Volt only once a week or so...maybe to church and back only. Should I leave the Volt plugged in or unplugged? The Volt will be in our garage.
BOY have you got self-control. If I had a new Volt, I'd be living in it. (Not really, but you get my drift.)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Spring to fall I unplug when it's done charging. I don't have to worry about thunderstorms in the middle of the night, or other such surprises from the power company. In the winter I leave it plugged in in case it wants to warm the battery, or whatever.

Do whatever appeals to you. It doesn't make that much difference.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'd probably charge it up after each drive, then unplug and leave it till the next drive. But it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
If the weather gets over 90, leave it plugged in so it can cool the battery. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses.

I estimate I'll put almost 1,500 miles from now until I sell my VW. That mileage could go to the Volt or the VW. I was driving the VW once per week, but I figured there's no reason for me not to drive it all the time, and save the miles on the Volt. And, there's no detriment to driving the VW from the perspective of the settlement I'm going to get. Also, it gets confusing driving two two different cars -- the controls are completely different. The VW's volume control, for instance, is on the left part of the steering wheel, while the Volt's is on the right. I keep trying to hit the regeneration paddle in the VW. And, to be honest, the VW is in many ways easier to drive. There's no ridiculously complex main screen to contend with, for instance. I just get in and drive.

I'll probably leave the Volt unplugged and just plug it in after getting back from church. I currently am using a Juicebox to control when the Volt gets charged anyway, so the Volt would only be able to be charged at night during the week and during the day on the weekends.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was driving the VW once per week, but I figured there's no reason for me not to drive it all the time, and save the miles on the Volt. And, there's no detriment to driving the VW from the perspective of the settlement I'm going to get.
Actually, there is a reason, although it's statistical and depends on your insurance details -- if you wreck the VW, you'll get whatever your insurance company says it's worth, which is probably much less than what VW would pay for it. If you wreck the Volt, you'll also get whatever your insurance company says it's worth, but that's probably closer to its actual value. You might want to call your insurance company to ask for details and crunch the numbers.

Also, of course, your VW is probably polluting much more than your Volt, especially if you've got one of the earlier VWs, without the urea injection system.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Unnecessary. Park it and forget it :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts