GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(
Hello everyone !!

It is getting very frustrating for me. Today, on a 8.7 miles round trip from home, I only got 35 MPG (0.26 gallons of gas used), even with a fully charged battery!!

Of course, it's cold today (7°F), but it's normal here in Quebec. The Volt's default setting for running the ICE when the outside temperature is below 25°F is really frustrating for me since we are mostly below that temperature from november to end of march (which is a THIRD of the year) !! That means that my lifetime mileage will go down a lot (it's actually at 87 MPG)

I thought that the goal of owning a Volt was about using as little FOSSIL FUEL as possible !!

I want the firmware update letting me setting the low temperature myself ... and I want it now (before the end of winter at least!!) ...

I know that EV range efficiency is lower when it's cold, but it still much better than GAS here: we pay 5$ a gallon for gas and only 7.7 cents per Kwh. There is not only efficiency that is important, there is also "green" consideration which is very important for me (here in Quebec, 98% of electricity is hydro).

Also, when I go to the corner store, which is less than 1 mile from my home, I only get 15 MPG !!! Knowing that I do such a short distance, it would be logical to «force» EV mode !!

Moreover, my garage is always at 45-50°F (it's attached to the house and insulated). Don't tell me that the inner of the car has time to get that cold when I go to the corner store ... so what's the need to run the ICE engine?? But unfortunately, 100 meters after leaving home, it detects that the outside temperature is below 25°F and the ICE kicks off for a few minutes and at HIGH RPM !!!

In the 2012 owner manual, it says that the user can config it ... so I WANT it!!

For those who says that cold is not good for battery life, how come the LEAF works at 0°F and they also have the 8 years / 100 000 miles battery warranty?

I don't mind having only 20 miles EV range during cold temperature ... at least give me the option to use it at 100% !! the ICE should be there as a last resort !!

I called my Volt advisor about this, and she should get back to me ... I will keep you posted ...

Sly

MPG-Volt.jpg

·
Registered
915 Posts
:(
Hello everyone !!

It is getting very frustrating for me. Today, on a 8.7 miles round trip from home, I only got 35 MPG (0.26 gallons of gas used), even with a fully charged battery!!

Of course, it's cold today (7°F), but it's normal here in Quebec. The Volt's default setting for running the ICE when the outside temperature is below 25°F is really frustrating for me since we are mostly below that temperature from november to end of march (which is a THIRD of the year) !! That means that my lifetime mileage will go down a lot (it's actually at 87 MPG)

I thought that the goal of owning a Volt was about using as little FOSSIL FUEL as possible !!

I want the firmware update letting me setting the low temperature myself ... and I want it now (before the end of winter at least!!) ...

I know that EV range efficiency is lower when it's cold, but it still much better than GAS here: we pay 5$ a gallon for gas and only 7.7 cents per Kwh. There is not only efficiency that is important, there is also "green" consideration which is very important for me (here in Quebec, 98% of electricity is hydro).

Also, when I go to the corner store, which is less than 1 mile from my home, I only get 15 MPG !!! Knowing that I do such a short distance, it would be logical to «force» EV mode !!

Moreover, my garage is always at 45-50°F (it's attached to the house and insulated). Don't tell me that the inner of the car has time to get that cold when I go to the corner store ... so what's the need to run the ICE engine?? But unfortunately, 100 meters after leaving home, it detects that the outside temperature is below 25°F and the ICE kicks off for a few minutes and at HIGH RPM !!!

In the 2012 owner manual, it says that the user can config it ... so I WANT it!!

For those who says that cold is not good for battery life, how come the LEAF works at 0°F and they also have the 8 years / 100 000 miles battery warranty?

I don't mind having only 20 miles EV range during cold temperature ... at least give me the option to use it at 100% !! the ICE should be there as a last resort !!

I called my Volt advisor about this, and she should get back to me ... I will keep you posted ...

Sly

View attachment 4227
The option will be nice to have when they offer/provide it, the car is smart but could be smarter. it seems to switch on here as soon as the outside temperature hits 26F not based on any coolant temperature.

But Damn 7F is cold. we got down to 20F in Northern Virginia today . I cycled 3 times to work but still did 150 MPG on my 20 Mile commute.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It was 16 F this morning here in Maryland. I do not have a garage so the car was sitting outside all night in very cold conditions. I preconditioned the car twice before the 7 mile drive to work and the ICE never came on. So clearly the outside temp alone does not determine ICE operation in cold weather.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is another frustrating thing:

Lets say that when I get home, the temperature is 7°F. I open the garage door and then shut the car down. Now, suppose that 3 hours later, I want to put some air in my tires. I use the 12V pump that comes with the Volt ... but I need to power up the car for the 12V plug to work. Guess what happens? The ICE starts because it still thinks that the temperature is 7°F !!! Therefore I have to open the garage door otherwise I will die from the carbon monoxide emission !!! And yes, 7°F is cold and I PREFER inflating my tires at 45-50°F ... but thats impossible since I have to open the garage door !!!!! And my kids rooms are right on top of the garage!

This is nonsense !!! Same thing ... the next morning, I better open the garage door BEFORE opening the garage door because the ICE will start on power up !!

The Volt is an advanced computer, so please GM ... give us more user options !!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was 16 F this morning here in Maryland. I do not have a garage so the car was sitting outside all night in very cold conditions. I preconditioned the car twice before the 7 mile drive to work and the ICE never came on. So clearly the outside temp alone does not determine ICE operation in cold weather.
I also tried the trick to use the «confort» settings, but I did not see much difference ...
I wouldn't not mind to precondition the car before leaving, but I'm much too scared that the ICE kick's in within my garage (see my other post in this tread).

·
8,680 Posts
Here is another frustrating thing:

Lets say that when I get home, the temperature is 7°F. I open the garage door and then shut the car down. Now, suppose that 3 hours later, I want to put some air in my tires. I use the 12V pump that comes with the Volt ... but I need to power up the car for the 12V plug to work. Guess what happens? The ICE starts because it still thinks that the temperature is 7°F !!! Therefore I have to open the garage door otherwise I will die from the carbon monoxide emission !!! And yes, 7°F is cold and I PREFER inflating my tires at 45-50°F ... but thats impossible since I have to open the garage door !!!!! And my kids rooms are right on top of the garage!

This is nonsense !!! Same thing ... the next morning, I better open the garage door BEFORE opening the garage door because the ICE will start on power up !!

The Volt is an advanced computer, so please GM ... give us more user options !!!!
Are you sure? I'd expect (and my limited experience suggests) that it would detect the temperature in the garage and start/not start based on that (so as long as the garage is over 25 degrees it won't start.)

I'm not 100% positive, but you should be able to bypass the engine running due to temperature by starting the car in service mode (hold power for several seconds without pressing the brake pedal.) That gets you accessory power and control computers, but doesn't move the car and prevents some engine starts (like opening the hood.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure? I'd expect (and my limited experience suggests) that it would detect the temperature in the garage and start/not start based on that (so as long as the garage is over 25 degrees it won't start.)

I'm not 100% positive, but you should be able to bypass the engine running due to temperature by starting the car in service mode (hold power for several seconds without pressing the brake pedal.) That gets you accessory power and control computers, but doesn't move the car and prevents some engine starts (like opening the hood.)
Hello!

I will try your trick to hold power for several seconds, I didn't know about that.

Thanks!

·
4,852 Posts
I can certainly understand your frustration for this 35mpg trip, but a couple points worth mentioning...

First, I've had my Volt over a full year, and yes, this happens during the winter. Despite that, my average MPG is over 100... Over 100 miles to a gallon of gas. While this single-trip sample of 35mpg can be frustrating, especially if you just got your Volt, the nature of this car is such that the MPG will not be consistent, but it will still deliver great numbers. Please be patient and see what your average MPG works out to over a given year, as that's really what matters.

Second, I believe that when you enter your Volt in your garage, if you simply press the Radio's power button on the center stack (not the blue button, the round button), then the Retained Accessory Power will be turned on, allow you to listen to music, and -- I believe -- powering your 12V outlets for your pump. If this works, I wouldn't recommend the service mode option suggested above, as that could potentially cause you to run your 12V battery dead rather quickly.

There are some situations where the Volt could be more efficient with running the engine, such as allowing the user to disable the "running due to temperature" for trips under a few miles. Despite that, please be patient and I am confident you'll love the overall fuel economy (not to mention performance and flexibility) that the Volt delivers.

And finally, welcome to the Volt owner community!

·
Registered
915 Posts
That makes no sense as I store in a garage 40-45 degrees and also preconditioned twice, as soon as i left the garage within 1/2 mile the temp on the dash dropped from 42 to 26 and when it hit 26 the engine ran.

·
Registered
720 Posts
and you are not going to die from inhaling Volt exhaust fumes for 30 seconds! That is ridiculous! Dude, you gotta chill out and let your car be. Even if you use 1/4 of a gallon each day... how much would you use in a month? 10 gallons? That's better than any Prius driver, right? In super cold temps the prius gets what 35mpg? He's probably using close to 3x the fuel you are using.

·
Registered
57 Posts
this is out of the GM service manual...

Subject: (EREV) Generator (ICE) Operation During Cold Ambient Temperature

Models: 2011 - 2012 Chevrolet Volt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update model and model years. Please discard PIP4865.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Customers may comment that during cold ambient temperature cabin conditioning (remote start) event, the internal combustion engine (ICE) runs even with the vehicle plugged into a charger. Customers may also comment that while driving in cold ambient temperature the ICE will run for extended periods or cycle on and off and a message will appear on the instrument panel that states "ENGINE RUNNING DUE TO TEMPERATURE" even when the battery is fully charged. Technicians will find no DTC's associated with the customers concern.

Recommendation/Instructions:

At ambient temperature's of approximately 25 F (-4 C) or below the ICE will operate to assist in warming the coolant used to warm the vehicles cabin. After the coolant temperature reaches approximately 150 F (65 C) the ICE will shut off and remain off (as long as the battery state of charge is sufficient) until the engine coolant temperature drops to approximately 104 F (40 C) at which time the ICE will restart. This function will continue as long as the ambient temperature is approximately 25 F (-4 C) or less while driving. After the ambient temperature rises above approximately 25 F (-4 C) the vehicle will resume normal electric operation (as long as the battery state of charge is sufficient).

This is a design characteristic and no attempt should be made to correct this condition.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Second, I believe that when you enter your Volt in your garage, if you simply press the Radio's power button on the center stack (not the blue button, the round button), then the Retained Accessory Power will be turned on, allow you to listen to music, and -- I believe -- powering your 12V outlets for your pump. If this works, I wouldn't recommend the service mode option suggested above, as that could potentially cause you to run your 12V battery dead rather quickly.
I just tried the Accessory Power round button, and I confirm that the three 12V outlets are NOT working ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are some situations where the Volt could be more efficient with running the engine, such as allowing the user to disable the "running due to temperature" for trips under a few miles. Despite that, please be patient and I am confident you'll love the overall fuel economy (not to mention performance and flexibility) that the Volt delivers.

And finally, welcome to the Volt owner community!
Thanks Clarksoncote!! ;-)

·
4,852 Posts
It never came on because, since it was under 25*F, the car turned the engine on DURING the preconditioning time.

·
4,852 Posts
I just tried the Accessory Power round button, and I confirm that the three 12V outlets are NOT working ...
I tried too after suggesting it and no luck. There must be a way that's not using service mode, hmmmm...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I thought I also read that if you precondition with a cabin temperature near 80 then it helps the engine to not switch on? anyone with any insight into that?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
90 degrees F in LA today, a new all time record. You guys are truly causing me to count my blessings, LOL.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
But Damn 7F is cold.
Hey, Brittt1, grow a pair ;).

Seriously, it's all in what you're used to.

I live in the Chicago area. We had -26F a couple of years ago and that is DAMN COLD, even to us hearty Chicagoans.

The first cold day of the year is always painful to me. It has me questioning my sanity about living here. The 2nd cold day is still a bit painful. A month into it, you don't really notice unless something changes with the wind or the humidity level and it gets to be biting.

Oh, but then we all own coats, hats, gloves, boots, and all that stuff that makes the weather tolerable.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hey, Brittt1, grow a pair ;).

Seriously, it's all in what you're used to.

I live in the Chicago area. We had -26F a couple of years ago and that is DAMN COLD, even to us hearty Chicagoans.

The first cold day of the year is always painful to me. It has me questioning my sanity about living here. The 2nd cold day is still a bit painful. A month into it, you don't really notice unless something changes with the wind or the humidity level and it gets to be biting.

Oh, but then we all own coats, hats, gloves, boots, and all that stuff that makes the weather tolerable.
I wouldn't leave the house at -26. It can get cold here in NoVa but not like Chicago and not like Canada... At the end of the day the car is operating as it should and as it is documented the same way its operating.

As for the other folks b!tchin :p about getting 35 miles out of a charge (i'm sorry but page 1 of the Chevy Volt Dealer sales booklet says " Since Volt can drive initially on 35 Miles (2), (2) conditions Vary" no one should be crying that they get 40+ miles on a charge for 9 months of the Year and 30+ for 3 months, it'll average out way above the 35 in the sales brochure).

However, I do wish they would activate the options listed in the 2012 Manual about holding the engine running based on conditions. At the end of the day, if you are traveling 3 miles to work and then switching off for the day, whats the point in the engine running?

I bet you the Ampera has this option enabled.

·
8,680 Posts
If this works, I wouldn't recommend the service mode option suggested above, as that could potentially cause you to run your 12V battery dead rather quickly.
Am I missing something? I know WOT pointed out that the APM doesn't run in service mode, preventing the Traction battery from charging the 12V battery, but the Volt has a substantial AGM 12V battery, and with the car running at night, it only reported the APM as using ~30 amps (360 Watts.) Presumably it'd be less than that in service mode, and since the AGM is said to be 60 Ah here:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5409-Auxillary-Battery/page2

it should run for a couple hours with the full operating load, some of which (headlights...) wouldn't apply in service mode. Is there some reason to be afraid of service mode I'm not aware of?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts