GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was getting ready for work, I hit the button on my onstar app to pre-condition my car as it its on L2 charging in my garage. All is well.

Soon as I open the door and get in, instead of a nice cool cabin, I'm greeted with nothing but Texas Heat. (Currently 102F here in central TX)

crap... not even 1.5 months after taking delivery, and the AC is broken? At the worst possible time of the year? CEL light is on. Car charges and drives normally though, no messages or anything on the dash.

Made an appointment with the dealer for the AM tomorrow... didn't feel like dealing with a hot ass car for the 40 min drive to work, so I jumped on the motorcycle. Just as hot on the road, but going 75 makes it way way more bearable.

I love my volt, it's been a blast the past 3200 miles, but this is kind of a smack in the face that brings me back down to earth and realize it's just another car like everything else.

Called the dealer, Classic Chevy in DFW Tx just 15 min from my house. They were fast and friendly on the phone , said tomorrow morning they would have a loaner avail. Works out nice because I get off work at 7am, home by 8am, and will drop it off to them to square away. Hopefully it's an easy and permanent fix.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Bummer, I wonder if there is some secret handshake an owner can perform to reset the HVAC, like pulling a fuse or two. Hopefully a Gen II owner will have an answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I was secretly hoping if I plugged it in and let it sit over night it might fix itself. I had a CEL pop up a week ago, onstar checked it and said "charging system and brake calibration" something or other. Everything was performing as expected, the light went away after a day, so I was happy.

Trying to stay positive over the whole thing, I need to take it into the dealer anyway and have them look at/fix a bad squeak coming from the driver side seat adjustment controls. Seems to be temperature dependant but an otherwise silent ride is shattered due to a badly squeaking lever control thingy. I was going to give it a shot at fixing it myself this weekend, but since a major system is out, might as well let them handle it while it's in.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Many Gen I issues could be resolved by disconnecting the 12V battery, waiting about a minute and reconnecting. Might be worth the 10 or 15 minutes of your time to try it.

But I'd still take it to the dealer even if that works today. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Definitely take it in. Most likely something minor but driving without AC is tres uncomfortable. I don't think this is common so let us know what the dealer comes up with.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just dropped it off this morning -- they are the top volt dealership in the state I believe (Texas).

Got a base model cruz as a loaner... don't get me wrong it's new. But it really makes you appreciate the level of luxury and comfort even the base model Volt's have. The Start/Stop on this thing is clunky, and hearing a little engine rev super high just to get on the highway is funny and a little sad. Missing my 300ft-lbs of silent awesome volt acceleration already.

·
Registered
741 Posts
at 102 heat, I am sure the condenser/radiator fan is on very high mode when idling, probably the only time it comes on. I heard mine for the first and only time on plus 95 degree day. I usually don't turn on my A/C in the house or car unless it gets really hot.

I am reminded of a new diesel Rabbit in 1978. Back then the AC was often installed at the dealer (it looked somewhat factory like). After installation it kept blowing off the overheat plug (soft lead plug) in the receiver dryer and dumping all the coolant out. Some other mechanic would always fill it up and check it out and send it down the road. It only blew the plug in town. One day it became my turn to work on it and I replaced the plug, checked the oil in the compressor, evac and recharged and it was blowing cold air. But I was standing in front of the car with the radiator fan running (which isnt often on a diesel without A/C on) and my pant legs were blowing in the breeze. I thinking what the hell....the factory had wired the radiator fan backwards. When the car idled, AC ok. When driving 60 mph, A/C ok. When driving 35, the fan speed matched the airspeed and it became dead air around the condenser and overheated.

Now days, it is much more likely to be a mechanical failure of some kind.

·
Registered
313 Posts
just dropped it off this morning -- they are the top volt dealership in the state I believe (Texas).

Got a base model cruz as a loaner... don't get me wrong it's new. But it really makes you appreciate the level of luxury and comfort even the base model Volt's have. The Start/Stop on this thing is clunky, and hearing a little engine rev super high just to get on the highway is funny and a little sad. Missing my 300ft-lbs of silent awesome volt acceleration already.
LOL, Yeah, My loaner was a CRUZ also. What a difference from the VOLT. The first thing I noticed was the noisey engine. The second was how awkward the transmission shifted, jerky. The third was the AGGRESSIVE BRAKES.

You get so USED to the volt, that almost silent whine of the electric motors, absolutely no noticable tranny shifting and the regen is much much smoother.

The interior of the CRUZ was freaking noisey, even with the radio on.

THE VOLT SPOILS US, even if we don't admit it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One question I have is will the car run without the AC?

Unlike most cars, the AC system is an integral part of the powertrain in that heat, as the AC is used to cool the battery pack coolant. AC failure is more than inconvenient in the Volt.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sorry to hear, sounds like the first gen2 A/C issue reported...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One question I have is will the car run without the AC?

Unlike most cars, the AC system is an integral part of the powertrain in that heat, as the AC is used to cool the battery pack coolant. AC failure is more than inconvenient in the Volt.
Yes the car will run -- yesterday I noticed no issues using battery power even when I was in the late afternoon heat. This morning when I got in to drive to the dealer, I noticed it activated "gas only" mode after a mile or two (it wasn't near as hot maybe 85F) Wouldn't let me switch to battery power even though I had 45+ miles of range in it.

Not sure if that's the car protecting itself or another part of the car took a dump. We'll see I suppose. Will keep things updated as I find out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update from the dealer -- looks like the compressor went out, throwing all sorts of codes in the car. Car goes into a safety sort of mode and uses ICE only when it detects issues like this.

Turned it in this morning (Thurs) at 8am, the service manager (who also has a Volt) called me and said I should be rolling in my own volt tomorrow sometime. Not a bad turn around.

Luckily I'll only have to take this Cruz to and from work once :p

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
update from the dealer -- looks like the compressor went out, throwing all sorts of codes in the car. Car goes into a safety sort of mode and uses ICE only when it detects issues like this.

Turned it in this morning (Thurs) at 8am, the service manager (who also has a Volt) called me and said I should be rolling in my own volt tomorrow sometime. Not a bad turn around.

Luckily I'll only have to take this Cruz to and from work once :p
I totally get that it will be under warranty, but I would love to know the cost if it hadn't been. If you would share, I would appreciate it. You will probably have to ask.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well what they said would be a day or two is rolling into 5 days. A bit frusturated mostly because of the Cruz they gave me as a loaner... driving 70 miles round trip a day means I have to actually go to a gas station every few days now (bleh)

To the service managers credit - he's called me every day and updated me, they have been very professional. The hold up seems to be waiting on a new AC compressor from Michigan.

It's crazy how much my 2017 volt has spoiled me in 1.5 months of ownership, even though the loaner they gave me only had like 400 miles on it, it was still a bit of a shocker how basic the cruz seems relative to fit/finish/quality of the 2nd Gen volt. I'll be super happy when I get my baby back!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wonder if it's really a compressor failure or just a bad assembly of the seals. I'm pretty comfortable doing any job but I would rank compressor installs (and the dryer) at the top of the list in terms of difficulty because the GM AC seals are a bear to get sealed tight. Takes me 4-5 times to have it hold vacuum before I dump the refrigerant in. On my 98 Pontiac I had to give up. I would assume the CEL code is the low pressure switch which tells the computer it can't hold pressure, and if it was on and off - it was borderline. Not sure if it could be as simple as recycling the refrigerant and making sure the volume is right (full) and not swapping the compressor. I would absolutely pull the refrigerant out and then see if it holds vacuum before swapping the compressor. Just because it's leaking around the compressor ports doesn't mean the compressor is bad either - it's just not sealed good like what happens to me (the novice plumber) Recycle or just re-seal could get you back on the road a lot quicker. And if it's really a small leak elsewhere - the CEL will be back on either a few days or weeks after getting it back with a new compressor installed.

New compressor install and recycling the refrigerant I would estimate at about $900.00. And if they put a new compressor on - it's usually recommended by GM to put a new dryer on too (~40) I think..

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well with only 3200 miles on the clock, I won't be paying a dime that's about the only good part I can see. messing with AC compressors is way beyond my skill set in terms of automotive stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just curious - if you got your Volt from a dealership that was quite a distance away and you had a dealership that was closer to your residence, would you have had to take the Volt back to the dealership you bought it from or would any dealership deal with the issue? I'm guessing the latter but does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Just curious - if you got your Volt from a dealership that was quite a distance away and you had a dealership that was closer to your residence, would you have had to take the Volt back to the dealership you bought it from or would any dealership deal with the issue? I'm guessing the latter but does anyone know for sure?
Yes you can take it to any GM dealer. But your best chance of getting something on a Volt fixed in a timely manner would be at a Chevy dealer that has Volt Techs.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Luckily the dealer I bought my volt from is only about 10 or 15 minutes from my house (Classic Chevy in Grapevine, TX) they are one of the largest movers of Volts in the state. Very volt friendly place - the sales guy I bought it from is here on the forums from time to time.

And the service manager is a stand up great guy, he also has a volt too :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts