GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Love the car, but have noticed that since I took possession my battery range has never been above 64km with full charge. When it was -30 celcius last week it would say 54km range. Is this an estimate based on temperature? IF so I would guess as spring comes I would see closer to the 85 km specified?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It's based on recent driving conditions... includes your driving style (low vs high speed, quick starts, elevation gain vs flat, etc), HVAC usage (heat uses a ton of power), and things like temperature (batteries aren't as efficient when cold and some energy is used to heat them). It may not track all these variables separately, but combined they result in a certain average "energy used per mile" that is used to estimate your next charge's range.

Yes, when spring comes, you'll be surprised at the range increase. It's a glorious annual tradition ;)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It'll get better, just wait until this spring, you'll be pleasantly surprised how far you'll be able to go on a charge. The Volt's range is affected by the THREE T's - Temperature, Terrain and Technique.

And make sure your add more air to the tires than what is recommended on the door label.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
It'll get better, just wait until this spring, you'll be pleasantly surprised how far you'll be able to go on a charge. The Volt's range is affected by the THREE T's - Temperature, Terrain and Technique.

And make sure your add more air to the tires than what is recommended on the door label.
So FOUR T's then. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Love the car, but have noticed that since I took possession my battery range has never been above 64km with full charge. When it was -30 Celsius last week it would say 54km range. Is this an estimate based on temperature? IF so I would guess as spring comes I would see closer to the 85 km specified?
30 Celsius? or Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-30 Celsius (rest of world), or -22 Fahrenheit (America). either way you measure FRIGGEN COLD!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
When it gets warm out expect to be closer to one side or the other of 100k.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Neither of those links work for me. wants me to login to yahoo? Did yahoo buy flicr?
apparently, my yahoo accounts and flickr are linked!

I used to load the screenshots in the GM-Volt site but it is now impossible to do this to upload a picture. it has a very buggy page that occupies the browser so any uploaded file can't be added to the album.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love the car, but have noticed that since I took possession my battery range has never been above 64km with full charge. When it was -30 celcius last week it would say 54km range. Is this an estimate based on temperature? IF so I would guess as spring comes I would see closer to the 85 km specified?
Based on temp and driving habits. I got my 18 LT in late October. I briefly saw an estimated range over 80km, now it's 50-55km. Canadian winters kinda suck.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
In my 2017 LT Volt I can see anywhere from 70kms range (winter) to 110kms of range (summer). My record so far is 125kms of range. My winter range is so good because I don't use much cabin heat. I pre-heat the car well in my garage and then rely on the heated seats and steering wheel to keep me warm. If I crank the heat my winter range would probably drop to 50 - 60kms of range.

When it goes below -10C and ERDTT kicks on (engine running due to temperature - deferred setting) I crank the heat might as well use it. Also by cranking the heat it (and running low fan speed) it reduces gas engine cycling and run time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took delivery of my 2017 in Feb of last year and I was easily getting 85km every day in Toronto and that includes temperatures in the low -20s. In the summer, I regularly got >100km.

This winter, though, I’m lucky to get 70km and the ERDTT runs a LOT. I’m thinking they did a software change over the summer or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts