GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife apparently hates this feature. I love it myself. It's her car, so is there a way to turn this off? I tried going through the settings to see if it's a feature it can be turned off easily. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It might be something the dealership can turn off by connecting to the car but I don't believe there is any sort of menu option to turn it off, or adjust the number of blinks it will automatically do though anything user accessible.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Just push the lever all the way. End of problem.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I love it too. 3 blinks with a momentary tap. Actually easier to NOT have it work, as if you hold the lever down just a second too long, it deactivates.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do they make any cars that don't have this feature at this point? I know my last bunch of cars did.
What is her problem with it? Does she want more or less blinks? Either way, as mentioned above, just lift or lower the stalk all the way and it functions like a traditional blinker and deselect whenever you want.
I think the people who like this probably far outweigh the people who don't.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I've had a Malibu, a Cruze, and an F150 as rentals the last few months, and all three had the feature.
I don't believe the Kia Sportage had it though.
Seems to be very common now, and personally I really like it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To be honest, I didn't know about this feature; so cool! I guess when you keep cars for 20 years ('97 Geo Prizm -> '17 Volt) you don't think about all of these possibilities. Now if I could just find the hand cranks for the windows.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
My VWs had the feature, the Prii didn't.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I personally dislike it, too. I would prefer the control of blinking only as long as I'm pressing it. The main reason I dislike it is that, on more than one occasion, I'll check if a lane is clear, press my blinker, and then suddenly have to not actually make that lane change - either because someone else is coming into that lane, or it's the wrong exit, or whatever - and the car continues blinking to indicate my change, even though I'm not doing it anymore.

FWIW, a 2014 Lexus I had offered the ability to change this at the dealer, and I did. I have not looked into whether the Volt can have this changed by the dealer. Please let me know if you find out.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You can turn it off. If you click it then return it to center it stops blinking. I never knew anyone didn't like this super convenient option. I wish it blinked 4 times though. My 2016 promaster 3500 blinks 5 times.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I found that rather than a quick tap which activates it the 3 blink function, if you hold it in position, it only blinks as long as you hold it as long as at least one blink has been made and stops when released. It's at least some control without locking it into position. The only thing I find slightly annoying is when I'm getting on or off a freeway and I wrongly "disengage" my blinker (usually its in a locked position when merging) because I only tapped it, then it indicates the opposite direction I was intending for a couple blinks. Aside from that I try to remember to lock it into whatever position I need to indicate and cancel manually as one normally would have done with a "dumb" car.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
the feature has been around for many years on various cars and trucks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can turn it off by pushing the control stalk all the way up/down until it clicks into place...

Honestly I don't think their's a way to disable it. I really don't see the need for that ability either.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I find that an odd complaint. It's kind of like saying I don't like that the radio gets the NPR station. She should just not activate the feature.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The only way I can see that you could accidentally activate this is if you're trying to flash the blinker once and don't hold it long enough. If that's the case she should consider letting it blink more times for changing lanes because only blinking it once doesn't really count and won't be noticed...

If you decide to cancel changing lanes and it keeps blinking, tapping it again in the same direction stops it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts