GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://fortune.com/2016/04/20/why-this-tesla-model-x-owner-can-no-longer-use-his-car/

Wow, he had to drive with 1 hand while holding the driver's door closed because it wouldn't latch? To think this was happening on a $140k brand new vehicle. I would have been livid if I was that owner.

Deeter later power-cycled the system, which cured the problem until he got back in the Model X this morning. He resigned himself to another day of driving with one hand on the driver’s side door, but as he backed out of his driveway, the emergency brake kept automatically engaging. He’d drive a few feet, be forced to stop, put the car in park and then reverse … before the entire thing began again. And, to make things even worse, the driver’s side window would no longer close all the way.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Which is why I won't be buying a TM3 when the service center is 250 miles away, and GM is 2 blocks from my office (easy walking distance). People are overly forgiving to Tesla. At least early adopters, I imagine TM3 owners will be less forgiving.

The Falcon wing doors are still a puzzle to me, I suppose they wanted something unique, but all I can say is my minivan doors always work and have most of the same benefit. Not to mention I wouldn't want the Falcon wing doors in a cold climate. Normal doors would have been the way to go, I don't think it would have hurt sales.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
http://fortune.com/2016/04/20/why-this-tesla-model-x-owner-can-no-longer-use-his-car/

Wow, he had to drive with 1 hand while holding the driver's door closed because it wouldn't latch? To think this was happening on a $140k brand new vehicle. I would have been livid if I was that owner.

Deeter later power-cycled the system, which cured the problem until he got back in the Model X this morning. He resigned himself to another day of driving with one hand on the driver’s side door, but as he backed out of his driveway, the emergency brake kept automatically engaging. He’d drive a few feet, be forced to stop, put the car in park and then reverse … before the entire thing began again. And, to make things even worse, the driver’s side window would no longer close all the way.
So , the parking brake engaged and Tesla doesn't have road side assistance . Obviously another CR hit piece . Not biting .

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've had door latches freeze open during the winter before. You just have to hold it shut until the car warms up.
A single part failure can occasionally happen on any item, no matter the price. It's when you have repeated problems that it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The door latches are "electrical" not mechnical like the Corvette and some Cadillac's. This is an electrical problem not mechnical.

But yes on a $100K+ luxury car this is disconcerting and if I were the owner I would be pissed. And yes Tesla owners are so much more forgiving then the average car buyer.

The folks buying the model 3 will be a mix of "fanboys" and John Q Public. JQP won't be so forgiving.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think we're seeing the reason why major manufacturers don't use gull wing doors. I suspect the doors will always be problematical.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess you don't have to have much of a brain to be a venture capitalist. If your car's not safe to drive, don't drive it. Just because you emailed for help and didn't get a response doesn't mean you should be driving it around. ESPECIALLY if you have another vehicle to drive!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think we're seeing the reason why major manufacturers don't use gull wing doors. I suspect the doors will always be problematical.
more complexity. Plus the first time one of those doors fails and falls on a passenger......

·
8,680 Posts
The door latches are "electrical" not mechnical like the Corvette and some Cadillac's. This is an electrical problem not mechnical.

But yes on a $100K+ luxury car this is disconcerting and if I were the owner I would be pissed. And yes Tesla owners are so much more forgiving then the average car buyer.

The folks buying the model 3 will be a mix of "fanboys" and John Q Public. JQP won't be so forgiving.
Maybe. But I seriously doubt JQP stood in line for hours on the 31st - or even went on line on the first to immediately reserve. If anything, the percentage of fanboys in the first year or two of Model 3 production will probably be higher than the current S/X percentage - because they've just captured all the folks who desperately wanted the earlier Teslas and couldn't afford one, and those are the people who will get the first 3s.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I got my Car and Driver edition today. Basically, they totally make fun of the Tesla Model X for having the falcon doors calling them slow,silly, and impractical many times over. I don't think you can view this online yet but I could be mistaken. They say it takes 5.5 seconds to open and six to close, but that is if there are no false readings to halt their progress. They like the car overall, but really hit the doors hard. The title of the article is, "Not Just Winging It."

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The door latches are "electrical" not mechnical like the Corvette and some Cadillac's.
That's almost as stupid as an electrical emergency brake. Oh wait, we call it "parking brake" now don't we? Prolly 'cuz it's useless when the 12V goes out.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The front doors aren't gull wing; they are standard. I don't know if that affects this issue's impact on Tesla's reputation, but I think it's important to note that it's not just the new technology they are having trouble implementing.

I'm also not sure why they felt the need to call out CSOD, but I work with them and have some friends over there so... shout out! :D

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
That's almost as stupid as an electrical emergency brake. Oh wait, we call it "parking brake" now don't we? Prolly 'cuz it's useless when the 12V goes out.
Like the Corvette and other cars there are manual release leavers to pop open the door's in case of an emergency. In the Corvette there is a pull in the rear hatch area and on the floor near the outboard side of the seats. The Corvette/XLR have had these since 2005.

And as others have pointed out the Falcon Wing doors are not the drivers or front passenger door, they are normal hinged doors.

The Falcon Wing doors are for the second and third seat access.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am hopeful that Tesla has learned a lesson with the FWD that will lead them to a KISS mindset for at least the mechanical bits of model 3 and Y.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I suspect "few" would have been outraged if the Falcon Wing doors had not made it to production. While "cool" there are a whole host of things that seem to make them "less than desirable" in real world use. Things like having to open them in a down pour. or having to open them after a nice Minnesota "Ice storm" when there is an inch of sheet ice on the roof of your car. Not to say that these issues cannot affect conventional sliding doors to some degree "freezing being one" but they DO seem to be more complex a solution than what could have been employed.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

This says more about the driver than it does Tesla...we all know that every car manufacturer has glitches...the story is in how the driver deals with them...if this had been a Volt, the driver would have called for a tow and then come on the forum to let everyone know what happened to their beloved Volt...:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts