GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey, I have an idea. Some car manufacturer should come up with a plug-in electric car with a decent range that covers most people's trips to work etc, but it has a gas engine that allows you to also go long distance whenever you need it. Ideally, the car would be fun to drive and feel a lot like you're driving an electric car even when the gas engine is on.

I think GM should pay me a lot of money for permission to use this concept. But, knowing them, they'll come up with an amazing car that meets all these requirements, then fail to market it at all, and ultimately withdraw it from the market just when the market starts demanding this sort of car.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Read the entire article. The real issue is we don't have a high speed public charging network for those who don't own their own homes. Combine this with how slow EVs charge I can see why people switch back to gas.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
I switched back to a rotary phone and landline due to the hassle of charging a mobile phone...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Read the entire article. The real issue is we don't have a high speed public charging network for those who don't own their own homes. Combine this with how slow EVs charge I can see why people switch back to gas.
Read what I wrote, this time try and understand what I was saying.

EDIT: Hmm, it seems I made an error in responding to this post with what I did.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Those with houses or homes can buy EVs that have slower chargers. Those that require fast chargers because they live in an older apartment, buy cars that can charge from near empty in 15 to twenty minutes. Those that travel long distances because they can't afford a house near were they work buy long distance models. Those that live in areas were there isn't much in the way of fast charging and they need it, wait a few years. Those that can't afford a new EV, buy a used EV. Those that can't afford a used EV take public transit. I don't see a problem. Saying I'm never going to buy another EV because the Bolt doesn't pull the harrows on the north east 160 worth a darn, just doesn't make sense. You buy according to your needs.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I switched back to a rotary phone and landline due to the hassle of charging a mobile phone...
Got one of those at farm until few years. Voice quality (when calling another landline) was top notch compared to crappy 3G "let's only utilize small part of audio spectrum, compress it with lossy algorithm and make the sound come out from zero watt mini speaker".

Had to let it go after phone company took out the copper wires and sold them to scrap.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
Reactions: Andy00778

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Reactions: volty25

·
Registered
403 Posts
Those with houses or homes can buy EVs that have slower chargers. Those that require fast chargers because they live in an older apartment, buy cars that can charge from near empty in 15 to twenty minutes.
Which cars would those be?

Those that travel long distances because they can't afford a house near were they work buy long distance models.
Long distance models:
  • Cost more
  • Still require charging (and take longer to do so because they have larger batteries)
  • Do not have the range of your entry level ICE car.

Those that live in areas were there isn't much in the way of fast charging and they need it, wait a few years.
That's what people are doing. But for some reason they're being labelled as anti-green.

Those that can't afford a new EV, buy a used EV.
Why should they have to buy used when they can afford a new ICE vehicle?

Those that can't afford a used EV take public transit.
What if there's no public transportation (I assume you mean mass transit public transportation).

I don't see a problem. Saying I'm never going to buy another EV because the Bolt doesn't pull the harrows on the north east 160 worth a darn, just doesn't make sense. You buy according to your needs.
Of course you don't because you expect people to adjust their life to a technology which isn't ready for their needs. So much arrogance in your post.

·
Registered
403 Posts
And some can't take a joke. Oh well.
I didn't see it as a joke nor, like Bill said, was there any indication that it was such.

That said I have several relatives who live in the mountains where cell services is unavailable. According to you these people are fools for continuing to use a landline phone instead of a $1K smart phone. According to many on this site when they need to make a phone call they should jump in the car and go to a location where cell coverage is available, make their call, and then drive home when they're done. Have an incoming call? You'll just have to wait until you go somewhere where there is cell coverage and you can check your voicemail and call them back. Heaven forbid they should use an inexpensive landline that does what they need without all the hassle that comes from using a smart phone.

·
Registered
403 Posts
the volt is a million dollar car
o issues with charging, just run it on gas
Unfortunately GM has discontinued the Volt making it less attractive to potential buyers. It is a great concept but it does carry the cost of two power trains.

It is also ideal for those situations where its shorter range won't be an issue. For me it's an ideal fit as I do a lot of short distances driving every day. Its range easily meets most of my every day needs. However I wouldn't recommend it, at least from an EV point of view, for a lot of people if their driving situation is such that it will be primarily operating under ICE power.

The relatives I previously mentioned are one such example. Since they live in the mountains they have to travel further to go into town. Combine that with colder weather in the winter (which can shorten EV range by 25 - 35%) and hills and the range of the Volt is insufficient to operate the majority of time on battery.

A friend of mine, with a first generation Volt, lives in the Denver metro area but can only charge at 120 volts. She owns a townhome with a detached garage. As the power is supplied by the community she isn't able to install a 240 volt circuit. The pathetic charging rate of approximately 3 miles per hour of charge it takes approximately 11 hours to fully charge it. Given this it spends a lot of time under ICE power. I'm unsure if the savings offsets the additional cost of obtaining the car.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Volt is a great vehicle but it has to be a good fit for ones situation. For me it makes a lot of sense. For my relatives not so much. For my friend, well, I'm unsure.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I get the joke but some people seriously think this way.

Like people that buy extended warranties yet trade in their car every three years.

A true class of genius.
Not everyone lives in your idealistic world. In their world they have constraints which limits what they can do. The arrogance displayed by some in this forum is unbelievable. Here we have a study where people said why they returned to an ICE vehicle and you are telling them how stupid they are for doing so.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,030 Posts
never ever have I had a problem with range with a Volt
just went on a 2000 km joy ride through the mountains in 3 days
ran the engine up the mountain and regen down the mountain, did every thing I asked of it
gained half a battery on regen and got 51 mpg doing it, thats getting into motorbike territory for fuel range
million dollar baby
i never left the ice, still have one

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
That said I have several relatives who live in the mountains where cell services is unavailable. According to you these people are fools for continuing to use a landline phone instead of a $1K smart phone. According to many on this site when they need to make a phone call they should jump in the car and go to a location where cell coverage is available, make their call, and then drive home when they're done. Have an incoming call? You'll just have to wait until you go somewhere where there is cell coverage and you can check your voicemail and call them back. Heaven forbid they should use an inexpensive landline that does what they need without all the hassle that comes from using a smart phone.
You must be kidding, right? According to me? I said nothing about your relatives nor did I call them fools. You are making stuff up and drawing lines where there are no dots. Your umbrage is not even logical. According to you I told your relatives to get rid of a cellphone they never had. Sheesh. Perhaps you are just having a bad week?

Now I'm getting rid of this computer and going back to a typewriter for future posts.
Just in case you can't tell that the statement is ridiculous on its face, here's some help for you :) ;):giggle:🙃:giggle:
Hopefully you don't take great offensive because you have a relative somewhere forced to use a typewriter* (*NOTE /s, sarcasm)

Not everyone lives in your idealistic world. In their world they have constraints which limits what they can do. The arrogance displayed by some in this forum is unbelievable. Here we have a study where people said why they returned to an ICE vehicle and you are telling them how stupid they are for doing so.
Study: "Of those who switched, over 70% lacked access to Level 2 charging at home, and slightly fewer than that lacked Level 2 connections at their workplace."

If they bought an EV and did not think about how to charge it, yes, they were very uniformed buyers. They should have bought a Volt or other PHEV which eliminates the issue.

Also, 240V charging is not needed at work. A full day charging at 120V will work just fine unless you are driving a crazy number of miles to the office every day.

Alternatively, buy something like a Bolt EV and get a 240V charge station installed. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Same goes for those who want a cross country road trip car but are unwilling to spend more than a few minutes recharging. Get a Volt or other PHEV or get ready to be disappointed.

These people simply failed to do their homework. They were negligent or misled. Like someone buying a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle without investigating whether there are any refueling stations where they plan the live/drive.

Reactions: Bushpilot

·
Registered
403 Posts
never ever have I had a problem with range with a Volt
just went on a 2000 km joy ride through the mountains in 3 days
ran the engine up the mountain and regen down the mountain, did every thing I asked of it
gained half a battery on regen and got 51 mpg doing it, thats getting into motorbike territory for fuel range
million dollar baby
i never left the ice, still have one
What do you mean you've never, ever had a problem with the range of the Volt?

·
Registered
403 Posts
You must be kidding, right? According to me? I said nothing about your relatives. You are making stuff up and drawing lines where there are no dots. Your umbrage is not even logical. According to you I told your relatives to get rid of a cellphone they never had. Sheesh. Perhaps you are just having a bad week?

Now I'm getting rid of this computer and going back to a typewriter for future posts.
Just in case you can't tell that the statement is ridiculous on its face, here's some help for you :) ;):giggle:🙃:giggle:
Hopefully you don't take great offensive because you have a relative somewhere forced to use a typewriter* (*NOTE /s, sarcasm)
Coincidentally I never said that you did.

As for the situation I gave about my relatives it was meant to illustrate the foolishness of the often made argument that those who are unable to charge at their residence use public chargers.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts