GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMG_1780.jpg
So.. about 2 weeks ago, here in Salem OR - in typical NW fashion.. it was raining. I stopped into Buffalo Wild Wings to get my wife some boneless wings as requested for dinner (she is pregnant so she gets anything she wants). On pulling away from the restaurant, I drove through a puddle. It wasn't amazingly huge or deep, I didn't really even see it until I was in it. About 3/4 of the way through it though, I started hearing this crazy loud scraping sound. Stopped, backed up, forward creep.. same sound. Ok.. must have picked up a pop can or something? So I hop out, in the rain, get down on the asphalt and look under. I see a twisted mass of metal. By this time 3 or 4 other cars have driven through the puddle as well and are going around me. I was in a major artery in the parking lot so I had to move. I pulled over, slowly, into a parking space where no one was around. Look again, shine a light on it.. turns out it's some sort of shroud or shielding from my car that is still attached at 2 bolt points but is hanging down in such a way that I can't really drive on it. Makes a terrible noise and shakes the car a bit.. vibrates is more accurate.

Here's what I saw: (attachment mgr posted it upside down, sorry)
IMG_1779.jpg

So, I hit the OnStar button and requested a tow. After a wait (it was a weekend so it took over an hour), the truck came and dragged the car onto the flatbed (I couldn't convince the driver that the Volt had no tow eye in the front under the cover, he took it off to look anyway) and took me and my Volt to the dealership.

IMG_1782.jpg

It was now about 10pm and I dropped the keys in the night key drop and got a ride home from a friend. Next morning before I could even get to leave for work, they called and said my car was ready to pickup! This was at about 8:30am. Even for such a small job, I consider this stellar. When I signed the paperwork, they hadn't charged me anything and had done a full car inspection, pumped up my tires and washed the car. (I should note I have 44k on the odo and am out of warranty!)

Couple of days later I received a call from a Volt Advisor who just asked some questions about the whole thing, I sent him these same pictures and he thanked me.

Yesterday we got a large UPS delivery at the house and neither my wife or I could remember ordering anything. I opened it up and the first thing I saw was a Volt hat. I first thought that she'd ordered me some Volt stuff for Christmas and forgot, but nope, dug further and found the note and the rest of the goodies. Thanks to the Volt advisor team and Capitol Chevrolet in Salem OR, and to BC Towing also! Made for a pretty great experience even though it was a time suck. I did eat my portion of the wings though while I was waiting for the tow truck, so dinner was good at least! ;)

IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1824.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
Crap man.... I never got one of those care packages... Talk about COOL!!

Glad it all worked out for you for the car. And the care package.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Most important thing - were the wings good? If the wife got some pregnancy food and was happy, the trip was worth it.

I do like some of the BWW choices. Just don't get there enough. And I was born in Buffalo too! Short walking distance to The Anchor Bar (home of the original wing).

BWW does not compare at all to the Anchor Bar or other Buffalo wing establishments, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's not clear to me is what caused the failure. Did you hit something under the water that wasn't visible or did the water somehow cause the damage? Or was it just a coincidence?

Either way, great job taking pictures -- and getting the free swag from Chevy

·
Administrator
20,890 Posts
Please drive there when the puddle is gone and take a pic. It would be interesting to see the concrete parking barrier or elevated sewer cover that created this mess.

Your dealer sounds like one of the exceptional ones. Given they did you a huge favor, naming them here as an outstanding dealer would be a good thing. We name the bad ones, we should name the good/great ones too.

Note to self: drive through large bodies of standing water with who knows what lurking beneath, rip up my car, get rewarded with free service and Volt goodies. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be posting images of the area without water. Although it might look deep, it was no more than 3-4 inches at the deepest part. I don't think I "hit" anything, rather the force of the water ripped it off - hydraulics!

I've had a few dealings with Capitol Chevrolet, where I purchased, and their service dept has always been very prompt, fair and honest with me. Totally turned around my opinion of dealers.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Interestingly enough, my Volt has the same problem. Don't really know how it happened, I just noticed it hanging down as I was approaching the Volt from behind while parked at an elevated lot a few months ago. When I got home I just bent it back up and folded the tin a bit to help keep it in place. I think its some kind of heat shield.

·
Administrator
20,890 Posts
Wait, you can get swag for wrecking your car? Sign me up!
I know, right? I have sold two Volts. Nadda. Zip, Zilch. Obviously I'm doing it wrong. I need to wreck two Volts, lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should NEVER drive through water, it is ALWAYS a really bad idea with any vehicle for a number of reasons. Beside the obvious issues of possibly getting wet, you cannot see what is in or below the water. Are you driving into a massive sinkhole? Car parts such as warm bearings are destroyed by sudden exposure to cold water, likewise with suspension and brake parts. While issues may not happen immediately, you may see a few thousand in repairs much earlier than needed. Electronic parts and wiring can short out and damage some very expensive components. This doesn't apply to just the Volt, but any vehicle. My advice would be to avoid water if at all possible or if it is only a few inches deep go very slowly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, I've been following your thread and Facebook post. Sorry. I think our experiences were a little different, mine just bent the shield down and was a super easy fix and yours was hit with force upwards by something. I know all the damage seems superficial, but that dealer is playing it by the book, the most cautious that they possibly can (if GM has any input on it I do not know). Reason? Possibly they just want to get as much work out of it/you as possible.. OR maybe they have a very hard line from GM in that if ANYTHING happens to the battery sled/pack etc.. then it gets replaced as a precaution. GM does NOT want a battery fire etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts