GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is mainly a query for UK Volt owners but of course to anyone who can help please :)

I'm looking at getting a home charger in preparation for my 2014 Volt, which is on order. But can't find any specification requirements for the onboard charger?

In the UK we have two available home charger units, standard is 3kW or upgraded at 7kW. The 3kW unit would take 7-8 hours to charge whereas the 7kW halves it at about 4 hours.

So my question is:
Is the Volt compatible with a 7kW charger because the US GM Voltec charger is only rated to 3.3kW but still charges in 4 hours?

Hope someone can help?!

Thanks in advance.

SB13

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The Volt has a 3.3kW charger and it takes ~3.5 hours to fully charge depleted battery. The 3kW is a bit short so charging will take ~4 hours. the 7kW is a little future proof for a potential 6.6kW charger.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm curious why you believe a 3 KW charger would take 7-8 hours. The battery is the same no matter what country you live in and 3.3KW charging gets mine fully recharged in just under 4 hours. If you were limited to 3.0 KW, you should expect about 4.3 hours for a full recharge.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Charging options in the UK are 230V at 10A (or less if you really want) from a standard mains socket, or a dedicated 16A or 32A charger. (UK voltage is a nominal 230V but usually about 240V in practice.)

The Volt will take the same time to charge from either 16A or 32A chargers, so the only reason to pay extra for the higher power unit is if you want to sometimes charge something else that can benefit, or if you want to future proof yourself. Most installations are currently free for the 16A model and about £75 for the 32A one, so it isn't a lot of money for future-proofing, but with a UK Volt or Ampera you won't seen any difference between the two charger options.

FWIW, I'm still using an ordinary mains socket to charge. My Volt lives overnight in a detached garage so it would cost about £600 to lay a new cable for a dedicated charger. To save a couple of hours from each overnight charge that hardly seems worth it. I am still considering whether to put a free charging unit on the wall of the house: I would probably hardly ever use it but it would be useful on those occasions where I want to charge and don't want the hassle of putting the car in the garage.

P.S. If you're UK based do come and visit the Google+ community I run, the link should be in my sig.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for there help!

But many thanks to Duncan, you've provided some info that makes allot of sense.
But I don't understand why the supplier I'm using has told me I will need the upgraded charger?! I assume to make money? Lol. If it helps I'm using ChargeMaster.

Thanks again.

SB13

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Your supplier has a vested interest in selling the more expensive unit. It will work, but what's the point? Your Volt/Ampera cannot charge at anything above 3.3 KW. This equates to about 13.75 amps at 240v. Let's just round it up to say 14 amps. Any charging station that has capacity above 14 amps is simply excess capacity. It will do you no good whatsoever. A charging station with 10 amp capacity will slow the charge down just a bit so you can expect a full battery in about 5.5 hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts