GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone taken their car in for an Oil Service yet?
I will have had my car for a year next week, and have 20K miles on it about half of that gas miles, and I'm wondering when do I take the car in to be serviced. the Oil gauge says 40% do I wait until its at 0%, or 25% it just seems like a long way to go before its first scheduled maintenance.
I asked my volt adviser a couple months ago, and they said the car would tell me, but I haven't seen anything to say it needs service.

·
Registered
174 Posts
typically, GM cars do not remind you until < 10%. I would expect the same here. I have owned several GM vehicles, and I typically change at 15%. In my Malibu and Suburban, the oil did not appear to be too "dirty". I guess that may have some to do with the type of oil too. I always use Mobile1 Synthetic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Chevrolet Volt Owner Manual: 10-16 Vehicle Care

When the system has calculated
that oil life has been diminished,
it indicates that an oil change is
necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE
OIL SOON message comes on.
Change the oil as soon as possible
within the next 1 000 km (600 mi).
It is possible that, if driving under
the best conditions, the oil life
system might indicate that an oil
change is not necessary for up
to two years.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For us old-skoolers, 2 years is scary, 20000 miles is scary.

But the thing that matters with this car is engine hours. And only the computer knows here.

Big equipment fleets often run oil samples, and will change the oil on diesel equipment when the samples says, not when the hour meter says. That makes sense when your engine uses gallons of sythetic HD oil.

The only thing I'm a bit worried about here is any buildup of water / condensation in the oil with cold weather cycling of the engine. But, I'm betting GM knows what to do to avoid warranty claims, and the oil will heat enough to boil off the water.

It would be cool if they'd give us an old-style Hobbs meter engine hour display on the info screen. Maybe useless, but cool.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'd wait until the sensor said to change. You might want to take the suggestion of changing it at 15% but I wouldn't do it any sooner than that. My last ICE car only needed the oil changed every 13K-15K or so. Keep in mind that not all ICE miles involve the engine. Some or even many of those miles may actually be EV miles (once you go into CS Mode all miles are booked as ICE miles even if you're using the battery for 100% of propulsion) and some or many of the miles may not have stressed the engine at all.

IOW don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have had my Volt just over a year and have 11,900 miles on it. 1300 miles were in ICE mode. That is only about 11% of the mileage on the car. The gas engine is hardly even broken in yet!

The ICE miles were about 97% on three road trips. So the two year oil change will be fine on the car. (maximum time the algorithm allows)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I plan to change mine at around 50% because of what's happened on two other late model GM cars I've owned recently.
The idea is to go ahead and let breakin occur on the original oil, and any little metal bits be done getting into the oil filter first.
Get that out of the way, then let the subsequent oil changes run longer since you're done with odd bits collecting in the oil during breakin.

What happened on both my 2010 Camaro SS and my 2012 Cruze, at about 5k miles on those, when I put in good grade synthetic is that they suddenly both performed a LOT better and got better gas mileage. It seemed to be a larger effect than could be accounted for by just replacing the somewhat thicker break-in lube; assuming GM even does that, but we old racers always put some junk on the cam lobes and bearings like grease or STP for initial breakin after a build. You wanted all that stuff lubed for certain until an initially dry oil pump could pick up the slack. You'd then change the oil to get the viscosity back down where it should be.

In this case, it was more like hitting the reset button somehow told the computer "OK, the guy knows how to drive the car now, and we're broken in, so instead of being in dumb-safe mode, go ahead and let him have all we can". It was fairly dramatic as in the difference between never and sometimes accidentally squealing the tires on the Cruze. The Camaro was more dramatic, but that's still a change from "this is a real beast" to "this is a real beast".

FWIW - that's an observation I made and so did my SO passenger. It was fairly obvious. How that would make a difference in the Volt is hard to say, but it should at least get better gas mileage afterwards. As a side observation, feeling the oil on the dipstick on the two conventional cars told me it was thicker than 5w when I got them and it's not as obvious on the Volt.

I'd say wait for the oil to get decently "brown" which took a lot longer than expected on the conventional cars - for the first few K miles, you could barely even see it on the stick.

Edit: I'm an old-schooler like Bzzzt here - and I agree that there are some other considerations like water buildup in the oil system. This is one reason I get exercised about the people so fanatic to never have the ICE run - because running isn't the only thing that can put water in - condensation happens - but it IS The only thing that'll get it out.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The computer doesn't check the oil... it check stats and GUESSES how bad the oil is... IT HASN'T A CLUE.

DC Fusor I think makes the best point: change it when it get brown, and/or after the break in is complete. I guarantee you it's time to change the oil by now! Do you live in a dusty area, have you driven the volt up a lot of steep grades, enough to get the engine hotter than normal? Etc.... Switch to synthetic... do it soon!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Uh oh... without the desire to push this into the realm of "OIL THREAD", GM is specing some new special oil.

dexos1 - which is I guess, a spec they devised. Troll the internet for it, and read all about it.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2010/09/the-new-gm-dexos-engine-oil-specification.html

I'm sure we're already prefilled with a synthetic, if they're looking for it to last 2 years.

Mine won't last that long, just cause I'll go all anal about it before then. I've had enough experience about breaking in engines, even though I'm sure GM is a little bit better with their machine work than I am on Briggs 5hp flatheads used in go-kart racing.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Anybody besides me find ironic that the gas engine warranty is 5 yrs/50k miles and the battery is 8 yrs/100k miles? If you consider the design concept of how the vehicle should operate, the gas engine warranty should be more like 3 or 4 times the battery system. Particularly when you take into consideration the engine warranty some other manufacturers offer (read Hyundai).

VIN # B0985

3,605 Posts
@ rphooper,

Your advisor is correct. It is best to go by the Oil Life Indicator. It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might indicate that an oil change is not necessary for up to two years.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
@ rhooper,

Your advisor is correct. It is best to go by the Oil Life Indicator. It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might indicate that an oil change is not necessary for up to two years.
I suspect both of ours will go the 2 years no sweat. The wife's is coming up on a year here real quick and has 4500 miles on it with 65% oil life left.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The math doesn't work

I have 7300 miles on the car, 14.2 gallons of gasoline burned (so rarely use the ICE). The car was delivered to the dealer one year ago.
However the Remaining Oil life is 72%.
If the calculation is linear, that would mean that I have 4 Years of service life on the oil, with my low percentage of ICE usage.
So either the calculation is non-linear or the two year maximun is not accurate.

Any one have a November 2011, with low ICE other than Jay Leno, who can report seeing the service oil now message?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Changing the oil only once during the lease period still blows my mind!

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts