GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 370 miles on my 2013 volt.

Till now I have only used 0.5 GA of gas as shown in my stats from the display.

Oil life is already dropped to 98%

I am just worried about the depletion rate of the oil.

At this rate, I would be needing oil change around few hundred miles on gas.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Most of the comments on the oil change prognostication indicate years before the oil should be changed. GM's system does not have an oil sensor per se. It senses engine operating conditions such as temperature, cycles, length of burn, and so on. That was probably the first enigne burn for a while and the algorithm made up for the time the vehicle was in transit, sitting on the lot, etc.

Most folks with thousands of miles still have the majority of their oil life left. I have about 3000 miles of ICE use and my oil life remaining is over 70%. In your case you have 370 miles for 2% of your oil life. Sounds like you have 18,000 miles to go to see an oil change.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Volt oil life is calculated by a combination of time, and ICE miles driven.

It will go to 0% in about two years, even if you have 0 ICE miles.

Drive a big enough percentage of ICE miles, and it will speed up the change oil recommendation.

The algorithm it uses may have been changed for 2013 models, not sure of that.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yes you are in trouble. You will need to change the oil in about 23 months. The most difficult part will be convincing every one you speak to that is connected to the auto service industry, that you are not committing a fatal mistake by not changing the oil every 7000 miles!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I changed the first time at 4000 ice miles and 78% I have about 9000 more ICE miles and still shows 48%

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Chill dude. In 20 months I'm at approximately at 6,000 ICE miles and oil life seems stuck at 49%. Keep in mind that the GM engineers have this pretty well figured out, and your Volt is being bathed in synthetic oil which has much longer life than crappy petro juice.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm at 5000 miles and 89%. Going to change soon just to get break in oil out of system then I will follow the percent gauge. Remember your gas engine doesnt always run on those miles.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Mine is strange. 55% when I bought it (93 miles) and 55% now after 1500+ gas miles. May as well change it and reset it since it's a 2011 model going on 1.5 years old soon.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You will need to change the oil in about 23 months. The most difficult part will be convincing every one you speak to that is connected to the auto service industry, that you are not committing a fatal mistake by not changing the oil every 7000 miles!
+1. That is the absolute truth!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Mine is coming up on a year with 6000+ miles, 65% oil life left.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I removed the oil to save weight.

·
Registered
456 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts