GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just seen an advertisement on CBC news by Petro Canada (started as a government owned oil company now owned by Suncor) that they have installed enough chargers across Canada (presumably the Trans Canada Highway) that you can drive coast to coast in an EV. No details like how or if they count the chargers by BC Hydro (or the other two companies doing it in BC). An easier job in Canada than the US because 95% live close to the US border (or in arable land which for the most part is not in the north). Just thought it interesting that an oil company is promoting EVs.

The ad didn't show EVs charging at a station however but a truck at night, complete with accompanying flashing light vehicles, painting a lightning bolt periodically on the highway. What's up with that? Never seen that before.

Found the YouTube link, (everything on YouTube?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WooTmQlsRRg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Their website map still shows many of the stations as "planned," but that could be out of date. This makes EV travel in the prairies a bit more palatable, though not a solution for Saskatoon to Edmonton (both hours north of the Trans Canada).

Still, a Model 3/Bolt/whatever should be able to drive Saskatoon to Calgary, which would be tough to do with no DCFC.

It's fun that they are currently free to charge.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their website map still shows many of the stations as "planned," but that could be out of date. This makes EV travel in the prairies a bit more palatable, though not a solution for Saskatoon to Edmonton (both hours north of the Trans Canada).

Still, a Model 3/Bolt/whatever should be able to drive Saskatoon to Calgary, which would be tough to do with no DCFC.

It's fun that they are currently free to charge.
Yes the Yellowhead highway would be an important 2nd tier road to get electrified. If you look at a population map of Canada the Edmonton/Saskatoon route is steadily populated as it follows the arable land corridor. Took that route in 2006 when my sister (lives in Edmonton) and I drove my Dad out to old farm in Manitoba (long time family friends live in Saskatoon). The website may not be up to date as the ad just started yesterday. .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts