GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
It's 2 years or when the oil life monitor tells you to change it. Which ever comes first. Which for many Volt owners will likely be 2 years.
Yup, I have 658 miles on my ICE and the OLM reads 95% remaining. I suspect I'll have less than 2000 miles on my ICE after two years of ownership and that's when I'll change it. GM knows what they are doing. I always followed the OLM in every Corvette I ever owned so why ignore it now?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just did a "break-in" change on mine, with 750 ICE miles. Seemed like a good idea, so.. Went with Amsoil 0w-30 extended life stuff, might as well spend the extra for the best, it will be in there for a very long time..

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I tend to do that first change on the early side of things, and then revert to a more reasonable schedule. My reasoning is that you want to break in the engine, get all those little metal bits and the extra thick breakin lube out of there at the right time - which is going to be different the first time than all the rest of the life of the engine.

This has worked out very well in all my previous new cars, and you really notice a performance/mileage improvement when you do it. I'm having some trouble getting enough ICE miles here to get to my magic mark to get it changed, though, even at over a year ownership. I'd like to see in the region of 100 gal of gas through this ICE to do that first change (as well as a certain color and feel of the oil on the dipstick), but...only to the low 50's now. But I'd also like the thinner lube in winter, so I'm on the edge of doing it anyway.

After that, since I'll be using a very high quality lube like Rons2013 - I'll probably stick a lot closer to the GM schedule.

Edit - with only the little short runs my ICE normally gets - even if I take the long way to make it run some, I'm seeing a heck of a lot less than the 40 mpg many report here. I guess I'll have to take a road trip for the heck of it to see those good numbers, then do the change. I'd bet they improve after that.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are Amsoil and Rons Dexos 1 certified? According to GM and the owners manual, they stress using Dexos 1 certified oil. Mobile one 5w-30 is Dexos 1, but I haven't found many others.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Mobile 1 is what I plan to use. Has anyone tried to get a Volt's oil changed at the local equivalent of a Jiffy lube? Do "normal" mechanics know how to do it? You'd think they would - it's just a Cruze engine with different tuning (but in a tighter bay), but I wonder, and I avoid "stealerships" anytime I can manage it.

Guess I should just go look for myself. No one didn't change their own oil as I was growing up, so tradition may win out, though with no receipt (except for the bought oil and filter, which could have gone into any similar car instead), that's maybe a warranty issue?
Somehow I see this engine, detuned as it is compared to the Cruze, as lasting nearly forever anyway. I just want peak efficiency out of it.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Are Amsoil and Rons Dexos 1 certified? According to GM and the owners manual, they stress using Dexos 1 certified oil. Mobile one 5w-30 is Dexos 1, but I haven't found many others.
The Dexos certification is something of a gimmick. Most automotive oil companies don't want to pay for the licensing fee, which is apparently quite expensive. The only reason Mobile 1 purchased the certification is because they needed to keep their contracts with OEMs, who put Mobil 1 into new vehicles.

·
Registered
216 Posts
According to the Amsoil site: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/azo.aspx the stuff is "suitable as a replacement for GM Dexos 1" and supercedes all of the relevant specs. In any case it's one of the best products out there - I've trusted (and been Very happy) it with motors a Lot higher stressed than the ICE in a Volt.

You also want to watch the %'s of anti-oxidizers, corrosion inhibitors, pour point depressants (viscosity modifiers) and etc. for oils that aren't going to get a lot of use, that are going to be in the crankcase for a long time. If you Really want "too much information" about lubricants then I'd recommend this site as "light" reading: http://motoroilbible.com/html-doc/

Doing an oil change on the Volt is pretty simple. The filter and drain plug are out in the open and easy to reach. 10mm wrench for the plug, btw. I had to Order (and wait) for a filter from my local NAPA store - it's apparently not a common part number (and probably Won't ever be..). A 4 quart fill was just the right amount, with the fliter change.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had the oil changed in my Volt after about one year of ownership. There was a link to a story about some car magazine having the oil from their Volt analyzed and finding metal particles in the original oil (as is to be expected with a new engine). Figured it couldn't hurt to schedule the first oil change early, and it was free at my Chevy dealer. Later oil changes will have me using the oil life monitor in the Volt.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
According to the Amsoil site: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/azo.aspx the stuff is "suitable as a replacement for GM Dexos 1" and supercedes all of the relevant specs.
Castrol makes the same statement. I see this scam happen a lot in many different businesses. Someone sets up a certification requirement, convinces the end user that it is really necessary, and then charges the provider for the certification. The larger providers don't mind because it limits their competition, and all the while, the middlemen rake in the dough.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If the oil company provides documentation that they will accept responsibility for the engine warranty when GM refuses your engine damage claim then go for it. Otherwise, I would stick with the requirements specified in the GM manuals. Easiest way to meet that requirement is to bite the bullet and have the relatively inexpensive oil changes done by the dealer network. After the warranty period is over, then you can do whatever you like.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am an auto shop owner and a Volt owner and the engine is a basic standard engine. Changing oil will be the easy part. Resetting the oil change monitor will be the project. LOL. I am planning on doing it once a year regardless of monitor life and using Mobil 1 5W30 oil and an AC delco filter. I wouldn't wait for 2 years. Why, I don't know except changing the oil is cheap insurance to me and why wait over ayear. Oil does absorb moisture especially is it isn't worked to a heated up level to burn any moisture up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One more thing. Fully thing is my dealer sent me an email last month saying I need to come in for my 5,000 mile service that would include an oil change. Mind you it was only 5 months since I bought it and What The Heck does the car need at 5,000 miles. I did rotate my tires myself and DID NEED a tire pressure monitor tool to reset the positions. There is NO OTHER WAY TO RESET TPMS. Period.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Dealerships like mine have a robotic mailing list that goes out every X months, I would call the dealer and your Volt advisor to try and have that stopped.

I have only about 55gal thru my motor since I bought it, it might be another year before I hit 100 but I reckon I'll get an oil change around the 2nd anniversary..

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have owned my Volt for 2 years and 1 week and the remaining oil life says 37 percent. It has read 37 percent for the last year or so after the car received a software update when the battery protection service was performed. I was expecting the remaining percent to drop to zero at the 2 year ownership mark but it didn't. Does the fact that the car only has about 1500 miles in CS mode (engine running) have anything to do with the remaining oil life staying at 37 percent?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just did a "break-in" change on mine, with 750 ICE miles. Seemed like a good idea, so.. Went with Amsoil 0w-30 extended life stuff, might as well spend the extra for the best, it will be in there for a very long time..
The manual says that engine break-in was done at the factory as part of the manufacturing process, so no early break-in oil change is necessary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts