GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2013 volt for my wife. I have always done my own oil changes and simple maintenance items. I read in the owners manual the oil need not be changed (depending upon usage) till 24 months. I will change the oil at most 6 months unless I learn somthing new about the oil and engine. Has anyone done their own oil and filter change? Anyone know how the oil can last 24 months?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
If your charge the battery every day and you normally drive less than 40 miles per day the gasoline engine will almost never run.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Unless you roll up several thousand miles a year on the ICE, I'd suggest following GM's recommended interval. If you must do it to make you feel better, by all means change it, but it'll be a waste of resources.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
This may seem obvious but... Did you know the car has an Oil life monitor display? It shows you how much oil life is remaining in percent. The car will also email you a monthly report on it's status which includes the oil life remaining. You can also monitor your oil life on the "MyVolt" web site or the iPhone app.

It really depends on how much you use the engine. Many people go for months without ever starting the engine. I suspect the oil would last a very long time. If you run your engine every day... It may need changing more frequently. I think the average driver who runs in EV mode 70% of the time can probably go at least a year between oil changes. (If not two.) Just depends on the amount of ICE driving you do.

You also might want to sign up for VoltStats to monitor & rank your driving habits. See: http://www.voltstats.net

·
Registered
235 Posts
gas engine don't even run when propeled on electric. less wear and tear on gas engine. my volt has 18k miles on dealer oil change at 2k and i still have 60% oil life left. gm has been using oil life monitors since the 90 corvette and are dead nuts accurate. doing an oil change at less than what the olm tells you is false economy (you might as well throw your money down the drain). all i've done to my volt is rotate tires, hose it down when it gets too dirty, rain x the front and rear windows, and fill the little washer bottle up. lower maintenance is a little talked about side benefit to volt ownership. maybe you could buy better car wax and more rain x.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on your new car. Oil changes every couple of years is a great benefit of owning a Volt. Why deny yourself? As Fulgerite mentions, your monitor will tell you when you need to change the oil. Until then enjoy your extra free time!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If your charge the battery every day and you normally drive less than 40 miles per day the gasoline engine will almost never run.
Correct. And the car itself will keep track of oil life and tell you when it needs to be changed. After 3 weeks of driving and 817 total miles with 182 of those miles on gas, I've got 97% of my oil life remaining.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil has a shelf life of 5yrs (according to Mobile 1) in the sealed container. Now put it in an engine drive through snow, salt, rain, extreme heat, road sand and bugs and I think the life span would be less than 2yrs. Even if the engine is only run once a month. Motor Trend did a long term test and sent their oil to Blackstone to have it analyzed and this is what Motor Trend reported.

Traces of aluminum, copper, and particularly iron, were high. I sent the report on to GM for comment, and they replied that this was "within normal range." Blackstone's Andy Martin retorted, "Well, you can't go wrong following what's recommended, but..." Yes, if I had known this, I'd have changed it earlier, too.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...rolet_volt_verdict/viewall.html#ixzz259IQMC3a

Anyone sent their oil to Blackstone?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just purchased a new 2013 volt for my wife. I have always done my own oil changes and simple maintenance items. I read in the owners manual the oil need not be changed (depending upon usage) till 24 months. I will change the oil at most 6 months unless I learn somthing new about the oil and engine. Has anyone done their own oil and filter change? Anyone know how the oil can last 24 months?
If you are familiar with doing oil changes then I'm sure you are also familiar with checking the dipstick. Check it every 500 gas miles. However, I am sure you'll see that with little (ICE)motor use, you won't see it turn black for a long loooooonnnnnggg time! As for me, I will change it in the middle of the break in period, somewhere around 1500 ICE miles. However, that may take a year to get there.
The brakes are another item that won't see frequent changing. I am wondering if with normal use we will see brakes last 8 years or more before seeing significant wear or "sticking".
I'm excited for our future.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think you should change it every 3k miles dispite what the damn display says. The Oil companies are hurting, and you are denying them sales of their fine product by buying hippy treehuggin electric car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am wondering if with normal use we will see brakes last 8 years or more before seeing significant wear or "sticking".
Here in Chicago the winter road salt will destroy the brakes before they wear out. Being in Hawaii do you see issues with the salt in the air?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had my Chevy dealer change the oil in my Volt after one year of ownership even though the oil life monitor was still in the high 60's. It was free, and I figured an early first oil change on a new engine couldn't hurt. My next oil change will be when the oil life monitor tells me.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Defintely a big money saver. Instead of every 5,000 miles, it's 25,000 BIG savings

I spend $70 per change - Mobil 1 plus filter plus labor

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You'll need to have proof that you used the specified Dexos oil, which is a full synthetic and I'm sure it isn't cheap. The filter is also probably a cartridge filter which are also more expensive (haven't done research, so don't know $ amount). The change interval can be much longer for both the oil and filter types specified. The auto manufacturers have been slow to accept synthetic oil as being that much better than dinosaur juice.

Most of the recent vehicles from GM use the Oil Life monitor and they seem to be happy with the performance. I'm willing to agree with them, because I feel they are conservative in using this technology. After all it is their hide when it comes to the engine warranty.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I spend $70 per change - Mobil 1 plus filter plus labor
That is too much! I spend $35 for five quarts of 5W-30 Mobil 1 and a AC PF47 filter for my 1995 Buick Regal. I change the oil and filter once per year (every December) and the 231 CI (3800 CC) V6 engine still runs good, even better than new. The secret is that I do it myself in less than an hour. The only trouble is removing the front right tire to change the filter. But after doing it for 17 years, I can almost do it by touch.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
If you want to change your oil 10x more often than Chevy recommends, go ahead. It's your car.

But why stop there? Every 3,000 miles you might want to change all the hoses, belts, brake pads, tires, the headlights and light bulbs as well. Though unneeded because all have plenty of service life still left, it can't hurt, right?

Seriously, at 2 years I'll have something like 6,000 miles or less on my gas engine as it gets used infrequently.

Basically, Chevy is saying the oil needs to be changed when the car says so or every two years, whichever comes first. I'm going to say they know the car's engine better than I do and trust them on this. But feel free to do it more frequently for the good feeling it will give you. I wash my car every week for the same reason: it makes me feel good.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I, too, would change my engine oil at 50% oil life, FOR THE FIRST oil change of a new engine being break-in.
This should be around march / april 2013.

If you want to make the engine oil and filter change yourself, this is the official procedure:
http://www.autocats.net/manual/chevrolet/tis0911/en/documents_2012/Volt/start_Volt.html

Note that the engine is specified to use synthetic oil, 5W30, with the DEXOS specification.
Don't use cheap oil.

Hope this helps,

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have had my car up on ramps and poked around underneath. I can tell you that the oil filter is extremely easy to get to. I am considering doing my own oil change when the time comes, however like others on the site I am using the oil life monitor to give me an indication of when the right time will be. To save money I bought a used 2011 Viridian Joule Volt with 3300 miles on it. It was used as a demo model for a dealer in Wisconsin. The oil life indicater says I have 82% oil life remaining and in the two months I have owned my car I have only used the Gas engine about 10% of the time, so I have no plans to change oil anytime soon. I foresee that I could likely go 12 to 18 months before needing an oil change.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts