GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a word of caution. I went to the dealership today to get my oil changed -- a big dealership in the Kansas City area -- and they were not able to change my oil because they didn't have the right kind. If I am not mistaken, dealers are supposed to use Dexos for the Volt, but they apparently don't use it for much else? I guess I'm the first Volt owner to try to get my oil changed there.

If you are planning on taking your Volt in for an oil change, I would recommend you talk to their service folks and make sure they have the right kind of oil for the Volt before wasting half your day taking your Volt in to not get the oil changed.

For anyone who is curious, I currently have about 16,000 miles on my Volt, about 10,000 of which were in CS mode. Mostly highway miles. The oil life meter shows about 50% oil life remaining, but since it's the first change and it already has 10K miles on the engine, I felt it would be a good idea to go ahead and get it changed.

·
8,680 Posts
I thought all 2011+ GM cars used Dexos. I wider if the tech made a mistake and thought we needed something special?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had my 2011 Volts oil changed early after a few long trips on gas and the dealer did not appear to have a problem doing it.
May be the dealer had just run out or had toruble with getting a delivery I do not think that oil is exclusive to the Volt.

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would recommend bringing your own oil. At Walmart the only oil that had the Dexos label was the extended life Mobil 1. It's the only oil I would consider using in the Volt since it will last a lot longer in the generator especially with the manual saying you can leave the oil alone for two years. It seems strange to me that you have 10,000 CS miles on your Volt and have 50% oil life left. I would definitely recommend getting some Mobil 1 and changing your oil. Another indicator is the color of the oil on the dipstick. It starts out so clear you can hardly see it. When it gets black on the dipstick it should be changed--there are a lot of impurities in oil that is black.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Dexos is the biggest scam in automotive oil right now. Most major oil makers' oil meets or exceeds Dexos standards, but the reason they aren't "Dexos certified" is because they don't want to pay for the certification. The only reason Mobil 1 paid for the certification is because their oil is used in a lot of OEM applications, and the manufacturers have bought into this Dexos crap.

When I'm satisfied that my ICE is broken in, I'll be changing my own oil. And I will not be wasting my 0W-30 synthetic, high-performance motor oil. The manufacturer has even stated in writing that they guarantee that their oil meets or exceeds Dexos standards and that, if a manufacturer denies warranty work based on a lack of Dexos certified oil, THEY will pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I had my 2011 Volts oil changed early after a few long trips on gas and the dealer did not appear to have a problem doing it.
May be the dealer had just run out or had toruble with getting a delivery I do not think that oil is exclusive to the Volt.
Correct on the fact that it is not exclusive to the Volt. A friend has a Buick and it requires Dexos as well. That being said I would not be surprised to learn that the Chevy dealer would use what ever oil comes out of the bulk dispenser. There is more than a few Volts that had their fuel tanks topped off with regular gas rather than the specified premium because that is what the dealer has in their storage tanks. After all these are Chevy dealers.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Any Dexos oil will work.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
If Mobil 1 synthetic oil is "Dexos certified" then I am way ahead of most of you. I am using Mobil 1 synthetic in all of my American vehicles (GM and Ford) since 1981 (the oil cans were 100% polished steel). And all of my vehicles have lasted a minimum of 16 years in my care (my 1984 Olds Ciera lasted 26 years). My present 1995 Buick Regal has 17 years. I recommend it for every American vehicle, including the Volt.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ha ha... an oil thread. An oil thread is a bannable offense in many motorcycle boards.

Heck, maybe I'll just use Rotella. Its good enough for a turbo charged Cat diesel.

If you want to know what a scam is, try to figure out what MB approved oil to use in a T1N 5 cylinder Sprinter Van.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
If Mobil 1 synthetic oil is "Dexos certified" then I am way ahead of most of you. I am using Mobil 1 synthetic in all of my American vehicles (GM and Ford) since 1981 (the oil cans were 100% polished steel). And all of my vehicles have lasted a minimum of 16 years in my care (my 1984 Olds Ciera lasted 26 years). My present 1995 Buick Regal has 17 years. I recommend it for every American vehicle, including the Volt.
Mobile 1 didn't have to change their formula in order to become Dexos certified; they simply had to pay for the Dexos certification. So, now, their oil is Dexos certified.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I use NOTHING but Mobil 1, even in my lawn mower and snow blower, and considering all my VETTE's have come from the factory filled with Mobil 1 and I tracked them w/o any issues

If Mobil 1 can go from the factory to the track in my Vette's I'm sure my Volt will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ha ha... an oil thread. An oil thread is a bannable offense in many motorcycle boards.

Heck, maybe I'll just use Rotella. Its good enough for a turbo charged Cat diesel.

If you want to know what a scam is, try to figure out what MB approved oil to use in a T1N 5 cylinder Sprinter Van.
Let's hope that oil threads are far and few between on gm-volt. They really can get into a bluster festival.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts