GM Volt Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This oil looked like that "Good Seasons salad dressing" that you used to make with oil, water and vinegar.

QR
I wonder how many people are going to check their oil because of your post. I know I am.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Getting close to my first oil change on a 2013. Purchased with 30K, had been mostly used on electric (lifetime mpg 185). May just take it to the dealer. Biggest concern is the drain period - I have always changed my own oil on other cars and I would let it drain overnight, then blow air into the fill port and get another tablespoon of the dirtiest oil out. The 30 - 60 second drain at oil change outfits is not sufficient, IMO.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Getting close to my first oil change on a 2013. Purchased with 30K, had been mostly used on electric (lifetime mpg 185). May just take it to the dealer. Biggest concern is the drain period - I have always changed my own oil on other cars and I would let it drain overnight, then blow air into the fill port and get another tablespoon of the dirtiest oil out. The 30 - 60 second drain at oil change outfits is not sufficient, IMO.
I would never go to one of those quick oil change stores. Too many bad reports.
Not that I would try this, but the Volt is probably the only car made that you could drain the oil at home then drive it to the dealer for the replacement oil. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just replace my oil yesterday (bought the car from dealer who changed the oil and pretty sure it wasn't the correct type). Found that Walmart synthetic oil now Dexos approved so used that and factory filter. Pretty easy change - almost as easy as my Subaru.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just called my dealer to schedule the 7,500 mile service visit. They are recommending that I pay to have oil additives put in the car, to help the life of the oil. The guy was hard to hear over the phone, but I asked him about the oil-life meter in the Volt only being at 75%, and the 2-year change interval, and he said that is precisely why the additives are needed for that long of a time. He stressed it heavily. Cost is $39.99.

Not sure what to say to that. These guys have a good reputation for Volt service, and he was saying this is needed specifically for the Volt hybrid system.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Oil additives are not needed in your Volt's engine. Using high quality synthetic motor oil like Mobil One, or other high quality brands, is all you need. Anyone telling you differently should not be working on your Volt.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dexos 1 is not a scam per se, as it insures that oil with the certification meets certain criteria. It does however cost an oil manufacturer about $100,000 for the certification. Amsoil certifies that their Signature Series oils exceed Dexos 1 requirements and provide test results to prove it.
Darkening of oil during use is not an indicator of suitability for service. Oil analysis is the best way to determine an oil's condition. I've had rather dark oil analyzed and it comes back "suitable for continued service"
There are numerous documented testimonials of large over-the-road trucks, using bypass filtration systems, who have run synthetic diesel oil 500,000 miles between changes. A fairly recent one was published in one of my Amsoil monthly newsletters. The engine was torn down for inspection at 500,000 miles, and no internal parts were found to exceed normal wear limits. Routine oil analysis was used to monitor oil condition. I think you can trust the Volt's oil life monitor!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oil should look like oil not salad dressing oil. Usually a white-ish color indicates water in the oil.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Changing oil in my wife's Miata was a pain and I had to jack it up. I was dreading changing oil in the Volt, but it was much easier. The air dam is low, but the engine itself not so much. My driveway has a slight slope so I put the back wheels on the driveway and the front wheels 3 feet inside the garage. I put two 2x6s behind the front wheel and backed the front wheels on them. The air dam was low but just pushes out of the way. The plug and filter are fairly close to the front of the car on the passenger side. I would say this was as simple an oil change as I have done on all my other cars.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hello
Just wondering if anyone takes their Gen 1 Volt to a quick lube? My Chevy dealer is so backlogged it's ridiculous.
I've seen and heard too many horror stories about those places, so if I can't get the oil change done at the dealer, I do it myself. If you do go to one, make sure they have the correct oil filter first, it only fits the Gen 1 Volt and the ELR in the USA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,
I'm about my first engine oil change and looking for oil & oil filter to choose. locally available are mobil 1, valvoline, Rektol, liqui-moly. I like liqui-moly and used it during my races. its very interesting to do some pool with list of oils nad oil filters and see who used Mobile, ACDelco and witch filter they have used.
for oil filters, i;m about to buy on Rockauto.com maybe someone wants to share their XP about list form rockauto?

I also found this webpage dexos® is this something that I need to compare what kind of oil i will buy in the list?

101 - 118 of 118 Posts