GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did ask "How will I know when to change the oil?", when I bought my 2011 Volt. They told me "the care will tell you when you get to a low oil life message".
Yes, it will. As the first item in the FAQ points out, "The oil should be changed when the Volt's oil life indicator displays "Change Engine Oil Soon" (10% remaining life)—or 2 years—whichever comes first."

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is really informative! Thanks! +10
The subject kept coming up seemingly with every new crop of buyers! Having a group of knowledgeable members here at gm-volt certainly makes compiling an FAQ like this easier to do. The credit goes to them!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great info thanks for taking the time to post it . Change my oil for the first time on my 2011 at 32607 mile it had 19% life left. I should be good for another 2 years.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
On the other hand,, if you really want to be nice to that little ICE, change it early.
This engine sometimes comes on for just a few minutes at a time and rarely gets the oil up to a decent temperature.
Dang ERDTT...

I changed mine at 2500 gas miles. Looking into that drain pan in the sunlight, I saw a nasty brew of sparkles and pearlescence.
I wish I had an oil analysis kit ready to have accurate data to prove this.

Some say it's old school thinking. I say it's common sense to give a brand new ICE an early oil change.
But only if you are in it for the long haul and want to Be Nice to the ICE.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try getting GM to cover a measly filter and oil that should have been done in November for a New 2012 I just bought! with 1500 gas miles, ;!! today my Advisor told me it should have been done back then! I told her I just bought the car a month ago and therefore if anything, ever goes wrong with my engine as a result of lubrication "that I will hold GM responsible"..

Heck, I can do a better synthetic change than a dealer anyway; it's just the point of it! (funny Royal Purple doesn't recommend theirs for new engines), {anyone using Amsoil}?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't know about the Volt, but my other Chevy's oil life indicator is a multifaceted thing. There was nothing wrong with the engine of my Avalanche after 10 years of following it's guidance (now there were other things falling apart on the car not apparently lubrication related...at least not lubricated with engine oil).

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
dexos1® is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M
•Improved viscometric properties, creating less friction in the engine, which contributes to improved fuel economy.
•Resists aeration, which enables fuel-saving devices, such as Variable Valve Timing, to work optimally.
•Offers improved protection against oxidation and deposits, allowing emission control systems to operate better.
•Resists degradation between oil changes, extending the time and mileage interval between oil changes

dexos2™ is designed for use with light-duty diesel engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025
•Protects diesel engines from harmful soot deposits.
•Designed with limits on certain chemical components to prolong catalyst life and protect expensive emission reduction systems.
•Resists degradation between oil changes and maintains optimum performance longer

So the dexos2 diesel oil formulations have different detergent and additive packages so the oils are clearly not identical even if the viscosity/weight is
I have seen no documentation to support that dexos2 is interchangeable with dexos1

WOT

·
Registered
692 Posts
I asked the dealer again and he copy-pasted me documentation, that they have, for replacing oil in the Ampera and it's Dexos2:

• Kakovost
Dexos II

• Polnjenje - z novim oljnim filtrom
3,5 l
3,7 kvarta

• Viskoznost
5W30 GF-4
He also said it's ok to bring my own GM Dexos2 oil, as at the dealer, one liter costs 18 EUR, if I purchase 5 litres of the same oil from the auto store, it costs 5 litres 25 EUR.
That's 55 EUR saved.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I asked the dealer again and he copy-pasted me documentation, that they have, for replacing oil in the Ampera and it's Dexos2:

He also said it's ok to bring my own GM Dexos2 oil, as at the dealer, one liter costs 18 EUR, if I purchase 5 litres of the same oil from the auto store, it costs 5 litres 25 EUR.
That's 55 EUR saved.
Dealers say and claim all sorts of things, Andy. What does YOUR documentation (the Owners Manual) say? Mine says: "Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specification of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended." My Volt has the same engine as yours. Does your owners manual recommend dextos2?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I believe Dexos1 is not even available in Europe. I've searched for it and haven't found any.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I believe Dexos1 is not even available in Europe. I've searched for it and haven't found any.
Maybe these lists of GM Dexose1 licensed oils will help:

EcoPower 5W-30, Safety-Kleen
Mobil Super 3000 Formula D1 ExxonMobil
Titan Supersyn D1 SAE 5W-30 Fuchs
GE Platinum 5W30 Bangchak Petroleum Public Company Limited
Prista Ultra G 5W-30 Prista

See http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article002454163.cfm?x=bm9sNP6,b563qsss,w

Another list of Dexos1 Licensed Brands updated as of June 1, 2012.
BP Visco 5000 DX 5W-30 BP Plc. dexos1 5W-30 Global
Castrol Edge Professional DX 5W-30 Castrol Ltd. dexos1 5W-30 Global
Castrol GTX Professional DX 5W-30 Castrol Ltd. dexos1 5W-30 Global
Castrol Magnatec Professional DX 5W-30 Castrol Ltd. dexos1 5W-30 Global
TITAN Supersyn D1 SAE 5W-30 Fuchs dexos1 5W-30 Global
Idemitsu dexos1™ 0W-20 Idemitsu dexos1 0W-20 Global
Idemitsu dexos1™ 0W-30 Idemitsu dexos1 0W-30 Global
Lukoil Genesis FE 5W-20 LukOil dexos1 5W-20 Global
Lukoil Genesis FE 5W-30 LukOil dexos1 5W-30 Global
Mobil 1 5W-30 ExxonMobil dexos1 5W-30 Global
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 ExxonMobil dexos1 5W-30 Global
Mobil Super 3000 Formula D1 ExxonMobil dexos1 5W-30 Global
Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-30 ExxonMobil dexos1 5W-30 Global
MOL Dynamic Synt D 5W30 MOL-Lub GmbH dexos1 5W-30 Europe
Pecas Genuinas GM dexos1 General Motors Brazil dexos1 5W-30 Global
Pennzoil 5W-30 Synthetic
Blend Motor Oil Shell Oil Products Co. dexos1 5W-30 Global
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full
Synthetic Motor Oil Shell Oil Products Co. dexos1 5W-30 Global
Prista Ultra G 5W-30 Prista dexos1 5W-30 Europe
Quaker State Synthetic Blend Shell Oil Products Co. dexos1 5W-30 Global
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Full Synthetic Shell Oil Products Co. dexos1 5W-30 Global
Quartz 9000 Future FGC 5W-30 TOTAL Lubrifiants dexos1 5W-30 Global
RAVENOL DXG Ravensberger Schmierstoff dexos1 5W-30 Europe
SGM Fullysyn 5W-30 Shanghai General Motors dexos1 5W-30 Global
SuperS dexos1 Smittys dexos1 5W-30 Global
SureGuard dexos1 Smittys dexos1 5W-30 Global
ZIC dexos1 SK Energy dexos1 5W-30 Global

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos1licensedbrands.html
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2836273

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'm sure you're right, but as mentioned, it is easier for warranty purposes to use the OEM. The engine has a turbo on it that spins at a very high rpm which the Prius doesn't have. Our 2010 has 94k on it and I changed it for the 7th time last week with 0-20w Amsoil.
I was not aware the Volt 1.4 engine had a turbo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Curiosity got the better of me, so I downloaded The Ampera MY12 Manual

Page 178: dexos 2 for most of Europe. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it, since dexos2 is prescribed for Diesels here.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Curiosity got the better of me, so I downloaded The Ampera MY12 Manual

Page 178: dexos 2 for most of Europe..
That was my question (above) to AndY1, "Does your owners manual recommend dextos2? " Thanks for answering that question for him, Jim! I have added that info as a note to the FAQ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Steverino.

I would think one FAQ might be "Can Jiffy Lube (or similar 30 minute oil change shop) handle changing the oil/filter."

I would guess this has been addressed in another thread, but you may want to add it to your FAQ.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts