GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Car + Black Leather Seats + Virginia heat and humidity = time for some damn tinting!
OHM-RIDE goes in on Wednesday for some nice dark ceramic tinting and I can hardly wait!

Already made a cardboard cover for the window switches so I don't accidentally roll them down before the tint is "cured".

Pictures Pending once the deed is done

·
Registered
417 Posts
Black Car + Black Leather Seats + Virginia heat and humidity = time for some damn tinting!
OHM-RIDE goes in on Wednesday for some nice dark ceramic tinting and I can hardly wait!

Already made a cardboard cover for the window switches so I don't accidentally roll them down before the tint is "cured".

Pictures Pending once the deed is done
If you don't mind posting, what kind of price for ceramic ?
Prices here are crazy !!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Make sure it's legal. See people getting tickets all the time on Live PD for having too dark a tint.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well known and reputable local shop using LLUMAR FormulaOne Pinnacle
50% fronts, 35% Rears
$350 for the whole car which, while not cheap, is a solid price for actual ceramic (heat rejection) tinting.

Virginia
Front side windows: 50%
Rear side windows: 35% / no limit
Back window: 35% / no limit
Windshield: down to AS1 marking
Tint reflection: no more than 20% reflective

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So jealous of those that can legally tint. PA is so restrictive that I don't even bother.
My Jeep had some pretty dark factory tinting and some of the most powerful vehicle A/C I've ever seen so I never really worried about it. Then I got the Volt where the A/C is good, but not nearly at the same level and also sucks on the battery so I figure if it will make cooling the car easier then YIPPEE :)

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
Make sure it's legal. See people getting tickets all the time on Live PD for having too dark a tint.
For the longest time it was illegal in IL to have tint on the driver or passenger side windows (because the PoPo was afraid that someone in the front seat could be pointing a gun at them, which is silly because there’s nothing preventing someone in the rear seat of a heavily tinted vehicle from pulling the trigger.)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I was quoted $325 for ceramic on my Volt, all side windows plus the rear window. It was $240 for metallic film and the basic cheap film was $175. Going in on Thursday.

I was leery of getting the metallic film because I read that it can block radio waves. I don't want to lose cell reception, and I was also worried about the keyless entry system (and maybe the TPMS) being able to function through the metallic film.

One of the benefits that helped sell me is the health benefits of the UV protection. But I will definitely appreciate the heat rejection this summer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got Ceramic Tint installed on my '14 about 2 weeks ago from a local "Mom and Pop" location that also part of the LLUMAR approved dealer network.
I have to double check my invoice when I go out to my car later, but iirc I got 35% on the Front, 5% on the back, and 35% on the main rear wind shield all for $270 and about 3 hours of my time. (They also included the smaller side windows too).
Not that it makes much of a difference to most, but it's been a big improvement with Texas's few 100+ degree days we've had so far.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well known and reputable local shop using LLUMAR FormulaOne Pinnacle
50% fronts, 35% Rears
$350 for the whole car which, while not cheap, is a solid price for actual ceramic (heat rejection) tinting.
That's an outstanding price.....can't touch that around here......ummmm.....maybe my next Virginia trip :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
My Jeep had some pretty dark factory tinting and some of the most powerful vehicle A/C I've ever seen so I never really worried about it. Then I got the Volt where the A/C is good, but not nearly at the same level and also sucks on the battery so I figure if it will make cooling the car easier then YIPPEE :)
The PA limit is 70% for passenger cars. I guess the ceramic tints might be beneficial, but a regular tint would be pointless at that VLT. That is for all windows on the car. The silly thing is that a truck or SUV (as long as it is built on a truck frame or designed for occasional offroad use, so station wagons or minivans fall into the passenger car category) has no limit on the back side windows and rear window. So is this really a safety thing for the officers, or just some BS regulation to be able to tack something else on someone's moving violation?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
The PA limit is 70% for passenger cars. I guess the ceramic tints might be beneficial, but a regular tint would be pointless at that VLT. That is for all windows on the car. The silly thing is that a truck or SUV (as long as it is built on a truck frame or designed for occasional offroad use, so station wagons or minivans fall into the passenger car category) has no limit on the back side windows and rear window. So is this really a safety thing for the officers, or just some BS regulation to be able to tack something else on someone's moving violation?
As far as I can tell, it's the automotive equivalent of dress codes. Doesn't actually MEAN anything on a practical basis, but discourages people that like the wrong things from being around.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick n' Dirty "before" photos.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Enjoy! The first week I had mine I took it in for 12% rear (limo), 20% front, 55% windshield with a 12% strip (eyebrow) across the top. I love that the only thing you can see from the outside is my dashboard, maybe the steering wheel if the lighting is optimal. Yes it's very much illegal in CA, but so is driving 66mph, not stopping for 2 seconds at a stop sign, lane changes without signal, et al. :rolleyes:

After having a dozen vehicles tinted over the years I would suggest you park in a dark area (shadow of a tree, in a garage, etc) with the windows facing daylight. This will let you check for any gaps in tint, it'll be very obvious if they missed an edge or didn't get a clean cut. Also check around the window sills and floorboards for scraps of tint. Any decent shop will clean up after themselves, but I've had shops leave trimmings all over the place for "me" to clean up :mad:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice looking....great job :)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Super cool. ….but I wouldn't want to have to pay any fines if it's too dark or made to have it removed.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Super cool. ….but I wouldn't want to have to pay any fines if it's too dark or made to have it removed.
You "hope you don't get a ticket" people need to read the thread. It's Virginia legal 50% front 35% rear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts