GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in-laws are coming into town this week, and are staying for 1 week and we will make a couple of road trips while they're here. My family is 4 people + 2 in-laws...so 6 people total. Unfortunately, no way either of my Volts can fit 6 people in 1 car (and no, I'm not driving 2 cars into NYC...screw that), so I had to find some wheels everyone could pile into.

I toyed with possibly renting a 5+2 Model S, but after news of 2 kids getting killed when a SUV smashed into the rear of an S, I "killed" that idea. Then I toyed with renting a Model X from someone, but the financial math just didn't work out. Plus I didn't want to get stuck somewhere hundreds of miles away with a fluky falcon wing door stuck open.

So I temporarily lent my soul to the OPEC devil (and turned in my man card) and rented a Dodge Grand Caravan :eek: for the next week. Man, this thing is a whale! And gulps gas like people do at a pizza buffet! Feels like an ocean liner on the roads. Have to admit though, the interior space is crazy. With my kids sitting in the rear, it feels like they are in the car behind me they are so far away.

· Registered
4,101 Posts
Mini-vans get a bad rap, but they are actually pretty handy. Just wear a disguise so none of your friends can see you. :D

The biggest issue with facing backwards is car sickness. If somebody is prone to motion sickness, going backwards aggravates it.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Over the course of 100 or so miles of driving, I'm actually averaging over 25 mpg in this beast....not too horrible I guess? For a ginormous gas-mobile.

Plus the rental costs were through the floor! 8 days in this thing for just over $320 total. A Model X rental was that much for 1 day.:eek:

· Registered
3,355 Posts
Every time I need something that my Volt or Buick can't handle, I just walk the 3 blocks to the rental place and pick out what I need. ;)

· Registered
6,863 Posts
I have read some folks get seriously car sick in the kinder seats in the back of the MS and the lack of any HVAC vents back their is troubling. If you spend $4K on the kinder seats option you'd think that would include some HVAC ducts back there.

Use the right tool for the job. Sounds like a wise choice to me. I was given a new Chrysler mini van on business trip and I actually enjoyed it. We had 4 BIG guys and all our gear and it accommodated everything with ease and it actually drove very nice.

· Registered
10,014 Posts
Honda Odyssey is also a capable mini-van (although I wouldn't call these two 'mini' at this point). My sister has an older one and it just runs like the energizer bunny.

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
Hope you have a good trip. 25 MPG is really quite good. My nephew has a Sprinter so I understand why they use the term "mini". You also got a great price.

I keep saying GM should have a rental program for its BEVs. Would work better than chargers. On the other hand, my nephew, the one with the Sprinter, went to a wedding in Flagstaff with a friend in the friend's Model S. He was laughing at how many stops they had to make but said it worked out. His friend took his grandmother along and she welcomed the frequent and long breaks. So yes, the right tool for the job.

· Registered
1,342 Posts
It's called using the right tool for the job. If you have to carry around 6 people you need a mini-van, that's what they are designed for, there is no shame in that. The Volt is a two adult car. The back seat might be adequate for small children but you wouldn't want to put an adult back there for any extended period. I'd confess to the Lindbergh baby kidnapping if I was forced to sit in the backseat of my Volt.

· Registered
3,504 Posts
Majority of vehicles on the road cannot take 6 passengers - not exactly a volt-specific issue ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.