GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2259 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Note the below attached images (hope this works!)

This info came from an Ottawa, Ontario dealer who indicated he could go online and "build out" a 2012 Canadian Volt. Yesterday, though MSRP pricing is out, I was told Volts weren't yet 'orderable' so I didn't really believe the dealer....but then he sent this. He indicates he has all the option pricing, even though it says W/A in the images.

Note the new paints and the change to the audio system. Things generally seem inline with 2012 info previously discussed in these forums and leaked here:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/meet-your-2012-chevrolet-car-lineup-102250/
Though the UP9 option doesn't seem to show up in what my dealer sent.

I'm going to try to dig deeper into this with various dealers here - and if at all possible, get my order actually placed with my dealer of choice!

Oh....as a fresh rumour....the same dealer that provided these images said to me about a month ago: "It is my understanding that they are not going to let us order but just deliver some to the dealers." I've questioned twice today if that's still his believe, but he's dodging answering. I find the rumour hard to believe....but he DOES seem to be ahead of the curve with his Volt info....so maybe.

Anyone (ie. GM employees??) have any comment on any of this stuff?

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Love this spy stuff, keep em comin'..;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is similar info to what I started the thread with. But THIS is from the dealer I'm going to buy from...and includes option pricing!

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Now THIS is juicy! It's from yet another dealer I'm in contact with. It's the 2012 Volt Initial Ordering Workbook! Unfortunately, while the two new colours are documented, it's such early info they don't show a colour chip.

Anyone finding this stuff interesting?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
But THIS is from the dealer I'm going to buy from...and includes option pricing!
Of interest, the Luxo Blue Metallic is a zero cost option. Now the debate is, is the Canadian Luxo Blue the same as the announced US Topaz Blue?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Awesome info maestro -- but I can't read the pricing in your JPGs. Could just type the option prices in a post, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested? Or use the "advanced" button & attach the PDFs, rather than PDF->JPG which is a bit blurry at the settings you are using.

I assume this is all in Canadian dollars. I'm particularly interested in the audio & nav options pricing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Awesome info maestro -- but I can't read the pricing in your JPGs. Could just type the option prices in a post, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested? Or use the "advanced" button & attach the PDFs, rather than PDF->JPG which is a bit blurry at the settings you are using.

I assume this is all in Canadian dollars. I'm particularly interested in the audio & nav options pricing.

Thanks stephent. I have been using the 'Advanced" button to add files....but it seems that I'm either an idiot or was to bleary eyed to notice that PDF was a valid upload extension. I specifically looked when I did this, and was dismayed to see that to my surprise it wasn't an acceptable format. But I was wrong (duh!). Looking a second time now I see that PDF is accepted. I'll go back now and see if I can replaced my JPGs with PDF.

Yeah - would be Canadian dollars.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done. Obviously that's now much better!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi - been following the site for years. Put my deposit down at an Ottawa dealer last month for a Volt. In addition to the info above I learned from well placed source at GM Canada the following:

The premium trim level includes perforated leather appointed seat trim, leather wrapped steering wheel, heated driver and front passenger seats and premium door trim. The MSRP for this option is $1,695.

The DVD Navigation system is now optional just like it will be in US and will be $2,295 - which all things considering isn't to bad.

Looks like however those that bought the 2011 in the U.S. got the real deal here. Frankly tho, I am just happy that it will be coming to Canada!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just out of curiosity, which dealer have you been working with? I put a deposit down at Myers back in December, and was told then that the cars would be orderable in late April or early May, which was pretty close to reality. I'll call them tomorrow; I was the second person to put down a deposit at Myers, I imagine I'd get one of the first ones to be ordered.

I was hoping that they would offer cloth heated seats in Canada considering the climate. My wife and I aren't big fans of leather (cold in winter, warm and sticky in summer), but the climate control seems to need the heated seats to work properly.

At least GM didn't pull a Nissan move and jack up the price excessively in Canada. Hopefully the Ontario government will get their act together and apply the PHEV rebate directly to the bill of sale.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm a little disappointed to see the Nav is a $3000 option($2295 for nav + $685 for required Bose speakers) when it was included in the 2011 that we couldn't buy...I guess I'll just get the Bose speakers and the polished rims instead. I know where I'm going anyways.

Just glad to see some real numbers! Thanks a million for all the great info maestro77 !!:D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, which dealer have you been working with? I put a deposit down at Myers back in December, and was told then that the cars would be orderable in late April or early May, which was pretty close to reality. I'll call them tomorrow; I was the second person to put down a deposit at Myers, I imagine I'd get one of the first ones to be ordered.

I was hoping that they would offer cloth heated seats in Canada considering the climate. My wife and I aren't big fans of leather (cold in winter, warm and sticky in summer), but the climate control seems to need the heated seats to work properly.

At least GM didn't pull a Nissan move and jack up the price excessively in Canada. Hopefully the Ontario government will get their act together and apply the PHEV rebate directly to the bill of sale.

I couldn't agree more with your desire for heated seats in the CLOTH base version. From what I've read, cabin heating in the Volt leaves a lot to be desired (that's just about the only negative I've ever heard!). Thus, for myself, I pretty much feel heated seats are a 'must have' for our climate here in Ottawa. So I'm forced to upgrade to leather....which I don't particularly care about. ;-(

About which dealer I'm using. I contacted 13 different dealers - everyone within an hour of Ottawa back in Jan 2010. Asked them to put me at the top of their waiting list for purchasing a Volt. Very few actually had a list at that point - so I was #1 at almost every dealer back then (many decided to create a list based on my contact). Interestingly, the exception was Myers (Baseline) where even way back then I was only #3. Is that the Myers you're using? Perhaps not since if you only put the deposit down in Dec you should have been further down the list than #2. Note there are also Chevy Myers dealers in Orleans and Kanata. Several of the dealers I contact were, to put it mildly, 'shmucks' (substitute your own more harsh adjective). But many were good and so I chose the very best guy (who has been REALLY excellent so far) and he's not just a sales guy, but is a manager, at Kanata Myers. By good fortune that's ALSO the closes dealer to me. And also fortunately they're very large and so are sure to get a decent allocation for the first wave. He didn't insist on a deposit - just went ahead and made me #1. It was MY specific request to complete a purchase agreement document (states I get their very first Volt) and give him a $500 deposit. Wanted to be darn sure my #1 spot wasn't lost if he left the dealership or whatever. He was totally understanding and agreeable. Great guy. So all that was Feb 2010. I'm an eager beaver! ;-)

Oh yeah...as far as dealers jacking up the price....I have it in writing (in an email) that he will not charge me above MSRP. Remains to be seen if some Ottawa dealers try that.

therfman, I'm curious what dealership your working with - so perhaps write back specifically which Myers. How are you finding them so far? My deal isn't fully done yet....but based on my experience so far, I'd REALLY recommend my guy. I could PM you his name/info if you desired.

Last comment. About the Ontario Gov't Electric Vehicle Incentive. If you review the gov't web site you'll see that the rebate can optionally be provided at purchase - and the dealer then claims on your behalf. The Order Guide PDF I posted a few comments above also has GM informing it's dealers that the rebate comes off the purchase price.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a little disappointed to see the Nav is a $3000 option($2295 for nav + $685 for required Bose speakers) when it was included in the 2011 that we couldn't buy...I guess I'll just get the Bose speakers and the polished rims instead. I know where I'm going anyways.

Just glad to see some real numbers! Thanks a million for all the great info maestro77 !!:D

You're very welcome wainair. I'm happy to share what I've learned with other Canadians.

Thanks to you for pointing out that you MUST purchase the $685 Bose Speaker option in order to purchase the $2295 Navigation System option. I'd not noticed that! How ridiculous. Don't forget about 13% HST on top of it all. Man, if I had been considering getting the Nav, I've now put that out of my mind for sure. I'll just use my Android phone for free with it's built in GoogleMaps Navigation! ;-)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
2012 Canadian MSRP will be $41,545 (USD $43,610 at current exchange rates). I'm not sure how much that compares to what the 2012 US prices will be.

http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/index.php/Volt/2012-chevy-volt-pricing-announced-in-canada.html
Forget about simply using the dollar's exchange rate to convert the Canadian pricing into US funds. Well, I guess you could do that if you came up to Canada and purchased, and then imported the vehicle into the States. But I'm assuming you won't. ;-)

Notwithstanding the current strength of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar, the exact same car in Canada (in $CAN) is always more (usually much more) that the care in the US (in $US). Perhaps there are duties, or whatever, that get levied that make selling the car in Canada more expensive. Though, I thought free trade was supposed to remove that. Perhaps it has something to do if the vehicle base built in a US factory or Canadian factory. I dunno. But in any case, it's a HUGE source of frustration for Canadians since it's so unfair now that our dollar is worth more. As a side note, even things like paperback books cost maybe 15% more in Canad EVEN with our dollar worth more (books have both Canadian and US prices printed right on the back cover!). Way unfair and WAY annoying!

Anyway, back to cars. Before Canadian pricing was announced, I estimated Volt pricing in Canada using the top end Camaro. The Canadian price in $CAN dollars is a full 20% higher than the US price. Why? Because car companies can get away with it since Canadians are used to that from back when our dollar was much weaker.

The 2012 Canadian Volt is only 5% more expensive than the 2011 US Volt. But that small percent difference is doubtless because it's a 'lesser' Volt with the Nav system removed from the base version and only 3 years of OnStar, etc. I'm sure the US 2012 Volt will be priced less than the US 2011 Volt. GM's taken a lot of heat about price...and are clearly making some things optional to get the MSRP of the base version down.

When 2012 Volt pricing in the States is announced, I think you can rest assured it will be significantly lower than the Canadian prices you're seeing talked about in this thread.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I couldn't agree more with your desire for heated seats in the CLOTH base version. From what I've read, cabin heating in the Volt leaves a lot to be desired (that's just about the only negative I've ever heard!). Thus, for myself, I pretty much feel heated seats are a 'must have' for our climate here in Ottawa. So I'm forced to upgrade to leather....which I don't particularly care about. ;-(

About which dealer I'm using. I contacted 13 different dealers - everyone within an hour of Ottawa back in Jan 2010. Asked them to put me at the top of their waiting list for purchasing a Volt. Very few actually had a list at that point - so I was #1 at almost every dealer back then (many decided to create a list based on my contact). Interestingly, the exception was Myers (Baseline) where even way back then I was only #3. Is that the Myers you're using? Perhaps not since if you only put the deposit down in Dec you should have been further down the list than #2. Note there are also Chevy Myers dealers in Orleans and Kanata. Several of the dealers I contact were, to put it mildly, 'shmucks' (substitute your own more harsh adjective). But many were good and so I chose the very best guy (who has been REALLY excellent so far) and he's not just a sales guy, but is a manager, at Kanata Myers. By good fortune that's ALSO the closes dealer to me. And also fortunately they're very large and so are sure to get a decent allocation for the first wave. He didn't insist on a deposit - just went ahead and made me #1. It was MY specific request to complete a purchase agreement document (states I get their very first Volt) and give him a $500 deposit. Wanted to be darn sure my #1 spot wasn't lost if he left the dealership or whatever. He was totally understanding and agreeable. Great guy. So all that was Feb 2010. I'm an eager beaver! ;-)

Oh yeah...as far as dealers jacking up the price....I have it in writing (in an email) that he will not charge me above MSRP. Remains to be seen if some Ottawa dealers try that.

therfman, I'm curious what dealership your working with - so perhaps write back specifically which Myers. How are you finding them so far? My deal isn't fully done yet....but based on my experience so far, I'd REALLY recommend my guy. I could PM you his name/info if you desired.

Last comment. About the Ontario Gov't Electric Vehicle Incentive. If you review the gov't web site you'll see that the rebate can optionally be provided at purchase - and the dealer then claims on your behalf. The Order Guide PDF I posted a few comments above also has GM informing it's dealers that the rebate comes off the purchase price.

I went to Myers on Baseline, which would be my first choice since they're very close to my house and I could walk to/from service appointments. They also took a 500$ deposit. I had e-mailed the five Chevy dealerships within metro Ottawa, and Myers was the only one that responded, so I went to see them. They were very good, completed a draft bill of sale stating in writing that they would not charge over list price. The last time I spoke to the rep, he said they were getting a larger allocation than anticipated, so there may be enough to go around for the bleeding edge adopters like us.

As for the leather seats, I'll leave that choice up to my wife. I'm not a chilly guy and I find that the heat in conventional vehicles is too strong, so I'd probably be OK with the Volt, especially when preconditioned. My wife gets chilly much more than I, she may want the seats. I'd like the black/green interior, but not enough to pay 1700$ for it.

I'll call them up later today to see if I can get in to order the car before leaving for New Mexico on Monday.

Luc

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
A couple of additional Canadian tidbits (would that be back bacon bits?) ;)

- 3 years of "Destinations and Connections" On-Star is included in the base MSRP (as is the case for the USA as well for 2012 model year)
- destination charges are $1440 CAD and AFAIK are NOT included in MSRP in Canada
- There is also a $100 CAD federal air-conditioning excise tax added to the invoice for all cars sol in into the Canadian market when equipped with A/C
- as in the 2011 USA cars the only method to get the highly efficient "heated front seats" option is to order the "Premium Interior" package with leather trim for $1695 CAD (RPO:pCQ)

* The available 2012 MY Canadian paint, seat, and trim combos are shown in the matrix below (the seat/trim combination column listed as available will appear with an "X" in the paint section and "--" denotes unavailable)

HTH
WOT

Attachments

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
* The available Canadian paint, seat, and trim combos are shown in the matrix below (the seat/trim combination column listed as available will appear with an "X" in the paint section and "--" denotes unavailable)
Do you know if "Luxo Blue Metallic" is the same color as the "Topaz Blue" said to be available in the US? Are the other trim options (like AFI frosted nickle and the stock frosted nickle) available in the US as well? I don't recall seeing them in the US options package.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If anyone is interested, I found a site that shows Luxo Blue for 2012: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolor/choosecolor.aspx?year=2012&make=Chevrolet&model=Volt

Some of the other colours are off though, so take it with a grain of salt. I was hoping for a lighter blue than this however. I had a bright blue Cavalier many years ago. The Blue was the colour of windshield washer fluid. I would have loved something like that. I may end up getting a black or white Volt after all...

1 - 20 of 2259 Posts