GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I will be picking up my new 2017 Volt Premier in Iridescent Pearl with all the options, and I'm turning in my leased 2014 Volt. My buy-out price on the 2014 was $21,700 and the purchase price for a comparable used 2014 was between $14-16k. I called up Ally to see if they were open to lower the buy-out price, and they wouldn't budge at all, otherwise I would have kept my 2014. This time I was a bit smarter. I performed a purchase instead of a lease, and with the end of year just around the corner I will be able to recover the tax credit quickly. As much as I like my 2014 I must admit the new model is a really nice improvement. The only part I didn't like was the deletion of the lower rear glass panel, which reduces the rear view verses the 2014. I also considered a Bolt when available, however with no DC charging in Naples those day trips wouldn't be possible. I plan on keeping this one a very long time. :)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Congrats! I will say you were smarter originally for leasing the Gen1 as if you wanted to sell it today, you would have been hosed on the deprecation...Yet this time around you say you're going to drive it for a long time so in that sense it is smart to buy!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only reason the residual was so high is Ally didn't include the tax credit as a capital cost reduction, otherwise my buyout would have been $14,200. I admit I seriously messed up on the 2014 financially speaking, as a consequence of a time crunch.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Considering I paid $21,700 for my used 2016 a month ago, it's ridiculous that Ally would expect you to pay that for your 2014.

I plan to keep mine for a long time as well, in fact I (half seriously) have told my wife the '16 will be our son's first car...and he turns 2 on Monday!

Congrats on the '17 and enjoy the new features!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So the new 2017 is now home and my 2014 is returned :). Once I put on the first coat of wax I'll take some pictures and post, as well as my comparison of the two models as I get some time with the vehicle in.

While I was there I asked about the expected availability of the Bolt. According to the dealership it's expected in Florida in June. :( While there another Volt leasee was also turning in hers, and wanted to buy the Bolt, however was stuck due to the lease end date. The Bolt may prove to be quite popular for Chevy; 2017 will be an interesting year in EV adoption.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts