GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
It's never happened to me, I'll have to purposely try it... I guess if you got a new car and never read the manual you might do it. Isn't it lit up blue all the time?

MrEnergyCzar

1,214 Posts
Thanks voltbeaupre- I too will challenge what I consider bad press about our Amazing Chevy Volt EREV! I do give credit to the folks at driving-dutchman.com for this apparent quick non time stamped "update" that you may not of seen.........

"Update:
Over the past few days we have asked colleagues in the automotive industry to perform new tests and they experienced the following:
Indeed it is possible to switch off the power while driving, by hitting the power button twice. However, brake and steering help functions remain intact until the car has come to a complete stop. Only after full stop, brake and steering assist is gone (as is regular with any car with the ignition turned off). After stopping completely you can re-power the car and drive again. This is a built-in safety feature and works perfect in the cars we drove. Besides that, if you press the power button the first time, there is a clear warning signal (“ping”) that you do something which is out of the ordinary. In addition to the audio signal a message on the dashboard is displayed, reconfirming if you are sure that you want to switch the power off. Any driver that ignores both warnings is clearly not paying attention. Test-drivers furthermore noted that accidentally hitting the power button instead of the drive mode button seems not very logical. If you want to switch between drive modes in the Ampera, you have to look at the button in order to find it. Even when feeling without looking the buttons have a distinctly different shape. The drive mode button is and feels flat. The power button is and feels rounded.

Our conclusion is that although the particular Ampera on test may have had a problem, loosing brake power before it came to a full stop, no distributors received any such complaints as far as we know. The only thing we can say is that the positioning of the power button is pretty close to the drive mode button. It would be better to separate the buttons further from one another. Placing the power button on the steering column and the drive mode button on the dashboard would eliminate any potential mishap. Ergonomics dear engineers… Readers with an Ampera or Volt, are invited to share their experiences in the comments below!"

Best! Thomas J. Thias

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think the reason this might occur for some drivers is because, if you want to engage "sport" mode, you need to hit the drive button twice quickly. So they fat-finger it onto the power button and hit it twice. I've twice hit the power button once on accident, but never shut the car off.

Its not a big deal, their update sums it up pretty nicely.

Its probably also really silly that the power button is there. It could be anywhere, on the roof even.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Actually I'd prefer it the other way around. Leave the power button where it is and put the mode button on the steering wheel. Since you use the mode button while driving and not the power button. And depending on the trip you may use the mode button several times.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
It's never happened to me, I'll have to purposely try it... I guess if you got a new car and never read the manual you might do it. Isn't it lit up blue all the time?

MrEnergyCzar
you can't blame a perfectly great car for driver inattention...that's an error that will mostly likely not be repeated..live and learn

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Never hide the emergency stop button.
It needs to be very easy to find. You can restart the volt with out comming to a stop.
You might want to practice that a few times.

And yes moving the mode button could help.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
It did it once, the first day I got the car. And yes, I was hot dogging the Sport mode button.

I recommend everyone do this on purpose (turn off the car while in D/L) to see how it responds and also to practice putting in N to restart. That way, you won't be floundering if you do it by accident.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
What if you drive with a dog on your lap and it likes to poke its nose at stuff on the dash? :)
That's not me - but some drivers out there do drive with "dog on board". (I've always scratched my head at that one)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What if you drive with a dog on your lap and it likes to poke its nose at stuff on the dash? :)
That's not me - but some drivers out there do drive with "dog on board". (I've always scratched my head at that one)
I take my dogs with me everywhere I go, most of the time they ride in the back inside a travel cage. On rare occasions they ride in the passenger seat where they are quite and well behaved. The second they get frisky the go into the cage.

PS back on topic, the only time I shut off the car was when I did it to test it out, I do practice turning it off occasionally

·
Registered
850 Posts
I did it once and almost did it a few other times, while switching to mountian mode, the second press out of the three dose it as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Today for the first time I mistakenly pressed the blue power button while I was traveling around 30-40 mph. Luckily I was about to coast to a stoplight and once I made the stop I found that I had to put into park before I could power back on. Found out in another thread that you can move your shifter into neutral and then press the blue power button and it will cut on for that as well. Good to know for future reference. I was getting used to the general area for the driving mode button and simply selected the power button underneath it. Live and learn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I did this too, fourth trip with the car, and I was trying to put it in sport without looking.

Did it on a freeway onramp with a tailgater so it wasn't the best timing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts