GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you on some sort of time of use plan with your electricity supplier, what percentage of your total usage is during the off peak time frame?
I'm looking at the pseg plan here in NJ and based on my current usage, in addition to charging my car at night, around 32% of my other usage (non car related) needs to happen at night just to break even with the standard plan.

This puts me at about 30% peak and 70% off peak for the breakdown of my total usage in order to break even.

Technically all the weekend usage should represent about 25% of my total (8 weekend days a month / 31 days total) but I feel like I am barely home on weekends anyway.

Any real world examples you have of your actual peak and off peak split of your total usage?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I'm running about 78% off-peak (car is always charged off-peak unless I override, which is rare except in winter preconditioning)

We don't get to pick between rate plans, you're either assigned TOU or you're not (fixed rate plan)
I've tracked my TOU costs against RPP (fixed) and over the last year I'm actually doing 0.3-0.6c/kWh better on TOU than I would on RPP.

It is due to the volt charging adding 'bulk' and it all being off-peak. Prior to volt ownership, I was usually +0.1-0.2c/kWh vs RPP.

Your rate numbers will probably change the picture, but that's how mine worked out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just signed up for a TOU plan here in PA that has supply for $.129/kwh day and free at night (9PM - 6AM), compared to about $.079/kwh fixed. There's $.045/kwh on top of all that for distribution. Over the past two months I've managed 35% peak, 65% off-peak. But I'm pretty light on the electricity usage besides charging the Volt. The Volt is taking 200 - 230 kwh/month, and in April/May (low heating/cooling demand) my total usage including the Volt is running around 430 kwh/month. I figure keeping the Volt charged with this plan results in a net increase in my electric bill of $10/month, which isn't bad for the 800 miles or so that the electricity is providing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here are my power usage numbers for the past year. You can see that the last few months show a higher off-peak usage since that is when I bought my Volt, which charges only during off-peak hours.

bill date on-pk off-pk total off-pk
05/09/2016 307 536 843 64%
04/08/2016 314 705 1019 69%
03/10/2016 350 664 1014 65%
02/10/2016 439 689 1128 61%
01/12/2016 325 447 772 58%
12/10/2015 300 494 794 62%
11/09/2015 548 654 1202 54%
10/08/2015 792 973 1765 55%
09/09/2015 1097 1281 2378 54%
08/07/2015 951 1030 1981 52%
07/09/2015 884 1159 2043 57%
06/09/2015 597 636 1233 52%

Year Totals 6904 9267 16172 57%

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Also, if you find you are using too much during peak vs off peak changing a few habits would fix it. Don't do laundry or wash dishes during peak rates, and put a timer on the power cord to your water heater that only lets it heat water off peak. Water heaters have good insulation and if you are not doing laundry or running a dish washer you will have plenty of hot water during your peak times that was actually heated off peak.

Keith

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not all TOU plans are equal. Mine for Fall-Winter-Spring (which ended yesterday) "Peak" is from 4-10 pm @ 14.45 cents/kWh, "Off Peak" is 8.39 cents/kWh. Summer off peak is from 10 pm to 2 pm @ 8.35 cents/kWh, Peak from 2-4 pm and 7-10 pm is 12.85 cents/kWh and Peak from 4-7 pm is 23.55 cents/kWh. My last bill my Peak usage was about 20% of my total usage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Peak in the pseg plan in NJ is 7am-9pm Mon through Fri. All other times are off-peak.

I average 0.18 a kWh for the previous 12 months on the standard plan. My energy usage every month is pretty low. Only in the 300kwh range except for the summer months which are averaging 550 kWh.
That is all before my volt which I assume will require about 250 kWh per month.

I assumed the 250 kWh was all off peak and everything else was peak. This so certainly not the case but it is my base assumption. Then I calculated how much of that peak usage I'd need to bring to off peak just to break even. This number is 32%.

That brings me to about 30% peak 70% off peak for my total usage just to break even on the time of use rate plan.

So far, based on what I'm seeing here, the couple of you who posted the percent breakdown of peak and off peak usage are just at that level.

It sounds like it probably doesn't make sense to switch unless I truly believe 70% or more of my usage will be at night. And you guys are just barely making that in your real life experience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Utility: SCE
Plan: TOU-B

I recently switched a couple of months ago from a Tiered Rate plan to the TOU plan.
My wife and I each have a Volt so we need to consume about 20 - 24 kWh at night. Before we got the Volts, the Tiered plan seemed to be the best option since the only thing draining power were two computers and miscellaneous appliances throughout the day.

SCE has a breakdown for the last two months of usage as:
15% On Peak
32 - 35% Off Peak (Most usage is on the weekends for this and charging during these hours)
50%+ Super Off Peak
Approximate Usage of 900 to 1000 kWh per month

Now that June is here the rates have changed to:
On Peak: 32/c per kWh
Off Peak: 17/c per kWh
Super Off Peak: 13/c per kWh
Minimum Daily Charge: 54/c day

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what a TOU plan can do. As others have said, I think by adjusting the small things such as the dishwasher, heaters and what not to off peak hours is the best. Unfortunately for my work schedule I basically sleep before I even get to super off peak. So the savings will be had by the car!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
For those of you on some sort of time of use plan with your electricity supplier, what percentage of your total usage is during the off peak time frame?
I'm looking at the pseg plan here in NJ and based on my current usage, in addition to charging my car at night, around 32% of my other usage (non car related) needs to happen at night just to break even with the standard plan.

This puts me at about 30% peak and 70% off peak for the breakdown of my total usage in order to break even.

Technically all the weekend usage should represent about 25% of my total (8 weekend days a month / 31 days total) but I feel like I am barely home on weekends anyway.

Any real world examples you have of your actual peak and off peak split of your total usage?
My JCP&L rate options are probably not much different from those available from PSE&G. Since my home is often occupied during the day, going to a TOU plan does not make economic sense for me. Similarly, until I have an incentive to charge off-peak, I plug-in when it is most convenient for me to do so.

KNS

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have TOU for the car only, and about 95% of my charging is off-peak. I charge on-peak during evenings or weekends whenever there is the slightest chance that I might need the charge to avoid ICE operation. I use less than one tank of gas per year, almost all of it for out of town trips.

GSP

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
BGE offers no real incentive for TOU charging in MD. If you use TOU, your household rate becomes too high, negating any savings for using TOU to charge.

BGE simply does not care about EV charging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have TOU rates with Progress Energy. My current rates are:
off peak - $0.06943 / kWh
shoulder - $0.11381 / kWh
peak - $0.21343 / kWh

I have my Volt programmed to charge during off peak and shoulder times only. Occasionally, I have forced it to charge even during peak times if I know I need the juice to go somewhere fairly soon.

I have also been keeping statistics in a huge spreadsheet detailing my home power consumption since August 2015. After reading this post, I added a section to the spreadsheet that analyzed my Volt charging usage patterns and found that on average since 8/1/2015 until today, my TOU usage is as follows:

off peak - 63%
shoulder - 30%
on-peak - 7%

Overall, I have saved over $600 with TOU since August 2015. I have made improvements and optimizations in my electrical usage patterns that have made that even better in the last few months so I expect those savings to increase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good info, thanks.
The fact that you have a "shoulder" rate is great. What are the times for your peak, shoulder and off peak rates?

·
Registered
30 Posts
They didn't always have the shoulder rates. That started in April 2014. It does help.

The current TOU schedule is

April-September weekdays (summer)
11am-1pm shoulder
1pm-6pm peak
6pm-8pm shoulder
all else off-peak

October-March weekdays (winter)
6am-9am peak
9am-12pm shoulder
5pm-8pm shoulder
all else off peak

Weekends and holidays are all off peak.